SEC Insider Blog

Discussion in 'Second to None' started by chance17, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chance17

chance17 Walk On

[​IMG]
    The SEC is the home of fast-paced, hard-nosed football IRL and its the same in S2N. This is the home for news about the Southeastern Conference. Stay up to date with standings, lineup news, recruiting battles, video highlights, and exclusive interviews.

Coach Team 2013 Record All-time[/FONT]
    broth262 [​IMG] 0-1 9-5[/FONT]
    chance17 [​IMG] 2-0 13-2[/FONT]
    Coach_III [​IMG] 2-0 14-2[/FONT]
    DrunkenSoldier82 [​IMG] 1-0 13-2[/FONT]

Standings

The Tigers and Gamecocks stay put in the polls, while Georgia moves up to #8 after a big win on the road against #22 Nebraska. With their opener being a loss, the coaches dropped Mississippi State from the top-25, but they still received 97 votes. Don't expect them to stay out long.

Recruiting Battles

[​IMG]
    Eric Jenkins is a big, physical receiver that both LSU and Mississippi State want. The Bulldogs host him week 5 when they face lowly Troy. Way to pick a big game there Broth ;)

[​IMG]
    Jeff Young may have the worst hairline in the recruiting class, but that doesn't shy away both the Tigers and Bulldogs from duking it out for a commitment from this more balanced prospect.

Rockin' Replay from Week 2

Ace Sanders gets open against the zone and then breaks ankles on the way to a South Carolina rout of ECU.
    That's it for this week. Tune in next week for more in-depth coverage. If you guys want something else in here, feel free to add it. I'm willing to do one of these for each week and you'll be getting PM's periodically from me so we can get some interviews in. If you don't want to see my ugly plays each week, you're going to have to start putting videos in your stories as you upload them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Good stuff man. We should all start saving highlights

3. chance17

chance17 Walk On

[​IMG]

Week 3 is in the books and 4 unbeatens remain from the ranks of the SEC (Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, and Auburn).

Standings

Defending SEC champion LSU drops to #10 after their heartbreaking loss to Nebraska, but looks to make a statement against #25 Washington. With LSU's descent in the polls from the #3 spot, South Carolina and Georgia move up a spot each to #5 and #7, respectively. Other SEC teams in the top-25 include Alabama (#3), Arkansas (#14), and Auburn (#20). Mississippi State thought they had made it back onto that list with their win over Houston and Michigan State's loss. They were only 20 votes behind Washington and look to prove themselves against a solid Texas A&M team this week.

SEC in Action
    This week the SEC is involved in some great battles on the gridiron. Three big conference games this week:

- #5 South Carolina looks to remain unbeaten against the high-powered Missouri offense.
    - Mississippi State knows the road to contention in the SEC West runs through College Station as they face off against the 0-2 Aggies.
    - Florida looks to turn it around against Kentucky after losses to Miami and Tennessee have left them stunned.
    - #7 Georgia plays Vanderbilt and very few think the outcome of this one will be in doubt.

Out of conference games worth watching this week:

- Tennessee plays #11 Oregon this week and looks to upset the order of things near the top.
    - Ole Miss looks to do the same against #6 Texas.
    - #10 LSU will probably take out their frustration on #25 Washington as they look to rebound from their first loss of the season.

Recruiting News

South Carolina continues to find linemen from every corner of the nation. Coach Chance promised to move their recruiting influence outside of the Carolinas and Georgia last year when he unexpectedly took over the head coaching job. Their tour of the nation has led to commitments from Nevada native Michael Woods and now also Florida prospect Dwayne Jackson.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Photo "gallery" from week 3

[​IMG]
    Aaron Murray hit Junior receiver Michael Bennet for a TD on one of his four catches that gave him a 100 yd day.

That's the only photo you guys uploaded and no videos, so let's hope we get some more for next week (y)
    Exclusive Interview!!!
    This week's exclusive is with Coach_III, head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs.
    After a close game against Southern Miss in your opener, the Bulldogs look to be firing on all cylinders. What's the atmosphere like in Athens with your team being ranked #7 in the nation?​

We all have hopes. Of course the goal is to win the SEC and avenge last year's SEC championship game. We didn't have a good showing last and the plan is to make it back and win it. We got some talent this year on both sides of the ball. My full offense has been implemented this year and we are running that pretty well. The defense is young with only 2 returning starters, so everyone has been taking grasp of the new schemes and it seems to be working.

Looking at your schedule, it really looks pretty tame other than a game against the newly awakened giant killer Illinois in week 8 and Auburn and South Carolina back-to-back in weeks 11 and 12. Will your team match last years win total of 12?

We want more wins. The UGA Bulldogs do not intend to lose any games. We play to win the game. When I got hired, the primary goal was to win the SEC and secondary goal is to the National Championship, so I intend on winning every game.

Love the attitude coach. On a different note, last year your team's success seemed to be based on letting Aaron Murray loose in the passing game and getting Keith Marshall enough carries to keep the defense guessing. This year, you've been running an awful lot more and using more quarterbacks in a spread option scheme. Is this the direction UGA football is headed for the foreseeable future or is this something you've drawn up for this year as a stepping-stone to something else when you usher in the Matthew Patterson era?

In the previous year, I felt that I had to water down my offense to a pro-stylish type, something the guys skill set called for, but this year I am letting it rip with my full spread offense. As to regards to the future, our future here at UGA will be the spread option, that's just my offense. This year we have 3 running backs that can play. We use two quarterbacks, and we make sure all our wide receivers get their hands on the ball. We may not use a lot of players in the future, but this season we have plenty of guys capable of playing now, so we play them.

I'm sure these numbers you're Bulldogs are putting up have piqued some recruit's interest. Speaking of that, this year you are losing quite a few offensive linemen to graduation and two defensive tackles, but you already have a slew of defensive ends and enough depth on the O-line to compensate. So far you have no commitments on your way to replacing 14 seniors. What's your main focus on the recruiting trail this year with such a strong set of underclassmen?

We are recruiting this year with the focus of D-line and O-line. We got some great guys taking a look at what we are trying to do here at Georgia. Things indeed are coming along a little slower than my first year here, but I am confident that we will have a great class by signing day. I got some big guys coming on a visit during week 8, cause we have not had a home game since week 1 and some guys visiting on the by week to get them in here so we should be fine.

I'm sure Dawg Nation loves the sound of that. Thanks again Coach_III for the interview. Everyone in the SEC needs to keep there eyes open, because the Bulldogs look like they have no plans to leave SEC title contention anytime soon.

Thanks for having me

That wraps up this week's installment. Check us out again next week as we will have another exclusive interview and more highlights from week 4. SEC signing out.

• Like Like x 5
  4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

chance17

You need to forget the SEC and do all the conferences/users!

Excellent stuff!

5. chance17

chance17 Walk On

Maybe if the ACC and B1G were worth a damn :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coach Broth makes His Return !
    ScreenHunter_92 Aug. 21 14.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_93 Aug. 21 14.59.jpg vs ScreenHunter_94 Aug. 21 15.00.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chance17

chance17 Walk On

Lol, those little kids know whats up. The man who promised the world is back to lead his team to victory!

• Like Like x 1
  8. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Week 4​
    LSU Beats up on Washington​
    Highlight of The Week​
    DT Anthony Johnson picks the ball out of mid air and rumbles 45 yards for the TD, honorable mention for MLB Kevin Minter for getting the sack and jarring the ball loose.​

• Like Like x 1
  9. chance17

chance17 Walk On

Nice shake with the big man. That's probably getting my vote for play of the week, but we'll hold judgement until the others come in.

10. chance17

chance17 Walk On

Here are the videos from my week 4 game. The one run out of the F slot wings is a thing of beauty in terms of blocking and the 81 yd TD up the middle with the QB are my favs. Man the quality is crap from the website. I'm going to have to get a capture device soon...

Bruce Ellington gets his first TD of the season on a short route.​
    Connor Shaw holds up in the face of pressure and delivers a good ball.​
    With plenty of time in the pocket, Connor Shaw finds​
    DeAngelo Smith open underneath the coverage for another South Carolina TD.​
    Good run, but the nickel corner glitches and is forced to backpedal because something in the defender logic doesn't agree with the option. I see this kind of thing from safeties usually, but it looks like other positions are vulnerable as well.​
    Freshman QB Daniel Bryant gets his second touchdown of the day on the ground with this long run up the middle.​
    Marcus Lattimore gets another on the ground. This is from the "slot F wing" formation, which has 2 1 1 1 personnel. The up-back is supposed to catch blitzing LBs and open up the hole for the HB or get to the second level if nobody blitzes on that side normally, but my C and LG bypass the DT and leave him for the FB. He does the best thing he can probably do and chip blocks him. The LE is caught spying the QB and so two linemen are neutralized with three blockers still leading on the left side. That puts us with numbers and makes for an easy TD.​

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. trevorg234

trevorg234 Walk On

• Like Like x 1
  12. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Alright Coach, I hate to open with this, but it's like a big elephant in the room to me. What the hell happened against Nebraska? It turned into a shootout, with three different ball carriers getting TDs. The stats show it was an uncharacteristic day for your defense, but how did it get that way?

Well the truth is Martinez in the read option killed me, he had 88 yds and 2 TD's on the ground, but if you add in the 4 or 5 sacks i had he was way over a 100yds, then to boot he was on the money with his passing game and we had no answers on defense.

Now that that's out of the way, lets talk about your team. Winners lose sometimes, but always pick themselves up and I don't think anyone would call the boys in the bayou a bunch of also-rans. How do you feel about the way your team responded to the criticism in the wake of your first loss of the season?

We came right back and just got back to the basics and things just seemed to click, we really layed the boots to The Huskies they put a couple of TD's late just to make it somewhat respectable but i think we are more focused now after the loss and thats a good thing.

What about Mettenberger to Beckham? That connection was unstoppable this past weekend. Are we going to be hearing their names called more and more throughout the season?

Finally, one of WR is stepping up and taking hold of the #1 spot, we are hoping Beckham can keep developing and be a big time receiver so we expect to see some more HUGE games from this tandem

It looks like your schedule just doesn't let up. This week you face off against undefeated Auburn. Do you have anything special in store for the Tiger Bowl?

Ya we like to pull out a couple trick plays when we play Auburn so expect a little razzle dazzle and hopefully a big W for us.

Thanks for your time Coach

13. chance17

chance17 Walk On

Thanks for putting up week 4's interview. I lost the post for a third time last night due to computer problems, so I abandoned it. Week 5 review is on the way!

14. chance17

chance17 Walk On

[​IMG]

Weeks 4 and 5 came and went in a hurry. Here are the important bits.

Standings

Notre Dame took away South Carolina's hopes of perfection this last weekend and dropped them from #3 to #9. Alabama also was upset by Ole Miss and they dropped from #2 to #12. That opened the door for both LSU and Georgia to move up to #5 and #3, respectively. Auburn is hovering around the same at #19 and Arkansas moves up to #11.

SEC in Action

Week 6 is already upon us and there are plenty of good story lines developing

- Two giant killers face off as #24 Illinois (recently took down Wisconsin) will be battling Ole Miss (just knocked off Alabama).

- Another B1G contest will be happening this week as #24 Michigan will try to hold off the unranked Mississippi Stat Bulldogs.

- #3 Georgia, #5 LSU, and #9 South Carolina all have conference opponents this week, but should be able to hold their ground and prevent the upset.

Recruiting News

A good weekend to be a resident of Starkville, as the Bulldogs signed 4 this weekend. Looks like Coach Broth was able to get the big receiver he wanted in Eric Jenkins.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And so concludes the review...SEC signing out.

• Like Like x 2
  15. trevorg234

trevorg234 Walk On

I hate to bump a thread from August, but this was gold. Great content while it was coming out.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. chance17

chance17 Walk On

I couldn't do it every week, but I could try to get this going again. Any help from the SEC members would be appreciated once I get my summer students (aka slave labor) I wont be working 60-80 a week and can get content rolling on a regular basis again.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  17. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:

Once summer starts I can help out a lot more time with no homework to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.