SEC championship

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Pac12Leader, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Pac12Leader

Pac12Leader Walk On

SEC championship

Ole Miss vs the Ole Ball Coach doesn't quite have the mystique of a Miami-FSU, Michigan-Ohio State or even Cal-Stanford for the Left Coasters, but Coach Houston Nutt and all of the Ole Miss followers on the message boards were tuned in for this new rivalry of traditional SEC doormats.

Ole Miss won the toss and elected to kickoff to the Gameroosters. After two balls were batted down, Stephen Garcia stepped up in the pocket and threw a beautiful corner route to Jason Barnes who slipped past the defense. He made sure to get both of his feet inbounds, but he let the ball slip right through his hands to go three and out.

South Carolina had heard all about Brandon Bolden and was determined to stop the running game by stacking eight in the box and QB Raymond Cotton was able to recognize it on the first play of the game. The normally boring Running Rebels offense called up an anomalous passing play on second down which hit Pat Patterson between two defenders for a 68 yard touchdown pass.

After the kickoff South Carolina fumbled the ball on their first running play of the game and it was recovered by Ole Miss at the 31 yard line. Runs of 14 and 16 yards by Bolden set them up at the one yard line and the senior Derrick Davis took it up the middle for the touchdown to go up 14-0. Stephen-G finally looked like he was going to get the offense rolling by hitting Jeffery for a 29 yard gain, but they would promptly go three and out after that to give the ball right back. Ole Miss marched up field in 11 plays of mostly runs up the middle and were sitting at the five yard line looking to go up 21-0, but Cotton made his first mistake of the afternoon by throwing an interception to the free safety Auguste who was blanketing the TE. The Gamecocks went 95 yards in 9 plays and bulldozed through the defense for a one yard touchdown run. Brandon Bolden was able to get a 10 yard run on first down, but the Gamecocks secondary was able to knock down a 3rd and 8 pass to force a punt.

With four minutes on the clock South Carolina was hoping to tie the game up before halftime, but on a third and one the Ole Ball Coach elected to spread the field with five wide receivers and saw a quick drag route intercepted by the outside linebacker Walker to give Ole Miss great field position at the 43. After ten plays (eight of which were runs) Ole Miss was at the 19 yard line for a third and four and came to the line in shotgun with four wide receivers, but they caught the Gamecocks off-guard with a handoff up the middle that gave them the first down with 20 seconds remaining. Cotton went to the hurry up offense and scrambled for a 10 yard touchdown run to go up 21-7. Instead of the Gamecocks trying to run the clock out and finish the half, Garcia was sacked by all-world senior and future first round draft pick Jarrell Powe who forced a fumble and recovered it and allowed Ole Miss to kick a 25 yard field goal and go up 24-7 at the half.

South Carolina was still fired up and knew if they could minimize the turnovers they would have a chance in the game, but on their first possession in the second half Garcia threw an interception on his first play which Ole Miss converted into seven points on a reverse run by the backup RB for 40 yards.

Garcia went on to throw two more interceptions to the Ole Miss defense which doubled their total on the year and gave them six turnovers in the game. Ole Miss will be heading to the Sugar Bowl unless the voters can move them up to the #2 spot and an opportunity to play in the championship game.

Five highlights have been uploaded to the EA site

http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_user_state=system#module=moduleStoryView&story=$0025ae77b2e6_C590_6A313CA8&dynid=50576&sku=662A0001&sid=0&wknum=16

2. Stoker23

Stoker23 Walk On

Great season man.... Very "legit" win! Congrats to those who made and won their championship games... Props to SDSM in a very close game against BC where he ended up beating me by 3 which could have gone either way!

3. Pac12Leader

Pac12Leader Walk On

I'm thinking we'll be even better next year with the RB that I redshirted this year, much faster and the same size as Brandon Bolden. Our defense is losing it's top three defensive players though, so we'll be rebuilding on that side of the ball.

4. LSU21dude

LSU21dude Geaux Tigers

Good game, that was a tough one to take for me. That first 3 and out was brutal, especially the drop right in his hands on 3rd and 10. I usually come out running on the first series but for some reason decided to pass 3 straight times, that didn't work!

Garcia was also very off, he had numerous throws that were terrible. I have never seen him with so many bad throws. And your defenders were catching every damn ball that hit their hands whereas my guys probably dropped 3 or 4 picks that hit them square in the hands.

And that 3rd and 1 before the half was another brain fart. I rarely ever go 5 wide and almost always just pound it up the middle on 3rd and short. I had a slot guy on the right side running a quick out and he had a LB over him so I thought it would be an easy conversion. That was until Garcia threw it 3 yards behind the receiver.

Tough loss to take after a great season. See you there next year.

5. Pac12Leader

Pac12Leader Walk On

That interception at the goal line was really sweet, and the interceptions from my team even surprised me since they've been dropping them all season long. The boys came to play today.

6. LSU21dude

LSU21dude Geaux Tigers

Yep, that's all I could think, from that first dropped pass on 3rd down to Garcia launching the ball all over the place and your D catching every damn pass within arms reach. My guys just didn't come to play.
    I was happy with myself on that user pick at the goalline, prob my best all season and it got me back in the game.....until I call a dumbass pass on 3rd and short, that's when the game got out of hand. So pissed I made that call, I'm typically very conservative in playcalling.