SIM 101: Volume 2

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by NeuroticTruth, Nov 5, 2012.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    SIM 101
    Volume 2
    Topic 2: Blitzing
    • How often should you blitz?
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both?
    • In what situations do you blitz?
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes?
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them?
    • Do you feel they're over used?
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    How often should you blitz?
    - This question is very dependent on who you're playing and what their play style is and also what situations you find yourself in game. The easiest way I find to answer this question would be to ask yourself, if this was a real NFL game, would you call a blitz in this situation? I've been a number of games over the past two releases where people blitz on virtually every down. While there are ways to beat the blitz if you can recognize it, in my opinion, its just very unrealistic. So again, I dont think there is a set standard or formula to determine how often you should blitz, but more of a "would it be realistic for me to call a blitz in this situation".

Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both?
    - Another question that is highly dependent on your defensive play style and the personnel on your team. For me, its both, but leaning more so to stop the run. With the talented group of people in this league, I tend to stay away from blitzing to stop the pass, especially in 3rd and long situations. I try and rely more on my defensive line to get pressure, but thats probably more so because my secondary isnt that great and I dont want to leave them on an island when attempting to blitz.

In what situations do you blitz?
    - If I do blitz its early downs. If they come out in a 2 WR package, I tend to lean more on the blitz as teams generally have more protection in those packages, while in the 3+ WR sets I'll stay more conservative, unless its an early down.

What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes?
    - From my experience it feels to me that people tend to use man blitzes more then zone. Personally, it depends on what I'm trying to do. If I'm blitzing out of a 4-3, I tend to lean towards man blitzing, but the more my defense gets spread out, the higher chance I'm going to run a zone blitz (if I blitz at all).

What limitations do you hold yourself to with them?
    - I try to limit the amount of blitzing I do. Like I said in question one, if its not a place I would see a real NFL team blitzing, I tend not to. Nine times out of ten, I wont blitz on back to back plays, unless I think the opposing team is going to run in which the chances of me blitzing are a bit higher. I also never pair a blitz with press coverage.

Do you feel they're over used?
    - Generally, I dont feel that blitzes are over used by the masses, although you will occasionally play a guy who likes to blitz 80% of the time.

Do you feel that mechanic itself is overly effective?
    - If used correctly and not exploited, no. There can be times were people will try and exploit the game and make them overly effective (iso blitzes etc), but if you're sticking to SIM, I have no problem with the mechanic itself.

3. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

First, define blitzing, I consider a blitz to be when you bring 5 or more total, 2 LB's, or 1 DB. I do not think you need to blitz too often, but I would say anything up to 40% of total defensive snaps is ok with me.
    I don't blitz too often, but I do like to blitz in certain situations for both pass and run downs.
    nice try to get some of my defensive schemes out... so, I can blitz in most any situation
    I would say that I do both, but it is probably 60/40 in favor of man blitzes based on my playbook
    I don't hold any limitations on my blitzing, but that is because I don't want to blitz all the time and risk getting burned. If I had to put a limitation on it, I would again say no more than 40% of defensive snaps
    No, I think that some may under utilize them to the point where they aren't effective.
    • Do you feel that mechanic itself is overly effective?
    No, just like in real life, you have to pick and choose the right moments to blitz for them to be effective.

4. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Good point. To me a "blitz" is when you bring more than the amount of down lineman you have. That isnt to say if you come out in a 1-5-5 that you're blitzing if you bring 2 people, thats an obvious exception.

It truly is not my intentions on trying to get some "strategy" out of this, but if people arent comfortable answering because they dont want to give out information, I completely understand.

5. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Meant to be more of a joke, most of my information is already in there, I blitz based on feel and tendencies.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

- How often SHOULD you blitz? That's up to the user. All depends on the game.
    - Both.
    - I'm pretty conservative on D so I'm not a big blitz guy, but it comes and goes with certain situations when I expect certain things.
    - Probably zone, but again, it all depends on the situation.
    - I don't bring the house unless I need the ball back late. There really are no limitations to blitzing for me. I just utilize it when I need it.
    - Nah. I mean there are guys that blitz a TON during the game and it gets extremely frustrating, especially if they're good at it and the pressure is there in 2 seconds, but I don't see too much of an issue with it. In my opinion, the guys who blitz a lot, I am going to throw slants, drags, and other quick routes against you. That is a promise. I also see that some of those guys that blitz a ton complain about guys using slants and short routes against them. You're a product of what you provide in this game.
    - No. I've not been very successful with blitzing, but it hasn't gotten more effective this year it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I don't see a big problem with blitzing about half of the time. I think it depends on the defense you play. 4-3 relies less on blitzing because of the pass rushing DEs, but in a 3-4 your going to end up blitzing more times than not.
    Both. At times you need to blitz to stop the run. I will blitz mainly to try and change the momentum of the game, or to get that big stop.
    Mainly the long distance situations or late game situations
    Zone Blitzes. I don't run much man, and I am big zone guy. I have always been that way. So if I am blitzing it's primarily going to be a zone based blitz.
    I really don't limit myself. I like to mix up the blitzes and who is really blitzing.
    I haven't seen anyone that over uses them. I think at times you get pissed when they work, but that is football. It just sucks at times.
    Some blitzes are overly effective, just as some routes are overly effective. It's the name of the game we play, if guys start to lean on it then you can expose them.

8. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BLITZ?

If it feels good, do it. Seriously, depends on the type of blitz, formation, down and distance, success of earlier attempts; indicators. If they would let me put Gronk in on D, you know that sum' bitch would be bringing the HURT and FURY every play. I also have the comfort of knowing that all of my blitz-related sins (blitzing too often; coveting biggcoug65 's blitzes; '"fake'" blitzing; etc.) are venial in nature and are forgiven at Mass each Sunday without the need to confess each and every one.

DO YOU BLITZ TO STOP THE RUN, GET PRESSURE IN PASSING GAME . . . . .OR BOTH?

I would say that I blitz more on running downs, but no so much as to '"stop'" the run per se, but to try and filter the play to a nice collection area. I seem to always get burned blitzing against the pass. It seems I either bring too much or not enough and give up the yards. I try to get my pressure with 4, maybe 5 on the vast majority of passing situations.

IN WHAT SITUATIONS DO YOU BLITZ?

None in particular. I try not to limit myself or become predictable. For me, it is easier to identify when I choose not to. 3rd and a mile, hell no. I also gauge it who I am playing. Guys who love the stick routes, you are wasting your time on a run blitz on 3rd and 3 to 4 ish.

ZONE BLITZ VS MAN BLITZ?

I see more man blitzes and might be one of the few people who uses more zone blitzes. Generally, I hot route all of my blitzes into some sort of combination coverage to create confusion. It works very well. I am very confused a good portion of the time.

LAST THREE QUESTIONS.

NO LIMITS. I blitz when I want to fool!
    OVERUSED. Impossible. You will get killed if you blitz too much. Polices itself.
    EFFECTIVE. I think when you mix a lot of blitzing with the existence of a bad ass DL, possibly (e.g., J. J. Watt)

9. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

How often should you blitz?
    - Since I am in the 3-4 I will bring a LB on occasions to give me a 4 man rush but i never go more more a 5 man rush as it leaves too many holes to be exploited. After that I factor in my opponent and what they are trying to do and how effective it is and then game situation. Then of course you have those situations where your in straight man and you get an OLB coming because he is covering a HB who goes away and he trails him right to the QB for a sack lol.​
    Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both?
    - This depends on who I am playing and what they are hurting me with. I use the blitz in both run and pass situations but I am using the blitz more for directing traffic than trying to get all out pressure.

In what situations do you blitz?
    - Depends on how a game is going. I have blitzed on early downs, middle downs, 3rd and longs and anywhere in between.

What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes?
    - I will use both types and then adjust during the game depending on how my team matches up with the other team.

What limitations do you hold yourself to with them?
    - The only limitations I give myself is that I don't move or shift players around. I don't do this when I am straight man or zone so to keep the look the same and try to disguise what I am doing I do the same with my blitzes.

Do you feel they're over used?
    - No I do not. Everyone I have played by the half I have an idea of when they are blitzing or not. Considering I am heavy run based team I know I will see heavy doses of blitzing. But that's why they made PA's and audibles to allow me to adjust to what I am seeing.

Do you feel that mechanic itself is overly effective?
    - The only time I feel it is overly effective is when the blitz is mixed with a shift and creates an overload situation.

10. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

I am a little confused, how is a yearning to possess my blitzes a blitz-related sin?

11. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

This is probably the best content I have ever seen in any league. Awesome stuff Neu.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jshaver

Jshaver Banned

I rarely blitz, mainly because Clay Matthews is such a freak :) , no, but seriously, when I blitz I never bring more than 6 rushers. I feel, in Madden its too high of a risk because the Offense is so overpowering, that even if you do get a sack, and force your Opponent into 3rd and 15-20, its much easier to pick that up in Madden than it is in Real life... In my opinion, I'd rather take my chances with forcing someone to go 10,11,12 plays on my defense for a TD because the odds of them making a mistake increase the longer a drive lasts.
    When I do blitz, its really only in obvious passing situations. If my opponent is pounding the rock I would consider bringing more players into the box, but, I wouldn't blitz much more, simply because like I said before, the risk / reward is not great enough for me.
    Obvious pass situations.
    A little of both. I feel like Man blitzing is an extreme risk if your blitz doesn't get there. Zone blitzing is vulnerable to the quick hot reads though.
    I don't really put limitations on myself. Just like I said, I don't blitz much. I don't have an issue blitzing a CB, FS or SS though just to throw something new at my opponent.
    Like pretty much everything else in Madden, it can be over-used. I haven't run across many that have abused it vs me for longer than a few drives. Probably because I'll start owning them if they blitz all the time.
    When EA took away the ability to manually move guys into gaps and move a bunch of players around to set up Nano Blitzes, I think they did a great thing. I don't see the blitzes as being too powerful this year.

13. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I believe blitzing should be limited to about 1/2 the tune at most like Bob said. I've played guys (in VFL) that would blitz and bump every 1st down and any time they thought you were running. They force yiu to run tosses and screens over and over and it becomes very unsim. I think doing anything every time in the same situation is not sim, it's just exploiting a programming flaw. I prefer to mix it up and play a chess match. : )

14. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

• I have been known to blitz alot..I dont bring the house but normally 5-6 guys
    • I blitz to hopefully stop the run and pass.. I want teams to make fast choices on who to pass.. I usually get burnt on the run blitzing
    • Depends on the player.. People who are great passers i dont blitz as much
    • Zone all the way.. I prolly play 70% zone 30% man
    • No limits.. I like to bring Von miller everyplay possible plus my 4 down linemen since i use a 4-3
    • I feel the man press blitz is overused on 3rd downs
    • No, but then again my stats show that i dont get many sacks either.. My blitzes usually end up into interceptions

15. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Let's get this going a little more..

If someone is blitzing or playing man, is it fair to call slants, crosses, dumpoffs, etc?

16. thirdalarm

thirdalarm Walk On

#1 If someone is over blitzing then adapt.... and expose them.
    #2 If you are the one overblitzing then expect the person to adapt and dont say " thats not sim" and expect the poor qb to stay in the pocket with a huge bulls eye on him, also dont get upset if guys start making adjustments and unsig hotroutes to counteract your blitz.
    #3 There are lots of ways to adapt and adjust if a team is killing you with the blitz, spread them out or screens..... you get the point.
    I think this topic really ties into our previous topic of hot routes. Nice work.

17. majesty95

I think if someone is blitzing then yes, you could call a slant, in, out or drag to beat it. But you also have plays like tosses and screens and can max protect. I think guys should always try to make the most use of as much of their playbook as possible.

If guys are willing to abandon their blitz when it gets beat a few times then I don't have a problem with them blitzing heavy. I've just run into guys who literally told me they were blitzing me every play because they knew I would play sim and not run screens and tosses over and over to beat it. SMH. I think Neurotic said it best, you should ask yourself if what you are doing is something you would see on Sunday. I also think you should ask yourself if you are doing what you are doing because it is realistic or just because it works. If it is because it works, is that because you executed well or because its overpowered in the game.

I would say anything that works well more than ~60% of the time is probably overpowered and should be used sparingly or situationally (if your opponent is forcing you into it).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

I have played almost everyone here... I have yet to find anyone to abuse 1 play on offense over and over... Slants do work vs some plays... Tosses work vs some plays and screens work if u get caught off guard...All of these plays can be stopped with right setup.. Imo best group of players ive ever played with thus far... Except that KnightNoles guy who can play his A game when he wants to :p

19. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

dont mind me though.. i have threw back a few beers tonight ;)

20. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I'm a 100% resounding, yes. You have to be able to adjust in the game, and despite that some dont like slants etc, they're effective against blitzes and man. If you're going to take the risk and continuously blitz and leave yourself open to those routes, I'm going to take advantage of it.

21. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

ahhh...a smart ASS....i tried to liken your blitzes to thy neighbor''s hot wife...a yearning to blitz so effectively

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  22. majesty95

I see the Yoda-esque dialect. lol

23. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Ah, I see...well you are partly right, my blitzes are like a neighbor's hot wife....they always show up at the right moment

• Like Like x 1
  24. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

SIM 101
    Volume 2
    No Clue, I don't blitz often, so I really don't know what is too much
    Not that often
    When my front four is basically playing patty cake with the OL
    No real preference
    None, then again, I don't blitz that much
    So far I haven't run into someone that has over used them, but then again I haven't played that many users so far this year;
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective?
    I think it depends on the team, but certainly not a problem