self-tuning the carousel

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jun 26, 2012.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

you guys interested in installing a couple of rules to both make the carousel a bit more realistic but also speeding up the actual process? give suggestions if you have em. my 3 proposals:

1) require at least 2 yrs at a school. no one leaves after one year. some leagues require 3. I say 2 will at least eliminate fickleness and make someone invest a bit.

2) do away with coordinators. this might be undesirable but i just don't like coordinators until they fix it. coordinators that do everything (recruit, etc), that are eliminated when you play user-user games, and that result in people earning awards (natl champs, etc) that aren't differentiated from those of head coaches make it suck. would also make it easier on declining crap offers. don't like current coordinators one bit. (this hasn't happened but is bound to: a coordinator user plays a head coach user in the nat'l title game and wins. you can't eliminate the perception and that sucks.)

3) by default auto-decline (commissioner does this) lesser jobs... no one is going from SMU head coach to Ball State head coach. note: even remotely gray-area offers would be left alone. this is kind of already what happens but getting everyone to understand this would make my life easier.

what do you think? any other ideas?

P.S. it doesn't appear through interviews and such that the carousel was even tuned or touched one bit

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

first...can we actually adjust settings for the carousel or just self imposed rules?

1) I don't think it matters if we are going to say NO coordinator jobs. If given the chance to leave the shithole after year one for say a higher MAC or Sun Belt program, then you should be able too.

2) I like this idea, but what if someone gets fired? Then that may be your only option...(you should know all about that)

3) Yes, this is a good idea, speeds the process up considering not all of us can jump on at the same time. We did this for the most part last year and no one objected.

Look, I can be helpful

3. vatechhokie01

per #2, we would just make a rule that if fired, a) you can't take a coordinator job in the BCS and b) can't take a coordinator job at any school unless that is all that is offered. as for you having to decline a potential one of these without knowing what is coming next... the reality is that if you don't get a job at all after being fired, you are auto-placed by the cpu at a bottom-level school, which is fine and doesn't violate the integrity of why the rule is in place.

really just don't like coordinators at bigger schools that are for all intensive purposes head coaches and nothing to distinguish the two, especially perceptionally.

4. vatechhokie01

summary: if you are fired, take any job below your current one and not in the BCS and that is fine. (realizing that no one at a BCS school is probably going to get fired... especially not on AA sliders)

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I actually beat Bonner as an OC at Clemson when he was at SMU in the title game. But then earned it the next year as HC at LSU when I beat Mormon.

I have no problems eliminating OC/DC positions.

I was stuck as OC for 3 years and it got really boring.

6. vatechhokie01

hopefully they add the connected career idea and develop the coordinator position more cuz there is a lot you could do to really make coordinating exciting and obviously distinct from head coaching. and yes... i would personally never choose to do it again anyways as it bored me to tears and drove me nuts.

7. vatechhokie01

you beat bonner last year?

8. Brettmonty

Brettmonty Walk On

I don't mind having to stay at the school for 2 years but what if your Alma Mater offers you a job, you should be able to take that job.

Taking out coordinators is fine by me

• Like Like x 1
  9. vatechhokie01

think alma maters could easily be an exception. again, good discussion cuz the point of staying is much more about not making sideway moves or new jobs just to do it.... not to deter from honest moves up that one would take...

might just need to find the right wording and rule exactly to tune this

10. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

We'll call it the Lane Kiffin Stop Being a Dick rule. No constant moves for the sake of moving.

• Like Like x 4
  11. vatechhokie01

excellent, lol