SIM 101: Volume 7

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by NeuroticTruth, Nov 29, 2012.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    SIM 101
    Volume 7
    Topic 1: Offensive Hot Routes

Topic 2: Blitzing

Topic 3: HB Draws

Topic 4: 4th Down Conversion Attempts

Topic 5: Pass Distribution

Topic 6: Coverage and Coverage Variance

Topic 7: Run / Pass Commit

• Do you use run commit? If so how often / in what situations?
    • Do you use pass commit? If so how often / in what situations?
    • Do you feel that either / both is over used?
    • Do you feel that either / both is overly effective?
    • Do you feel that either / both should be banned?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Do you use run commit? If so how often / in what situations?
    - I never use run commit. See below.

Do you use pass commit? If so how often / in what situations?
    - I'll occasionally use pass commit. If I do its either when I'm blitzing out of man coverage with my LBs and I dont want my corners to get burned in man coverage without help over the top. I also will occasionally use it on 3rd and long situations.

Do you feel that either / both is over used?
    - Its hard to really tell when someone is using the pass commit, but I can honestly say I havnt played a single game (except for Season 1 preseason) where I've had someone use run commit on me.

Do you feel that either / both is overly effective?
    - If either of them are overly effective, I would say its the run commit, especially if you guess right. I would also add to that though, that the run commit probably has the biggest risk, especially if you guess wrong. If you use pass commit and your opponent runs, its easy to make up for it; but if you use run commit and your opponent runs the opposite direction of where you guessed (unless you use run mid) or they pass, its very easy to get burned. I dont have a problem with the pass commit so much though, as I feel its realistic that teams would sell out on the pass in certain situations, and I dont feel its overly effective (its biggest strength is mainly against play action imo). If anything, I think you can get into trouble using pass commit as, to me anyway, it feels like it forces your players to play deeper in their zones which may cause you to get killed underneath.

Do you feel that either / both should be banned?
    - Run commit, yes. Pass commit, no. I just think the run commit is so overly effective, it makes it almost impossible to run against without constantly running sweeps and pitch plays.

3. thebouncer24

thebouncer24 Cheese Like MG

• Do you use run commit? If so how often / in what situations?
      • no never, honestly thought it was banned. I swear I have seen it somewhere being banned.
    • Do you use pass commit? If so how often / in what situations?
      • once on accident, took off up the middle for a TD. smh
    • Do you feel that either / both is over used?
      • honestly wouldn't be able to tell you when someone uses it or not
    • Do you feel that either / both is overly effective?
      • again not sure if it's being used against me or not
    • Do you feel that either / both should be banned?
      • again I thought I saw somewhere run commit was banned but I just quickly looked over the rules and I didn't see it, unless I skipped it
    but yeah I honestly couldn't tell you when someone was to use it and I have only used pass commit once and it was complete mistake. I took off with my safety by holding L2 to back pedal and was pushing up so he could back pedal and it was a running play in which the running back took off.
    as far as being over effective I honestly have no clue. I know it's a major hurt if you guess wrong!

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebouncer24

I am curious to know how many of you jerks used it versus Chris Johnson. Maybe that's why he can't take off :)

5. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    If someone uses run commit, you would notice. Practically the whole defense crashes the line of scrimmage.

6. thebouncer24

dang, so I can't use that as an excuse to why I can't run. I'll just start blaming the sliders ;)

7. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I never use run or pass commit and I haven't seen anyone use run commit against me(not sure about pass commit). I wouldn't call the idea of it sim or unsim. I would say it's poorly implemented. To me, run commit and pass commit are things where your players shouldn't buy into play actions or draws. In the game, run commit is basically just an all out blitz where you think the run is going and is just really dumb. It hurts people more than it helps, imo. For pass commit, I don't really know what it's supposed to do in the game. There's no benefit to it really so I don't see why anyone would use it.

8. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Pass commit helps your secondary against play action, atleast it seems to for me anyway. I agree 100% on the run commit comments though.

9. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I really think we should ban the run commit. This season I've run into it twice and both times it is cheezy as hell. Once my QB couldn't get the handoff to the RB, the other time my RB was tackled by 5 guys behind the line of scrimmage.

Its a terrible feature and should be removed. I really think we should vote on it or something because its hard enough to run the ball.

10. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I never use pass commit and have never seen my team bite on play action this release. My QB has an 86 PA rating(or close to that) and I've never seen the AI bite on the play action. I still run play action since I like some of the plays but I don't think it has any effect this year.

11. Jshaver

Jshaver Banned

Run Commit = Picking the same play as the Offense in Tecmo Bowl

Completely unrealistic to have all 11 defensive players crash the line of scrimmage in any situation.

Pass Commit does help your Defense play better vs PA Passes, however, it opens you up big time against Draw Plays.

12. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    I agree, especially the run commit to the middle. If someone uses run commit right and you run outside to the left its a huge play, but the run commit middle is VERY OP. Even against PA passes its super effective.

13. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I thought run commit wasn't allowed until I ran into it in here. I can possibly see it on a goal line play but other than that its pretty cheesy if you ask me. In fact, the users in the VFL voted almost unanimously to ban it entirely last season.

14. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    That seems to be the consensus here as well. While it may not be a written rule, very rarely if ever will someone use it.

15. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I would say it needs to be a written rule as its been used against me near midfield and that user claimed it was used against him several times...

• Like Like x 1
  16. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Do you use run commit? If so how often / in what situations?
    - Never Have.

Do you use pass commit? If so how often / in what situations?
    - Only time I have used pass commit is late in halfs of games and it going to be a bomb. Other than that I don't.

Do you feel that either / both is over used?
    - Hard to tell on pass commit and I have never seen run commit used against me.

Do you feel that either / both is overly effective?
    - Run commit is but sine I not seen it used I would say its NA.

Do you feel that either / both should be banned?
    - Run commit, yes. Pass commit, no.

17. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

It happens. I had to punt after a failed 3rd & 1 conversion in an OT game (which I lost afterwards). The play was stopped because run commit was used.