SIM 101: Volume 8

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by NeuroticTruth, Dec 4, 2012.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    SIM 101
    Volume 8
    Topic 1: Offensive Hot Routes

Topic 2: Blitzing

Topic 3: HB Draws

Topic 4: 4th Down Conversion Attempts

Topic 5: Pass Distribution

Topic 6: Coverage and Coverage Variance

Topic 7: Run / Pass Commit

Topic 8: Defensive Line / Linebacker Pre-Snap Shifting

• Do you ever shift your LBs / D-Line pre-snap?
    • In what situations do you shift your LBs / D-Line?
    • Do you ever shift both the LBs / D-Line on the same play?
    • Do you feel this is an over used mechanic?
    • Do you feel any part of the mechanic is overly effective (any shift or any combinations of shifts)?
    • Do you feel there should be a limit to shifting (IE: you cant shift your D-Line and LBs on the same play)?

2. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Do you ever shift your LBs / D-Line pre-snap?
    - Occasionally. If I do shift someone, its generally my LBs. I rarely shift my defensive line.

In what situations do you shift your LBs / D-Line?
    - I generally dont adjust my LBs / D-Line to stop the run. Its to easy to flip a run to adjust for a front seven shift. If I do shift my
    LBs / D-Line its generally to adjust for coverage on what I think will be a pass play.

Do you ever shift both the LBs / D-Line on the same play
    ?
    - Rarely if ever will I do that. The only time I'll ever shift both the LBs / D-Line is when I come out in a 3-3-5.

Do you feel this is an over used mechanic?
    - Not really. I've only played one person this release that I felt overly used their shifts.

Do you feel any part of the mechanic is overly effective (any shift or any combinations of shifts)?
    - Personally, I think that there are some shifts that are overly effective in the pass that end up bringing unblocked pass rushers. Thats mostly in overload blitzes then, but I guess thats the nature of and overload.

Do you feel there should be a limit to shifting (IE: you cant shift your D-Line and LBs on the same play)?
    - No, not really. Most people will tend to fall into a pattern if they're consistently shifting their LBs / D-Line. If you read it right, you can usually catch them in a bad formation / shift.

3. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

- Very rarely so I shift but when i do its my LBs. I will slant my Dline but I don't like to shift them.

- When I shift I am lookng to cover holes or areas in my coverage created by the offensve aligment or a blitz Ive called.

Do you ever shift both the LBs / D-Line on the same play
    ?
    - No I don't not. I feel this creates an issue that the CPU offensive lineman can not handle. I have looked at way too many replays where making these shifts confuses the line and they will block incorrectly and give up huge sacks to the def lineman.

- At times I think it is overused especially when it is added to a blitz package. It creates an overload situation that the game does not handle correctly. Seen too many cases where the tackle will go after the shifted over LB and let the DE do free who happens to be on his nose and in a passing situation this is not good. For me the problem is in the blocking logic.

Do you feel any part of the mechanic is overly effective (any shift or any combinations of shifts)?
    - As mentioned it creates a overload blitz situation but the real problem is the way the CPU choose to block it. Their blocking system gets really screwed up quickly when these shifts are added to a blitz.

Do you feel there should be a limit to shifting (IE: you cant shift your D-Line and LBs on the same play)?
    - I have not decided on this part yet. When my WR's get pressed, the DL and LB shift and the blitz comes and I can not get off a slant pass or a swing to the HB because of getting sacked I think there is a problem. And I'm not talking about long developing routes. I'm talking about getting sacked before my QB completes his 3 step drop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

• Do you ever shift your LBs / D-Line pre-snap?
    Rarely will I shift anyone on defense, sometimes I will shift the D-Line if the offense is overloaded to one side, but even that is rare. I don't know if I have ever shifted LB's, I honestly can't recall anything.
    • In what situations do you shift your LBs / D-Line?
    if the offense is overloaded
    • Do you ever shift both the LBs / D-Line on the same play?
    no
    • Do you feel this is an over used mechanic?
    no
    • Do you feel any part of the mechanic is overly effective (any shift or any combinations of shifts)?
    not at all
    • Do you feel there should be a limit to shifting (IE: you cant shift your D-Line and LBs on the same play)?
    shift all you want, but since they need to be set for a second prior to snapping the ball, try to only shift once a play.

5. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Thats probably the biggest issue for me. On offense I feel like you need to maintain a certain rhythm, and I hate it when I spend 15 seconds pre snap waiting for the defense to finish their adjustments when I didnt even audible or hot route.

6. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    - I never do. Not because I find it cheesy but because of my philosophy. On one side, some defenses like to make things look different every time to try and confuse the offense. On my side, I like to keep things as neutral as possible as to not give anything away from play to play.

- Never.

Do you ever shift both the LBs / D-Line on the same play?
    - Never.

- Rarely. The only time I feel they're overused is when people do one or both every time. And that hasn't been too common. Like anything else, it just needs to be used in moderation.

- I don't. I think there's some known glitches that can happen with shifting that causes the OL to not block players, but other than that, I don't think it's overly effective. It's effective only if the defense is right on guessing where the ball is going. If I come across someone shifting a lot, I'll pick formations that I know they'll shift on and then pick a play to run in the opposite direction of their shift. So in the long run, it'll hurt more than it helps if it's being overused because they're just moving their players out of position.

- On any given play, I don't. Just don't always shift on every play(or close to every play) or always shift both DL and LB when you shift. Mix it up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

I am a serial shifter. I get bored before the play a lot of times. Shifting is also essential to "shake blitzing.'' (obvioulsy j/k there)

Shift in response to ''unbalanced'' formations at times or sometimes to the wide side of the field if the ball is on a hash. Sometimes I like to spread my guys on obvious passing downs to better insure that any draw that is called will be twice as effective. I hate it when other users do not get the full benefit of the draw when they elect to cheese.

Do you ever shift both the LBs / D-Line on the same play?

Frequently. I sometimes shift them all around and back to their starting positions. Sometimes I just shift until the play starts to provide an element of surprise for myself.

Nah. Defenses are constantly shifting in real life. Shifting is more of a reaction to the formation, audible or play recognition and is merely an attempt to put people in better position based on what you THINK is gonna happen. Now, if you are listening to plays being called in and then shifting - - - get ready to meet with Goodell ( BobJr in this case). I have yet to go public, but I have a pretty credible source who claims to have proof that OMlawdog eavesdrops during all home games.

Not really. Only way that I could imagine it being overly effective and/or cheesy is when you are using it to let your cpu guys hammer one side of the field while you user a badass OLB (i.e., a Ware type) on the other side knowing that you will likely be able to make a play with him even if outnumbered. Basically use it to filter the play to your boy ( Emmdotfrisk taught me this trick over the summer - - IN PERSON - - Baller!)

Nope. It does not create enough of an unfair advantage. A lot of the time you are probably harming yourself anyways, or any advantage actually gained is in your mind. Players make plays, not shifts.

8. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

I definitely agree, that can be frustrating at times