setup plays

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Dec 22, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

setup plays

Is it sim to keep calling a play the game has "determined" is setup? So I am clear by set up I am saying the play says set up complete with the triangle/arrow on it.

I am asking because I was playing a game where the play was setup for 3 quarters continually. This was after I called the play and everything. I had never seen the play still being in setup after it was called and ran.

From my experience with setup plays this is what I know:

Setup plays are usually play action plays.
    Setup plays are because of success with running plays.

The set up play in question was a play action play. It was setup after the 3rd time on the drive I had run with success a running play. I had run on that drive at least 5 times and thrown 1 time.

The first time I called the setup play I believe it was a TD. The play was still considered setup though. Never saw that before. So I called it again thinking it would not be setup after that. Still was setup.

I think when I stopped calling it, I had called it 20-25 times in a row. I know that number would not be sim. I kept calling it because I wanted to see if the play would not be setup after a while. When I stopped calling it it still was setup in the playbook.

When I kept calling the play it was not successful every time. I threw some incompletions, I was sacked 2-3 times, also threw an int. I think it was completed maybe 55% of time, Half to 2/3 of those completions 5 yards or less.

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

1. Call whatever plays you want.
    2. It is not sim to call the exact same play 4-5 times in a row.

Just because the play is "set up" it doesn't make a world of a difference or give you an unfair advantage. Also, you can set up a PA with the run, or set up the run with a PA...if the first play was ran for big yardage.

3. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Exactly like Murk said, the setup plays become available faster dependent on how successful the setup play for it was run. Say if you run the Power O run play and get 40 yards the PA Power O pass play will probably be 100% setup after that. But also like he said running the same play over and over is not sim.

4. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

if you do any type of audibling (change routes, change blocking, etc) the play will stay "setup" since you really havent run the setup play yet....

you will see +points after you successfully run a setup play.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

That's not true, I run hot routes off of setup plays and still get the +8 or the setup disappears. Changing line blocking doesn't change stop setup status either. I still get the +8 or setup disappears as well.

6. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Ok so I'm confused, how are you getting the "setup play" to stick?

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I'm going to fix my last reply:

What I bolded, I may be wrong on, not sure though. The play that stays in setup in the dynasty I usually get setup status on, I didn't in my last game, so I may have misspoken on that.

I will check it further though.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Setup plays stay setup if you run them consistently for huge gains. This is NOT to say that running them on consecutive plays will keep them set up. Rather, if you run power o once every 5 plays for 40+ yards, PA power o will be setup for at LEAST one quarter, even with incompletions. In user games, this doesn't matter -- you set up your own plays against human opponents. Running the same play over and over is ALWAYS always ALWAYS considered cheese against the CPU, but if you mix it up and can achieve that kind of success, the play will be set up for a long time.

9. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The dynasty I am doing this in my offense as a whole is terrible, and my defense is worse than my offense. I run the ball a lot, every first and second down unless I fall behind by more than 8 pts. Each drive I use a different formation. However I use that formation that whole drive. For example, if the formation has 12 plays in that team's playbook I will use their running plays and then pass on 3rd down. Depending on drive and gains it may take running the play 3 or 4 times on a 10 play drive to get its partner setup. I don't run the same running play 2 plays in a row. I only kept running the setup play because I was trying to see if it would not be setup anymore. I was just wondering why the setup never left whether I completed the pass or not.