Should I stay or should I go? Pac12 edition

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by ryalaman, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

[​IMG]
    WR Maurice Harris

Stats: 59 receptions, 951 yards, 7 TDs

Scouts take: Harris has been a productive player for his whole career at Cal. Sitting at right about 60 catches and 850 yards a season for his 1st 2 years, he's now blossomed into a #1 target with Keenan Allen going pro. I think the concern about drops for him is overrated. Unlike some coaches who only have their WRs run pussy routes (cough.. PAgamer07 ), Harris has had most of his drops come when he's been running a tough over the middle route. His 95 catch rating speaks to that. What may hold him back is his lack of elite route running skills.

Projected draft stock: 4th round

Prediction: I think he thinks hard about going, but eventually decides to return to school for his senior season.

[​IMG]
    DT Arik Armstead

Stats: 6 TFLs, 4.5 sacks, 1 FF

Scouts take: This Oregon team is very senior heavy. I think Armstead has all the potential in the world to be a dominant 4-3 DT someday, but he hasn't produced at a consistently high enough level for me to feel comfortable taking him high in the draft. With more underclassmen playing, we almost certainly spotlight someone else. All that said, Armstead is a very good player who has been blessed with great size (6'8', 291 lbs). He relies too much on brute strength right now, but in another year or so, those power moves may fully develop and allow him to feast on QBs and RBs in the backfield.

Projected draft stock: 6th round

Prediction: Easy decision. He'll stay. He could be a 1st or 2nd round pick in a year or 2.

[​IMG]
    RG Kevin Reiner

Stats: 60 pancake blocks, 3 sacks allowed

Scouts take: NFL teams just drool over this guy. 2 straight years of 60+ pancakes while playing on one of the nations best offensive lines? I'm not sure what more you could ask for. He's gonna be in contention to put up the most reps on the bar when he gets to the combine and his footwork is simply picture perfect. I know interior OL don't usually go all that high in the draft, but I think Reiner is one of the rare ones who could go in the 1st.

Projected draft stock: 1st round

Prediction: He has nothing more to prove in college. He needs to leave. The Cardinal are very likely facing a situation where they have to replace the entire OL next season... but their OL is so talented that all 5 of them may be starting on Sundays.

[​IMG]
    QB Cody Kessler

Stats: 133/217 passing, 2370 yards, 17 TDs, 9 INTs

Scouts take: I like Kessler. I really do. I just think he's been misused at USC. He's got some incredible accuracy and he could flourish in a West Coast system. The vertical passing game that USC has in place now just magnifies his lack of arm strength and leads to some floaters that have upped that INT total. If he decides to come out, I really think he'll be one of those guys thats more productive in the NFL than in college.

Projected draft stock: 4th-5th round

Prediction: He's gonna be a great value pick for someone eventually, but being the QB at USC isn't a bad gig either. I have a hard time believing he'll pass up his senior year in exchange for a clipboard and a 3rd string job while he gets acclimated to the NFL.