Signing Day - Booms and Busts

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

When you get a chance, pick a few guys from your class that either came in over what you expected, or under.

This is also a good place to add this: You may not cut a four star, at least not in year one. FYI.

2. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

The MSU program wasn't expecting too much from their young recruits, but a couple guys exceeded expectations:

P Morton, QB: 4*, 74 overall - should redshirt and contend of time his RS-SO year
    L Cleveland, WR: 4*, 75 overall - will start as true freshman
    C Cox, ATH/WR: 4*, 75 overall - also will start as true freshman
    A Ferguson, TE: 3*, 72 overall - will likely redshirt and get reps as a RS-FR, start as a RS-SO
    D Jackson, K: 2*, 75 overall - will redshirt and start as a RS-FR the following season

Several of the 3-star guys I signed were in the low 70s.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The Buckeye class was tremendous:

QB Brent Johnson - :4stars:= 79
    QB Tracy Roland - :4stars:= 79 (The CPU picked up this guy on signing day)
    HB Tyler Hall - :5stars: = 80 (95 Speed / 93 Agility / 95 Acceleration)
    LT Beau Thomas - :4stars:= 80
    DE Marc McNeal - :4stars:= 79
    DT Andrew Moss - :4stars:= 80
    LOLB Johnnie Barnett - :4stars:= 80
    CB Allen Young - :4stars:= 80
    K Aaron Gibbs - :3stars:= 80 (Changed to punter)
    K Will Gardner - :3stars:= 80 (Another CPU late add)

Not sure yet what we're doing with the CPU added guys, but with or without them, this is one of my best classes ever, not because I got the best player, but because I didn't miss. There are no busts in this class. The CPU signed a few guys late that won't make the squad, but this is a killer class overall. Things are looking up in Columbus.

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I'll post my list in a few, but I just wanted to say that I threw some time on this guy, but never made his list. Still, in Week 4 or so, I was still the lone school to offer him. I ended up dropping him from my board, but had I kept him on, I bet I would have added him. Very interesting. This is a lot different than how the end game worked in last year's version.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

The highest rated recruit I was able to sign was a 69. Not much else I can do as a 1 star. Gonna be relying on my stick skills heavily still for the next few seasons.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

Ego, what rating did the hb get we were fighting over?

7. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Booms!

QB J.P. Pressley, 78 OVR

While I expected the #6 overall quarterback to come in around this rating, it was nice not to be disappointed. Arizona wasn't in J.P.'s top ten to start the season, but Coach David, Jr. sold e'm on the Wildcats promising future. He'll redshirt this year, but with 90 TP and 82 TA, he'll be expected to take of the Arizona offense as early as next season.

K Marvin Britt, 79 OVR

This 1-star JUCO punter was taken off the trash heap during the off-season recruiting period and stunned everyone by winning the starting PK job in a landslide.

WR Darrell Arnold, 76 OVR

As a JUCO sophomore (3-star) wide-out from California, few top programs out West gave Darrell the time of day. But desperate for receivers to replace senior Juron Criner and junior Daniel Buckner, the Wildcats decided to take a chance on raw, dynamic from Fairfield.

"Okay, cool."

TE Mario Scott, 76 OVR

The #10 ranked TE in the nation hadn't considered Arizona initially, but a strong push by the Arizona coaching staff, combined with a stellar 2011 season, convinced this 6'5" kid from Washington to become a Wildcat. He'll redshirt this year to put on weight (213) and gain strength, but Coach David, Jr. expects Scott to develop into a much-needed duel thread come 2013.

HB Brad Williams, 72 OVR

I wasn't expecting Williams to come in with a stellar rating, and he didn't. But I like his potential for the future. He'll redshirt this year, and with 92 speed/77 break tackle/74 truck/78 elusiveness, he'll have a major role within the Arizona offense by the time he's an upperclassman.

Busts!

Too many to list ...

8. John Crow

John Crow Walk On

Bama class

A Hunter WR 5* OVR 79 (My top rated WR)
    R Thomas TE 4* OVR 75
    L Foster LT 4* OVR 75 (This was my Bonus player)
    Zach Gray RT 4* OVR 81
    T Walker DT 4* OVR 80 (My top rated DT)
    T Banks MLB 4* OVR 79
    J Moore CB 4* OVR 80
    Zach Gray CB 4* OVR 75 (Not a misprint I have two players named Zach Gray)
    M Williams CB 4* OVR 75

I also had a K that was a 3* with a OVR 83

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Michigan Booms:
    :2stars:FB Brian James - 79 OVR - immediately starting for the Wolverines
    :4stars:TE's Mark Young and Lance Garcia - 78 OVR - One of these young men will redshirt for sure unless Soph. Chris Barnett is deemed to require to get his redshirt this year. Barnett was a redshirt last year, but had to have it pulled due to injury.
    :3stars:Juco DE Quentin Strickland - 78 OVR - Will vie for a starting job; pleasantly suprised with how Strickland turned out.
    :4stars:DT Willie Harris - 78 OVR - Again, Harris may push for some early playing time

Michgan Busts:
    :4stars:ATH Jon Foster - 71 OVR WR - hoped for a bit more out of Foster, but his attributes really didn't lend him to be much of a immediate contributor. Unfortunately, due to lack of depth at WR, Foster may see the field earlier than desired.
    :4stars:T Kevin Bradley - 76 OVR - Definitely a redshirt, with Taylor Lewan in front of him... Really hoped for a higher 70 rating from Bradley.