Should College Players Get Paid To Play?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by JerzeyReign, Jan 5, 2011.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

It seems like every year a kid from a big program is getting caught accepting money or gifts for being who they are on the football field. UNC's football roster was poached, USC was placed on sanctions, and recently the Ohio State Buckeyes were put into a tough spot. Universities make millions off of the talent level of these players. Some football programs actually support other sport programs at their respective schools. UConn's men basketball team is a cash cow. Coaches have mansions just about. I've seen Mack Brown's (Texas HC) 'mansion' before. I'm surprised he doesn't have a moat! Everyone is making money but the kids. Yeah the university gives the kids a full ride but some of the most talented kids are dirt poor. Keeping up with football and school (even though I doubt Proper Handwashing Techniques 101 is hard) it leaves them little time for a job to go get their 'wants' in life. Now I'm not saying pay these kids millions of dollars but $1200 a month on top of their scholarship shouldn't be much to ask for. Am I wrong for thinking these kids should get a piece of the pie? Or would this have kids only complicate the problem?

Thoughts?

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I was under the impression that all student athletes on scholarship were given a small stipend each month. Maybe that is wrong, maybe it isn't, but even so I feel like they should be compensated. Its SORTA like legalizing pot - tons of people do it and get away with it. If the NCAA were to allow it, they would better be able to regulate it and make sure kids aren't getting gifts like say a Cadillac that they're driving around.

Bottom line is that they deserve to be paid something.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

It's not as simple as 'just pay the football players' unfortunately. As I understand it, under Title IX, if a university were to pay football players, they'd have to have some similar arrangements for all athletes in all sports. Whether you agree with Title IX or not, it's a huge part of the issue. None of these schools can afford to potentially mess around with their federal funding that nearly all of them receive.

Plus, if you were paying the players just a 'stipend' (as I think happens now anyway), then you'd inevitably run into the star players thinking they are entitled to something more and you'd still have rules broken eventually. Fact is, the programs that want to cheat will (and most of the big ones do at some level), and the players that want to bend/break the rules to get additional benefits will. That's just the way it is. These kids are playing college ball as a tryout for the pro's for the most part, this is part of that tryout. If a kid is so poor that he feels he is being taken advantage of by a university, he always has a choice - leave school and try and parley your wares on the pro stage.

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

There getting a 100,000 dollar education for free

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

That's not enough though. I went to school after spending 5 years in the Air Force so I had the GI Bill paying for my tuition. I still couldn't have survived if I didn't have a job though. This wasn't for my "wants" but just for my necessities. If an athlete's family is poor and he doesn't have time for a job, I don't see how they can make it. I think this goes for all sports from men's basketball to women's gymnastics. I think they should get something, but everyone (regardless of talent level or sport) should get the same stipend.

6. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

if your a high caliber, 5 star recruit coming out of high school with people telling you how good you will be and your future in the NFL is bright...do you give a flying deuce bomb about an education? Not many do, they want the big $

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I think teachers should get paid to go to college.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

your getting the chance of a lifetime so play football. Every other college student is in the same pool with no pay, going off FA

9. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

They should definitely get paid. The student-athlete BS is ridiculous.

10. Hunt0716

Hunt0716 Walk On

Somebody already mentioned it, but the NCAA could implement say a $1,200/month "stipend," but school's have to pay everybody, and that's asking a lot for athletic departments to give cross country and lacrosse players money for playing a sport that doesn't even produce its own funding. And it's the athletes in those smaller sports that actually appreciate the value of the FREE education that they're getting. I'd say it's pretty rare that you see the field hockey team ever involved in any recruiting scandals.

And what's going to stop schools from paying star football recruits more under the table. Players start seeing how much they can make by going to let's say Auburn (who shells out $25,000) compared to Ole Miss (who only pays $7,500). It may sound extreme but the prevalence of bidding wars over recruits could possibly even increase.

But no matter what the NCAA does, players, schools, agents, boosters, etc. are going to find ways to cheat. It's something we, as fans, need to accept as part of the game. But as prevalent as it is, there are still hundreds of actual "student athletes" who play by the rules, and those are the guys/girls that need to be appreciated.

11. Lobster Killah

Lobster Killah Custom Title!?

They can live on campus, and eat on campus. What else do they need? Blowing money on cars and tattoo's isn't a necessary part of college or life, contrary to what most big time college athletes think.

12. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Exactly. They have every necessity taken care of for the most part. Of course it'd be nice to have some spending money (they are in college), but there are other ways of getting that than by going to agents or doing something shady.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

That 'the school gives them full rides' reasoning is meaningless, no offense to anyone, to me. These kids talents bring MILLIONS of dollars to these universities so in the end their actually paying for their education anyway.