Should all conferences have a championship game?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Wick36, Aug 16, 2012.

?

Should all conferences have a championship game?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

2. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I'd be very surprised if you don't see all yes votes.

3. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

4. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

9/10 times its just gonna be a rematch of the user game it doesn't matter to me so just go with the majority

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

The users won't play during the regular season unless they're rivals right?

6. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

Depends on the league. Big east only has 8 teams therefore play every team during the season

7. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

oh ok. I think maybe if we did this we could move a couple teams into the big east to prevent that?

8. droid43

droid43 Walk On

They can, each
    They can. If there is only 12 teams in each conference, then each team plays 3 cross division opponents. I'm for it just to even things up a bit. As wick said in the other thread, there are pros and cons for each situation

Wick pointed out that there's a strong chance that I am jumped by Oregon after they play in the PAC 12 championship despite playing more ranked opponents. With the wonky BCS logic thats plagued NCAA I don't doubt the possibility. The conferences that don't have a championship game still essentially have one between the users it just comes a little earloer (sometimes too early [con])and IMO it actually puts more stress on playing the CPU each week to keep your lead or pressure on the other user. You have keep winning to win the conference. Wake Forest can win the ACC with 2 losses, but if I lost 2 wick would have won the Big 12 even though he lost to me.

I voted yes just to have it the same all around for users. I believe having the possibilty of a user rematch in the conference championship game diminishes the importance of the first meeting. It appears as though I would be in a strong minority. (yes I am an LSU fan and will use 2011 as an example. LSU went into Bryant Denny Stadium and came out on top, but that game apparently wasn't the one that "mattered".) I believe it's better with differences in the college landscape. However, I'm al for fairness for all users.

The conference changes in the NCAA football forum should provide a good fix for the Big East since Pitt and Syracuse are leaving.
    The Big East definitely needs at least 10 teams.

9. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

Yea I mean you can add Boise Houston UCF SDSU to the big east. Those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head

10. Mcwoods06

Mcwoods06 Walk On

My official lobbying for Oregon has begun for the #2 spot in the National Championship game. Driod43 I would definitely like to play you next year if you want to consider it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Definitely! Although I'd love to hear your reasoning for Oregon to jump to #2. Even with the conferee championship game you have played less ranked opponents than OK State. I also beat common opponent Stanford by a larger margin of victory.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  12. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

lol margin of victory shouldn't even be in the bcs. I guess in a couple years it won't matter with the 4-team playoff :D

13. droid43

droid43 Walk On

It's not technically in the BCS, but voters use it to compare teams all the time.

14. Mcwoods06

Mcwoods06 Walk On

That is just an opinion with the voters. Let's allow the computer's to determine the #2 spot. But I would definitely like to play it out on the field (Playoff). Again I humbly request to play you next year?

On another note.... Didn't Ok State get left out last year?

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I will see if I can do this. Scheduling with 6 conferences when changing the start dates don't work is tricky.

16. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

OK state lost to Iowa State who they were the 4-TD favorite against. They didn't deserve it :p

17. droid43

droid43 Walk On

And LSU already beat Alabama AT Alabama. I'm as big of an SEC homer as anyone, but Bama didn't deserve the mulligan. They had their chance with everything in their favor. The game was even reschedule to prime time. LSU should have been given the chance to beat 3 BCS conference champions, not a team they already beat.

18. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

LSU beat Alabama because of three missed field goals by the Alabama kicker. Now I know a win is a win but Bama should have pulled that win off.

OK state gave up over 550 yards to a cupcake they were the 4-TD favorite over, unranked Iowa State.
    Bama lost because of missed field goals to #1.

19. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

yea but there was a tragic plane crash that rocked that campus that week and they had to go on the road a couple of days after that or somethin if i remember correctly

20. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Brett Favre lost his father the night before a monday night game then came out with one of his best games ever. I highly doubt OK State hadn't forgotten about that plane crash by the time they were in the second OT ><

21. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

1 hall of fame nfl quarterback vs a bunch of 19-23 year olds. little bit of a difference man

22. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

How you overcome adversity says a lot about who you are...wait a second I can't believe I'm complimenting Favre. I hate Favre, but anyway...

23. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Is the kicking game not a part of football? So because their kicker choked they should get another chance? Maybe had Alabama been able to move the ball more on offense the kicker wouldn't have had such long field goal attempts. LSU's defense shut down the Alabama offense every time they crossed the 50. Many forget that LSU had the deepest offensive penetration in the game. Alabama never got inside the LSU 20, the Tigers were inside Bama's 20 twice.

If we want to go by should have logic then Oklahoma state should have beaten Iowa state because they missed a field goal. ;)

24. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Oh I didn't notice you're an LSU fan lol. No wonder you think OK state should've faced them. And that missed field goal logic doesn't necessarily hold true from the Bama game to the OK state game. Bama missed 3(or was it 4?) field goals. I don't even remember a missed OK state field goal but I do remember Weeden throwing a pick to open the 2nd OT.

25. droid43

droid43 Walk On

Yes I am, and it's not missed field goal logic, it's coulda woulda shoulda logic. Had Bama made two out of the four field goals maybe lsu returns one of the kickoffs? Nothing's ever guaranteed and as much as the media loves to downplay those misses, special teams are a part of the game and since Bama wasn't better than LSU in that area on 11/5 they lost.

And yes I wanted OK State because I knew we would beat them just like Oregon and WVU. There's no doubt LSU and Bama were the two best teams last year, but they already played, so give someone else a chance.