September 11th, 2001

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by Full Moon Fever, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I'll never forget that day. Ten years ago exactly, I was a freshman at Tech. I was sitting in a large room waiting for my English class to start. Some guy comes in and sits down next to me and says "Dude, have you heard? We're under attack." As he was saying that, the prof walked in and started class. I just kind of blew that guy off, thinking he was high or delusional or something. It wasn't until the end of class that the prof told us that he wanted us concentrating on his lecture, but now that class was over we all need to get to a television and watch what's going on in New York.

I remember walking back to my dorm and campus was eerily quiet. Normally there were people all over the place, yahoos pitching ideas at the Free Speech pavilion, and just a general lively college campus. There were a few people out, but you could tell right away that something wasn't right. When I got back to the dorm, there was a large crowd in the lobby huddled around the TV. The crowd was big and I couldn't see the TV, so I just went on to my friend's dorm. My roommate was already down there and the 4 of us just watched in shock.

By the time I got to a TV, both towers had already collapsed and for the most part the action was over. But we didn't know that. I remember the gut-wrenching feeling of wondering how many attacks there were going to be. Were we about to get bombed? Invaded? What the hell is happening?

I remember wanting to join the military for a few days. Fortunately, my girlfriend talked me out of that. As things somewhat cleared up over the next few days, weeks, and months, I remember just a spirit of camaraderie in the United States unlike anything I've seen before. Everybody was friendly. There were American flags everywhere. Nothing brings the country together I guess like an outside attack.

At any rate, I'll never forget what I was doing and the thoughts that raced through my head that day. As most of you know, I teach 9th graders, and when we discussed this in class on Friday they were 4 or 5 and had almost no recollection of the day short of their parents telling them something bad happened.

What were you doing?

2. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

I was a Junior in High School. I remember waking up and seeing that a plane had ran into one of the twin towers on TV but at the time I just assumed it was an accident. I went to school and has Spanish 1st period and I want to say sometime during that class the 2nd plane hit and they gathered us in the gym after that and set up TV's for us to watch but we didn't get to go home. I think we just kind of hung out in the gym for the rest of the day. I had just started my first job the week before and just remember they called me and said they were closing early so I didn't have to go in. I stayed home and watched TV and played Madden. I remember the weeks after that like Fever but I also remember people were in some ways afraid to leave their house.

3. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

I was also a junior in high school as well at the time. It was a crazy time at the school and I remember that I ended up getting a ride from a buddy of mine back home that day instead of riding the bus. I remember my AP History teacher cancelling our test and I remember being in my German Teacher's room throughout our lunch period just glued to the tv. I also remember my math teacher who was in a portable classroom with no radio or tv who just continued as if nothing had happened. He realized soon after the magnitude of everything and apologized the next day.

It was just a surreal, surreal day. I remember going to a football game one month later at Michigan Stadium as well wondering, "my god, what if something happened while I was there that day." That moment was just amplified because they always emphasized the fact that it was the largest crowd in the country watching college football on that day(due to obviously the stadium having the largest capacity).

But yeah as I said, just a surreal day.

4. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

I was only in 4th grade. Being on the West Coast I think the first plane hit around 5-6 am. I just remember waking up early and seeing my Mom just staring at the TV. I've seen it so many times and being so young at the time, I'm not really even sure which parts I saw live, I just remember seeing the towers with smoke on TV. I went to school and I remember the teacher talked about it to us for a while and tried to explain it to us for the first hour or two of class. I also remember we had a field trip planned a few weeks after that and some parents were freaking out not wanting their kids to ride the bus being scared of a terrorist attack... Another thing that hit me was that college football got canceled that weekend. I was already a huge football nut and crazy about Fresno State who pulled off the three biggest upsets in school history in 3 consecutive weekends and I now I wasn't going to get to go to the next game. IDK I was only 9 years old I didn't really understand what was going on. I've watched a lot of videos on it since.

5. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

I was in ninth grade study hall sleeping. I woke up and thought it was odd that the TVs were on in the room considering that they usually were not allowed to be turned on. I, like everyone else in the country, watched in complete shock and disbelief.

The thing that sticks with me now is how clueless I was to what was really going on. I remember thinking terrorists actually attacked us and were behind the whole thing. Its scary now to think about how brainwashed I(and everyone else) was into believing whatever information was made available by the media.

6. johngalt11

johngalt11 Walk On

I was a freshman living in the dorms at WMU... I was sleeping when the first tower hit and my buddy in the next room came over and woke me up... At that point they didn't know what was going on.... Saw the second plane crash and me and my 3 buddies went to my brothers house and sat on his couch and watched coverage of it for about 3 days straight. I will never forget.

7. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I was in 7th grade, and because I'm on PST the first plane hit around 6:40 our time I believe. My mom woke me up in my bed to tell me what happened, and I came into the living room just as the 2nd plane hit. Obviously my parents were aware of the importance and implications of the attack and kept me and my brothers home from school to watch what happened over the next few hours. I also remember going downtown later that day with my mom and seeing people on every corner selling 9/11 newspapers that were printed just moments before. It was such a strange day, I'll never forget it.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Of course Redd would be the one to imply Bush and co. were responsible, smh

9. CoachRedd

Do some research while keeping an open mind. You might be scared of what you find.

edit: And you might be outraged at what you find. our government has a history of doing scary things to our people(http://www.rense.com/general36/history.htm). To think that many people lost their lives on 9.11 is so sickening.

10. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I was in 9th grade I believe. It happened during school and everything pretty much just stopped for the day. We couldn't really grasp the magnitude at the time but like Fever said everyone just pulled together like something you wouldn't believe.

11. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Nope, I'm no propaganda hippie theorist but I'm a little skeptical too. There is some scary shit out there.

12. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

In all respect though, this debate can wait for another day.

13. CoachRedd

Why? Remembering everyone who lost their lives should only compel you to investigate this even more.

14. Bl0ndeRedHead

I just don't like that Bush is always the fall guy. If our government was behind it, Bush certainly didn't come up with the idea or execute it, Chaney ran the show while he was in office.

15. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

16. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

ab so lutely

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

18. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Ya, I get convinced a little easily on the conspiracy theories but I'm still a bit skeptical of how 9/11 went down. At the end of the day though, a lot of real people lost their lives and I remember that rather than the stripes and stars.

19. johngalt11

johngalt11 Walk On

I understand that it is easy to wonder but the government was not involved with this. There are evil people out there, really evil. And though I think our government sucks (still better then most) there is no way they are involved. If you are questioning defense tatics/policies then thats different.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bl0ndeRedHead

Agreed 100%

• Like Like x 1
  21. CoachRedd

agree to disagree. I'm convinced they were not only involved but benefited greatly from it.

22. johngalt11

johngalt11 Walk On

insane

• Like Like x 2
  23. DirtycashDylan

They definitely benefitted. I'm not saying they were behind it, or knew about it, or whatever because I have no idea. I AM saying or country's leaders have to make crazy decisions and always be looking at the big picture. The tragedy on 9/11 made even the most liberal hippies scream for blood and our government had a fully backed war going into a country that had nothing to do with it. Why were we there? The locals sure knew...

[​IMG]

I'm not saying there was a conspiracy on 9/11 but our government turned it into something else to procure more oil...for us. Why do you think we're still over there? If there wasn't money in it, we'd be out, imo.

On 9/11/01, I was in the cafeteria at U Central OK, sitting there eating breakfast in a large cafeteria all by myself. The place was entirely empty and the TV had been on. It looked like an accident where a plane had crashed into the WTC. Then I watched the 2nd plane fly in. All my classes were cancelled because all those theatre professors knew a ton of people in NY.

24. CoachRedd

On the New World Order:

The term gained popularity following its use in the early 1990s, first by President George H. W. Bush when he referred to his "dream of a New World Order" in his speech to the United States Congress on September 11, 1990, and second by David Rockefeller in a statement to the United Nations Business Council in September 1994, sometimes cited as evidence that the New World Order had a motive for carrying out the September 11, 2001, attacks:

"We are on the verge of a global transformation. All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the New World Order."

25. DirtycashDylan

The New World Order most certainly exists but we know them as Bank of America, JP Morgan/Chase, etc.