Season Three Expectations vs Reality

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by fuzzyl0gic, Mar 24, 2013.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

How is your season panning out compared to how you projected your success with building your team through FA/the draft/trades? I have one of the best rosters I've ever had in Madden with my Colts this year, and I'm doing simply terrible (4-6). I have four decent running backs, great WRs/TEs, great oline, great defensive line and secondary (get a ton of sacks), yet it is my dumb decision making in games that constantly gets me into trouble. That is a frustrating realization. The Patriots put up 41 on me, but I threw SIX interceptions. It was 14-14 late into the second.

Any of my opponents please feel free to chime in, what could I do differently to not put myself in those situations? Constructive criticism is welcome. I've lost some close ones as well.

TMFL

• Like Like x 2
  2. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I don't know either, lol.

I do the same shit. I keep the game close or even have a 2 score lead and then I make a key turnover and just keep compounding it trying to make up for the mistake.

If you figure it out let me know.

3. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Don't get greedy (greedy is the only word I could think of at the moment). In our game, very late in the game, you got greedy and threw that pick. I took it to your 30-25 yard line and scored two plays later. Other than that you did well to put your team in a position to win.

4. fuzzyl0gic

I always seem to do this. I am anti-clutch, lol. That pick was so terrible. Greedy is a good word, I could have settled for a few more runs and a FG to be in a way better position. The fake punt run was also a huge risk/reward, that is obviously something you do very rarely.

5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Yea, when it was taking you awhile to pick your play I thought the fake punt was going. Luckily Greene and Demps held you just short of the 1st down marker. You are definitely right about it being risk/reward though. If you get it, you have some huge mo and could win the game so I'm glad it worked out in my favor... this time :p

6. fuzzyl0gic

I tend to not check-down or look for my second, third, and fourth options enough. If I threw the ball away occasionally (is that right stick click?) and scrambled a bit more I bet I'd eliminate 75% of my current interceptions. I think I've scrambled once all year, and Luck has some wheels. I'm actually not looking forward to our match-up, your team seems very good this year with Vick.

7. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

I'm right where I expected to be. Sucks that I lost a sim to the Browns, but at 6-4 with a rookie QB, I'd say I'm doing alright at 6-4 with a good lead in the AFC West.

What has been unexpected is just how strong some of my draft picks have been. I knew Madison would be good but TE V.J. Smith and LE Paul Andrews have been beastly for me. Easily the best draft I've ever had, offline or online.

8. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

If I can't get Vick off this cold streak it won't matter.

I was looking at my schedule earlier and my final 4 games are brutal, so maybe I'll be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by the time we get to our game, lol.

9. fuzzyl0gic

I very well could be as well, I HAVE to win out. A tall task the way things have been going.

10. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

When I entered this season, I felt this has been the best team Ive ever assembled in terms of talent from top to bottom. I have great depth and knew that this team could be special.

I have tried hard on not trying to force things, and to let the running game depict the flow of the game a little more. I have always had a little bit of a Brett Farve personality in which I felt I could squeeze the ball into any spot and make a completion, but this year I have tried my best to stay away from throws I shouldnt make even though the reward lots of times were big plays.

Matt Ryan's overall numbers are down in yardage but it so much more efficient that he has ever been.

Defensively, I am not giving up too many big plays this year. I think a different mentality in which I am trying to force users to convert numerous first downs in order to score has helped me play a different style.

11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Given how I opened up the virtual pocketbook I was expecting to make a Super Bowl run , but my schedule has been brutal. I came out and played both NFC championship teams in weeks 1-2 , then I also had to play Keller and 6-0 Jets later (who I beat :D ). I missed two games that I lost via AP & SIM , so I am at 4-5 but 1-0 in division with a win over the Rams.

I think I can still get into the playoffs by way of winning the NFW West , but I may need some help. Does not help my week 17 game is against New England too :(

Oh and I am missing Lynch and Bruce Irvin for extended time here down the stretch too :mad:

12. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Jacksonville was shooting for a winning record this season after steadily improving the last two years.
    2012 - 3-13
    2013 - 7-9
    2014 - 3-6 so far...

The schedule has been tough and Gabbert has been cold most of the season. I have also been without my starting OLBs (93 and 85 overall). And Laurent Robinson has been out for 5 weeks... he really helps balance the field for Gabbert and get the coverage attention off Blackmon. All in all, I have learned some new strategies on D, but its been a disappointing season up to this point. We are just going to keep fighting.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Not as well as expected, we have been plagued by really bad luck on fumbles, penalties at the worst possible times and inaccurate QB play to the point of being ridiculous. Cam Newton has been a huge disappointment this season, we gave him all that money really upgraded his short and medium passing and also his pa ability and on PA we get guys running open and Cam will miss them by ten yards.

We have lost some very close games where his play and missed throws have lead to losses.

Injuries have hurt us as well. We just haven't played as well as I expected, but we are young and should get better we have some young talent and lots of money to spend this offseason.

Our oline hasn't been very good, our dline has been dormant since Johnson got hurt. Looking forward to next year.

14. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

What is Newton's consistency rating?

15. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I was expecting another year of getting my dick kicked in, but we've been playing fairly well. Titarius Hayes has been a surprise filling in for Hunter.

16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Oh its early friend , your schedule is about to be brutal lol

17. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The Bills are fine outside of 3 simulation losses and a loss to the Jets where I was distracted by Moon and Shaun. I will try and get back on track and make a wildcard run - this team is good enough to win, I know that much. Osweiler could be a little better sure but this season and next, the team is peaking. Its time to go win.

Not sure what I'm going to do with all my draft picks yet..... 3 first rounders.... anyone want to trade me a stud defensive playmaker?

18. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Coming off back to back Superbowl seasons, our expectations were high once again. We didn't win the division last year, so that was the first goal we wanted to accomplish this season. Currently we're having a good season with our lone loss being a sim loss. After season 1, we lost Wes Welker to free agency because we weren't paying him what he thought he was worth, after season 2, we lost Deion Branch and Randy Moss to retirement. We expected to lose Moss but Branch was a surprise, so we were really unprepared and came into the season deciding just to go with who we had instead of trying to find a free agent or trade for a receiver. Lloyd, our number 1 looked great the first two weeks but then had a 5 week injury and surprisingly, Julian Edellman has really been the surprise of this team as he has 46 receptions for 690 yards and 4 touchdowns so far. He's earned his contract extension for next season.

Brady, however, has played very careless throwing more picks this season already than he has the last two seasons + playoffs combined. Not very good, especially since the team has to make a decision on franchise tagging him, letting him walk, or the 3rd option, he could retire. Unfortuantley, we haven't gotten to see Ryan Mallett pass yet because when he comes into the game, it's strictly to hand the ball off. Still a lot of time for New England to make a decision on the future though.

Defensively, it seems like everything is finally coming together for this highly touted defensive line. Vincent Wilfork, Chandler Jones, and Osi Umenyiora combine for 24 sacks so far on the season. McCourty and Mathis have been pretty solid defensively with 4 interceptions each.

Biggest Surprise: Nate Ebner. In Season 1, Patrick Chung was the starter and got hurt around week 11 and 12 for the season. Ebner came in, and did a solid, but not spectacular job, and when Chung decided not the resign with us, Ebner took over the starting duties permanently. He had a decent year last season, but we still wanted to find a better SS to play. We didn't find one and Ebner won the job again by default. Well this season, Ebner has a FF, 2 interceptions, 8 deflections, and a sack. He's playing much better than we thought his abilities were capable of.

All and all, our record is where we want it, but our play is not. We're 2 wins away from locking up a playoff spot for sure, but we'll need to play a lot better if we plan on making another run. It could be Brady's last.

19. Baron

You are just the worst kind of person.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

says the guy who stole my draft pick....

21. Baron

I can't steal what was never yours! :p

22. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Before the season started I didn't think I would do too much except knock some rust off. Surprisingly I did well winning 6 games and keeping my losses really close games. It sucks my training is going to take two weeks so I'll be ready for a full season next year!

Offensively: My WR Corp has done well for all being FA's (Armon Binns, Donald Jones and Nick Toon). My two rookies on the OL have played pretty well and has provided Schaub with time and Foster strong running lanes. QB Matt Schaub is straight up garbage and yes I feel the same way irl so I may be a little biased. lol

Defensively: I feel like I have a very strong defensive line and linebackers. The tremendous depth I have at both of those positions has allowed me to utilize their skills 100%. My secondary has done well and CB Kareem Jackson has worked his way into the #2 spot, and CB Brice McClain has moved up to the #3. Unfortunately CB Darius Dixon has not played well at all and has fallen down the depth chart. FS Glover Quin Jr has really pushed starter James Butler and will probably take the #1 spot next year.

23. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

The Bears are currently sitting at 7-3 and are leading the NFC North. I expected to do very well this season thanks to our offseason acquisitions. We acquired Justin Tuck via FA and we thought him and Peppers would wreak havoc, but they have only totaled 8 sacks this year combined. We are still forcing turnovers on defense with 20 INT's on the year. Our two major draft picks WR Mustafa Spain (88 ovr) and Matt Patrick (83) have both played very well. Spain has already shown to be a top talent at his position and Patrick has slipped perfectly into his Tampa 2 responsibilities.

Moving forward we hope to win the division and possibly secure home field for the playoffs. I think this team is one of the most talented in the league on paper, just gonna have to see if I can make another SB run.

2012:13-3
    2013:6-10
    2014:7-3?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Update on the Bills:

Huge comeback/lucky win over rival Patriots last night in a 27-24 shocker. We move to 7-4 on the season and have a firm grasp on the last wildcard spot over the drifting Texans(6-5) and the struggling Colts(5-6) and Raiders(5-6). The other wildcard team right now is the Jets(8-2). The AFCBEAST may have 3 playoff teams this year.

In other news, Mario Williams notches another sack, putting him at 18 on the year moving him even closer to breaking the single season sack record.

We preached last season that he needed to be more consistent (4 consistency now) and he needed to play better against the run (90bsh). Mario is showing he may very well be not only the best pass rusher in the TMFL but the most complete defensive end.

No word yet on the coaches official plans with Mario and whether or not they will let him go for the record. Unofficial word is that he has been taken off Nickel pass rush situations but will continue playing in base packages for run support.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  25. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Can't wait to be done with training!

• Like Like x 2