SIM 101: Volume 6

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by NeuroticTruth, Nov 22, 2012.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    SIM 101
    Volume 6
    Topic 1: Offensive Hot Routes

Topic 2: Blitzing

Topic 3: HB Draws

Topic 4: 4th Down Conversion Attempts

Topic 5: Pass Distribution

Topic 6: Coverage and Coverage Variance
    • What do you consider variance in coverage?
    • How often do you vary your coverage?
    • Are there staple plays you consistently run (IE: a base coverage)?
    • Whats the ratio of man / zone you use?
    • Do you feel either is over used?
    • Do you feel either is overly effective?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    What do you consider variance in coverage?
    - To me a "variance" is when you change the design of your play. By that I mean, switching from a Man Cover 1 to Man Cover 2 isnt really variance to me. Switching from Man Cover 2 to Cover 3 Zone or some type of blitz in either zone or man is more along the lines of what I consider variance.

How often do you vary your coverage?
    - Virtually every play. There are rare occasions I'll run the same coverage, but thats usually late in the half / end of the game when I'm in zone trying to heavily defend the pass.

Are there staple plays you consistently run (IE: a base coverage)?
    - There are staple plays out of every formation I like and I use as a "base coverage", but thats not to say I only run those plays.

Whats the ratio of man / zone you use?
    - Personally, its probably about 30 / 70 man to zone.

Do you feel either is over used?
    - I dont know if "over used" is the correct way I would describe it the more I think about it. I do think that man coverage is leaned on as a crutch at times, mostly in 3rd down situations.

Do you feel either is overly effective?
    - I definitely think man coverage is overly effective this release.

• Like Like x 1
  3. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Man to zone, zone to blitz, blitz to man, man to zone blitz etc etc.
    I try not to run man or zone more than twice in a row.
    Nope although I have some blitz plays I really like to run in certain situations.
    I am 50/50
    Nope
    No, and people complaining about man coverage never made sense to me. I always do much better throwing the ball against man coverage than against zone.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

To me its mainly when people drop 8 into man cover 2.

5. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

• I try to switch it up as much as possible, I have more success that way
      • Yes, there are plays in each formation I'll go to in certain situations
      • I honestly try 50/50, but to be real if I find someone struggling with one or the other I will lean more towards that way, but I don't think I ever get past a 70/30 ratio either way, can't run too much of the same play they will pick up on it and beat it
      • Honestly I feel like I am one of the worst at seeing what is coming, so I don't typically know what is coming
      • No, man can be beat just as easy as zone.

6. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Topic 5: Coverage and Coverage Variance
    changing up the defensive scheme. You can run different kinds of man, like press 2 man, different types of cover 2, cover 3 etc. If the LB's are both covering flats in cover 3, it is a different style of coverage than if a corner or safety is covering the flats. Also mixing in blitzes can change your coverage scheme as well.
    pretty much every play, it really depends on what the other team is running, but I rarely run the same coverage twice in a row
    again it depends on the style of my opponent and their strengths, but I tend to run more zone coverages than man
    probably about 40% man and 60% zone
    yes, I do feel like man is run quite often, but I mainly think that is because some do not understand the zone schemes and their purpose, not necessarily in this league but in general
    I feel at times man is very effective, but I don't think overly so as you have to know what plays you can run to beat it.

7. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

What do you consider variance in coverage?
    - Switching between Cover 1, Cover 2 Under, Cover 2, Cover 3 and Cover 4 along with mixing in man and zone blitzes.

How often do you vary your coverage?
    - Fairly often. I like to stay in my base defenses but there are 3-4 that I use and am constantly switching. I rarely run man twice in a row but may run Cover 3 or some form of Cover 2 on back-to-back plays.

Are there staple plays you consistently run (IE: a base coverage)?
    - Sure. I have a few bases defenses that I run out of each set more than others.

Whats the ratio of man / zone you use?
    - I probably run about 70% zone.

Do you feel either is over used?
    - Yes. Man in general. Its not specific to this league necessarily, but a lot of guys will play man or man blitz in the same scenarios or to try and end a drive. Like coug said, I don't think guys understand how to use zone to take away certain parts of the field and therefore rely on man to bail them out.

Do you feel either is overly effective?
    - Yes. Man certainly is. When DBs run the route in front of the receiver, it is overpowered. That's not to say you cannot beat man in some instances or that it is unbeatable in general. However, it is more effective than zone and IMO should be used less than zone.

8. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

i honestly don't see man being 'dominant'. Really depends on your corners, I have 2 below average players that play below average, yes they will make a play every now but will give up more. I don't see an issue with man to man. I see no issues on the defensive side of the ball, the blitzes are picked up nicely, man-to-man isn't over powering, jump balls are 50/50 like they should be instead of picked all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

What's the consensus on man coverage? OnIowa and I were discussing this. Personally, I feel a 50/50 mix or even more zone is sim especially considering the effectiveness of man this year. But what if someone plays 70-80% man? What do most guys feel is acceptable?

10. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    80% man is way to much imo. I havnt really played anyone that ran it a ton, my main problem with it is people using it as a crutch on obvious passing downs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

What's considered an obvious passing down? Majesty and I had a really good discussion on this and I think it's a really good topic

12. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Obviously, anyone can run on any down. To me, obvious passing downs would be 2nd and 8+ and any third and 4+ (maybe even 3 depending on what type of team you are).

Again though, I dont care that people run man, and if you wanna occasionally run man in those passing situations fine. Its when people consistently run man coverage as a crutch (especially man press coupled with a blitz, I see that a lot) in big situations of the game. That is where coverage variance comes into play.

13. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

Scatterbrained, but... this is one I'll chime in on.

For me, I think this is a huge feeder into offensive pass playcalling variance. When guys don't vary the coverage, they have to (and typically don't) realize that their opponent will (and probably should) rely on the same groups of combination routes. If someone's going to run man on me nearly every play, you better believe I know what route combinationss are going to be most effective, and I'm going to go to them more often than those designed for zone defenses.

I vary my coverage every play. Very rarely will I run man to man on back to back downs, and rarely will I run the same zone coverages on back to back downs. I certainly have patterns based on situation and circumstance, but I (at least like to) think that my defense is fairly unpredictable. I don't think it's right to put a ratio to it because it should vary game by game depending on matchups and schemes, but I'd lean towards more zone than man.

I think man coverage is extremely overeffective and overused in this game, especially with the right personnel for it. This league, in my opinion, is no exception -- especially in tight, meaningful games. It's one thing to vary coverage in the first quarter. It's another to vary coverage in the 4th quarter up by 6.