Should we allow skill resets after each season?

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by HoundsOfHowl, Jul 2, 2013.

?

Should coaching skills be allowed to reset during offseason?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

The Experience

I feel like we shouldn't allow resets, in real life a coach can't just forget something he's learned to teach or use as a technique.

I'm pretty sure this can be an on/off feature when setting up dynasty.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Are you sure it can be turned off?

3. HoundsOfHowl

I thought I remember reading it could be, maybe Drifterbub can confirm?

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

I can't remember if it can be turned off completely. I'll have to look.

I'm going to post something later in the week when I can talk about the details that will help all the commishes out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I think we should keep it but allow moderate changes. I do agree we shouldn't be able to build a skill up and just dump it. But one question is if you do build up a skill and dump do we lose that skill? I haven't really looked into this part of the game yet. Back to my reason, yes a coach doesn't forget something but they do spend time learning new skills every year. Also they change and put more emphasis on an area they feel the team is deficient in. And that could be a yearly thing, loss of OL, WR, QB, and so one. If you have a sr qb but young line you'll focus on the line more. The next year the OL is seasoned but your breaking a new QB so you'll work more with him. You most likely will always have the same scheme but will alter it a bit based on your returning players. Especially with players getting rattled more in 14( from what I've heard) you won't see that true Fr QB coming in an throwing for over 3,000yrds and 25tds( well I hope not). So if your a passing team by nature you'll have spend more time coaching up the running game with a FR QB. But what if you do want to change your scheme after a couple seasons, you'll need to change your coaching skills to fit it right?

6. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

"By nature you'll have spend more time coaching up the running game with a FR QB"

If you have developed a "skill" at coaching and if your talented at developing items involved with that skill you shouldn't be allowed to change that "skill" to help you where you "want" to focus. Someone may be good at something but wanting to change what they are good at to better help their team would be fictional, at best. "Spending time" on something doesn't necessarily make you smarter, or better, at said something.

My 2 cents :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. HoundsOfHowl

I agree with you here, but the thing is you would just have to spend more points either in your coordinator to focus on your weak QB spot. You as a coach aren't going to just be like "oh let me take this skill I have at making my HB's good and forget about it and make my QB's good" That would just be your weakness until you put a skill point in the area of your QB's.

My point behind all this is, if we're building a legacy then it should take time to build up, just like the whole putting restrictions down (which if progress is slow on very slow then theres no need) but you should have to figure out and map out your path to success, and if it takes an extra year or two to get that skill you want in a certain area then thats how long it should take. The next year you shouldn't be able to just say "ah screw it, my HB is good enough I can forget about him."

• Like Like x 2
  8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

This leads me to believe that it can be turned off and I'm pretty sure that I read from someone @ EA that it can be turned off.

OD commish options.jpg

I don't have enough experience with other commish options to know if that'll be a permanent option. IE. can we put it on "no" and in season 5 realize we don't like it and then Masler can change it to "yes." I imagine the answer would be the same as for "allow time savers."

• Like Like x 1
  9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I think this goes to the classic jello1717 argument: If you've worked so hard for something, why should you be penalized for it? There is no reason to lose something you have outright gotten for being good. You'll have stockpiled these things up and they are gone. Now if the process is too fast, maybe a reset is okay. But for the sake of "realism" i don't see how this works. Does Nick Saben's "new" linebackers forget how to be men and NFL ready? I think not.

10. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

This is our first time using this system. We don't know exactly how everything works and how useful it will be. I think it would be nice to restart if we get into something we don't like / doesn't work how we thought. The key thing here will be making sure we do not progress up a tree too fast and unlock too much.

11. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

It must do something because coaches go around every year to learn new systems and techniques which qualifies as spending time. I think everyone knows just because you spend time at something doesn't mean you'll be a master at it. But odds are if you do spend the time you'll become more proficient at it than you were before you started investing the time in it. For instance Texas has been a run team ever since I could remember with Mac Brown. Now this year they're installing the no huddle which is a total different mindset and skill set. Granted they bring in new coaches but the core stays the same. So with that the coaches (Head Coach) need to learn the new system. Granted they won't be experts at first, but they will be learning a new skill set.

12. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Maybe we oughta play test before we start? I'd be willing to with a buddy

• Like Like x 1
  13. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Ill do it. Fuck it. Ill record it and edit it together within the first week NCAA is dropped and ill let y'all decide what we oughta do

14. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Like I said I haven't really read into it, but if you can change what your coordinator focus's on then that's good.

15. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Ya it doesn't make sense you would lose your knowledge in that area. That's why I said you can tweak it but not dump something once you started it. I agree with you we need to test it first.

16. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

Yeah, I had a brain fart. I was more thinking as to what you suggested and whether it could be flipped back on.

17. jello1717

Unlike edge7771 I don't see these skills as "areas of focus for the coming year" but as "areas of talent that I as a coach have developed." From that POV I REALLY don't like the idea of being able to just trade out my talents year to year for whatever I wanna focus on this year.

Here are some examples (and if you're not familiar with coach skills, these are actual skills from the game). You don't have to read the spoilered examples if it's too long, but please read what comes after the spoiler.
    • I've worked hard and have become a great motivator. My pregame speeches are legendary and I'm able to get my players psyched up for big rivalry games and they always come out fired up. Well, in 2016 I've simply decided to stop giving these fiery pregame speeches because I don't feel like it anymore, but despite the fact that I've always sucked at late season recruiting, during the offseason I have become one of the best recruiters during the last half of the season.
    • Using the FR QB example if I've taken some psychology classes and have learned how to talk to 18 year old kids that are being thrown into extremely stressful situations and keep them calm that's great. It's a terrific skill to have. However, I think it's really dumb for me to be able to just throw that away for a season simply because I don't need it since my QB is a SR. Again, this is from the POV that this is a learned skill/talent, and not just an area of focus.
    Here's my biggest reason against respecs. The best skills are top tier skills and those are expensive. My numbers could be wrong, but I think this is correct (or at least close). It takes 3 points in a tree to unlock tier 2 (this I know is correct), 10 for tier 3 and I know it takes 20 to unlock the top tier. (Proof)

These top tier skills are VERY strong (either chances to get insta-commits in recruiting or the chance for all of your players to start the 4th quarter HOT in close games). If you want to get them as soon as possible, then you need to spend all of your points into that tree and that tree only. With no respecs, this means that you have to invest solely in coach management for your first 21 levels to get "clutch" as soon as possible. If we allowed respecs, then you could balance out your points (making you a more well rounded coach while you were "saving" up your points) and then once you get enough you simply forget everything you know about recruiting and now you give awesome "pre-4th quarter" speeches.

I think that if you really wanna get the top tier skills then you should have to focus on the prereqs instead of being able to just get it whenever you have enough points.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Masler

Masler Moderator

Let's just wait and see how things go. I personally wouldn't want to reset any skills because of the perks they allow and if you earned them then you should be able to keep them.

Now if you switched schools, they should reset to a degree because some coaches can't just jump ship and have immediate success unless you are Urban Meyer caliber.

19. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Like I said, ill play test with my buddy the night we get the game just so you all can see.

20. Masler

Masler Moderator

Tbh, I didn't read what you said lol

21. HoundsOfHowl

I plan on starting a test dynasty on season ticket to try out the slowest progression rate. If it's too fast still we will need to probably have restrictions

22. jello1717

I apologize if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you think we're talking about removing coach skill points. You wouldn't lose any points, you'd just spend them differently.

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

Right, we would lose those skills though. Can each member choose if they want a reset or are we all forced to reset as a whole?

24. jello1717

It's a league' wide setting.
    OD commish options.jpg

25. Masler

Masler Moderator

So are Time Savers but you still dont HAVE to use them