Season Showdown

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Drifterbub, May 28, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Season Showdown

http://ncaafootball.easports.com/home.action

They posted part 2 of the new Season Showdown feature. There is nothing but complaining over at OS. What does everyone here honestly think?

I think its a novel idea, but I'm not sold on it yet. I hope you can turn it off. My fear is that some of the boosts will cause people to have 'super players' with little risk of being taken advantage of. Plus, I don't necessarily like the idea of being penalized for playing with teams other than the one you initially choose to represent. I think it undermines the idea of being in multiple online dynasties. I wonder if you are penalized for teambuilder teams? Hmmm.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't think season showdown will be affected by od's, I think its mainly for online ranked matches and playing against the cpu. I hope that the game strategy isn't overdone, it could be a great addition and it could ruin gameplay.

3. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

It's retarded.

4. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Season Showdown itself will be harmless fun, I think. Some people will get into it, some not, but I don't see how it could hurt the game.

What I do like is the setting up of various plays added to Adaptive A.I. Those two combined should really reward people for setting up a varied gameplan.

Not sure about the risk/reward scheme. Usually features like that end up rewarding risky gameplay too much.

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think the setting up of plays will be hit or miss. It could be really good if it was realistic. I just hope it doesn't set up money situations. Where someone can just have a gameplan consisting simply of dives and play action.

It just depends on how they do it, I guess. And, according to EA, shouldn't have this been in the game before? I mean, I thought if you established the run game, you would have a better chance of the D biting. Maybe they tweaked it to make it more noticeable.

6. Razcalking1978

If it does set up money plays, at least it should only work vs. the CPU. User control on the D (run left, run right, pass, etc) should off-set it.

7. jfosh

jfosh Super

I think what makes a game great is balance. If the O calls a play then the D should have something to counter it. Even if someone sets up that play action you can still counter it by selecting pass commit. I think the 100 % represents that the play is set up (you dont need to set it up anymore). It does not represent the odds of scuccess. If the latter is the case, that has no place in the game. You always have to have a counter.

Note on season showdown. You select the team you want to represent when you first get into the game. But that does not mean you have to play with that particular school in all your games. Your games with other teams will count as points for the team you selected initially. You will recieve more points if you play with the school you selected at the start. So in a nut shell every time you boot up that console your scoring points for your favorite school.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, but your loyalty rating takes a hit when you don't play with the school you selected. Not sure how much that matters. When you actually break everything down, it's quite complicated, lol.

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Well should we all adopt some random bcs buster team, or any not uber popular team and see if we can do some damage.

10. jfosh

jfosh Super

Loyalty - When you are choosing a school to represent, all credits you earn go towards that school, but that doesn't mean you have to use that school in every game you play, you will still earn credits for Notre Dame even if you wanted to start a dynasty with Kent State. However, when you do play with the school you represent, you will earn an additional loyalty bonus.

You just earn more points when playing with your school. No penalty for playing with another school. I think all the season showdown stuff has no bearing on in game play. It's just an added feature for what I don't know? I think its more of like a gamer score.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Ah, this is what confused me.

The key here is that he said bonus and not points, I guess.

12. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yep.....it's just a bonus for people who are into that type of thing

I doubt it will affect any of us that play the dynasties....Once the dynasties kick off I won't even be paying attention to Season Showdown to be honest

13. Razcalking1978

It's really just a giant popularity poll. The team that has the most fans will win. It would just be sad if someone sat there racking up points for the sole purpose of bumping up their team.

14. Razcalking1978

From the EA Blog:

"Selecting to play the pass will basically prevent your defenders from getting faked out by a play action play (which is a nice counter if you know your opponent is going to run a setup play action play). "

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah a lot of people will play that pass though and just manually try to stop the run. Obviously that will only work if the feature is overdone, which has been known to happen.