Archived Sim 101: Volume I & II

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by fuzzyl0gic, Nov 13, 2012.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I'm stealing this idea from NeuroticTruth over in Hard Knocks, I think it is a great idea quite frankly. Hopefully he doesn't sue me for copyright infringement. :cool:

I think it's a good idea to discuss these things in a more organized manner because we see a subset of these opinions in the chatbox (man opponent X hot routes too much, etc.) or in our quarterly "stat" threads or what have you. Here are the questions:

Topic 1: Offensive Hot Routes
    • How should they be used?
    • When should they be used?
    • How often should you use them?
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them?
    • Do you feel they're over used?
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective?

Topic 2: Blitzing
    • How often should you blitz?
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both?
    • In what situations do you blitz?
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes?

• Like Like x 1
  2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I tend to only use them on third down (smart routes to get the first), or to maybe keep a RB in the backfield to block a certain direction. I will occasionally change a route if I see that their designated route doesn't mesh well with the coverage I'm seeing. Sometimes I "dummy" hot route (learned this from Keller) so that my opponent doesn't pick up on any patterns.
      I think a change or two to react what you're seeing on defense is fine, or third down smart route situations, but you shouldn't create a whole new play at the line. Hot routing guys to streak routes tends to break any coverage unless your opponent is good on the sticks and is usering that area.
      A few times on any given series. I tend to shake my head when I hear the QB yelling out ten different commands on seemingly every play.
      Stated above, I try to change one or two things to react to the defense, but creating a whole no play is a no-no.
      At times, yes.
      When receivers are audibled to streaks.
      Maybe 20-30% of your plays? It's hard to put a number on it, as a lot of times your opponent dictates that. If he's shredding you anytime you're only bringing a 3 or 4 man rush, you may throw more blitzes at him to slow him down.
      I usually blitz to generate pressure in the passing game, but I will occasionally do it to stop the run.
      Third and long situations, or to mix up coverage after maybe three to four cover 2/cover 3 looks on a particular down with no blitz.
      I lean towards zone blitzes, as I tend to get burned for big yards when I man blitz.
      Lately, not many. I've tried more cover 0 blitzes because my defense has been pathetic this year, but those have proved to give up way too many big plays as you'd imagine. I'm going to try to be more conservative and blitz less in general to see if it helps any.
      Not really, not against the opponents I've played.
      Some man blitzes can feel that way, for sure. When you're making your reads and the defenders are running the routes ahead of your receivers in man coverage, then bam you're hit with the pressure.

3. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    • How should they be used? If you see a coverage that you feel lends itself to changing what you are wanting to do. This can be induced falsely though if your opponent shows blitz but then drops into Cover 3, Cover 4, etc
    • When should they be used? See above
    • How often should you use them? I will typically do it once every 5 or 6 plays to actually change a route vs more often to keep a HB back to block
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I try not to run slants since those are frowned upon
    • Do you feel they're over used? I think when you limit overuse by running the clock down to 10 - 12 seconds before you can snap
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? Not personally but im not one of those guys that analyzes the flexation of every players muscle down to his anal sphinctor

• How often should you blitz? 25%
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both? Both -
    • In what situations do you blitz? Primarily on 3rd down but will also do to stop run on first
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes? Man blitz the defenders just seem to move faster
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I TRY (note emphasis on try) to avoid using the same ones but if someone comes out in the same formation (3WR, TE, HB) i am limited to a couple packages and i know a few zone blitzes have huge gashing holes in them i avoid
    • Do you feel they're over used? I think it depends. You live by the blitz and die by the blitz
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? See above to same questio

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

• How should they be used? Smart routing for sure and making the HB block.
    • When should they be used? Making the HB block in passing situations. Also the 2 minute drill. YOu need to smart route every route and or make them deeper. HAving a guy run a 2 yard route when you need a first down or big yardage is just stupid.
    • How often should you use them? When these situations arise
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I dont change the entire play, only the HB then smart routes from there
    • Do you feel they're over used? no I dont care when people use them, its obvious if someone is cheesing with them and nobody plays like that around here
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? I think its impossible now with the shortened playclock, nobody has time to make that many adjustments.

• How often should you blitz? Depends on what kind of defense you run. If you run a 3-4 you will be blitzing alot more ya?
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both? Both, more often to stop the run because my defense is so shitty
    • In what situations do you blitz? I blitz when I am getting killed in the run game. I rarely send blitzes on passing situations because I always get burned
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes? I run man blitzes more often. I see zone blitzes more often
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I dont blitz every play and or 2-3 times ina row. I keep it honest and mix it up.
    • Do you feel they're over used? No, I have not had that complaint on anyone so far
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? Not really, seems like the man coverage is just to good and zone coverage sucks. Pressure has no been a huge issue for me at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

• How should they be used? For smart routing and bring in a RB or TE to block
    • When should they be used? When you see an overload blitz or when you are trying to convert for a first down
    • How often should you use them? You don't want to rely on it all the time but when you are needing a momentum you should use them
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I only really use hot routes to bring my RB in to block
    • Do you feel they're over used? I haven't really played anyone that uses them a lot
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? I don't really know since the people I have played hardly hot route

• How often should you blitz? It all depends on your style of play. I figure if you're running an attacking defense you would blitz often.
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both? Both but mainly for the passing game
    • In what situations do you blitz? I blitz in pretty much every position so my opponent doesn't think that I only blitz in certain situations
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes? I see a lot of man blitzes
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I try to mix it up as much as I can to throw off my opponents
    • Do you feel they're over used? Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? Man blitzes seem to work a lot better than zone blitzes. I get them both to work about the same but most of my opponents run man blitzes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Keeping backs / TE's in to block when needed - two minute drill, smart routes, occasional hot route.
    See above.
    About blocking - when it's needed; I keep my backs in a good chunk of the time. Two minute drill it can be mixed in, but I don't buy the idea of needing to hot route every route during the two minute drill. Just because a route doesn't go 10+ yard doesn't mean you should change it.
    Just keep it realistic - as Shaun says.. don't be a douche.
    They can be- but it is easy to blame on "keeping backs in" or smart routing.. so it's hard to really say one way or another.
    It's really hard to call it OP'd, because it is just changing a route. It's just a matter of guys needing to go out and just run the play they called. 95% of the time I know what hot route I'm making before I break the huddle- it's not a "oh this coverage so I should make this guy do this" type of thing- more of a way to have a play I wish I had in my playbook in the game I guess.

Every single down. But really, again it just comes back to don't be a douche- most of us know when appropriate/sensible times are to blitz. Those that don't, please inquire.
    Little bit of both- if guys are trampling me you have to do something to stop it. On the fliip side, if the front four can't get pressure you need to do something.
    When it makes sense strategically to me.
    Man- just because I don't like zone coverage. I see a good mix of both, but can't honestly remember that well.
    Broken record, but don't be a douche.
    No
    No

7. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

• How should they be used?- Hot routes should be used to change the route of one receiver to defeat an unexpected coverage or "look" by a defense. More than one receiver should not be hot routed. They should also be used for line shifts to protect against overload blitzing, or to keep a back or TE in to block.
    • When should they be used?- As situations dictate.
    • How often should you use them?- In moderation as everything else.
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them?- If I hot route a receiver, it is only one. Changing routes of multiple receivers is essentially creating a new play at the line.
    • Do you feel they're over used?- Not as much as I saw in year 1.
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective?- It can be. However, with only 15 seconds presnap, there is no time to abuse them.

• How often should you blitz?- In moderation. Around 30-40% of the time. As I run a 3-4, I feel that blitzing means sending 5 or more rushers.
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both?- Both
    • In what situations do you blitz?- Any situation. 1st and 10, 2nd and short, 3rd and short. It does not matter. As long as it is done in moderation. If you are mixing up your playcalling, the correct answer is any.
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes?- I use zone blitzing more than man blitzing.
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them?- See above
    • Do you feel they're over used?- Against some opponents, yes. I have had games where I have seen blitzing in over 75% of my opponents' playcalling.
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective?- It certainly can be. Although if you make smart presnap reads, and punish the blitz, it is not.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

PAgamer07 care to elaborate on your first answer on hot routes?

To me, and this is just simply the sake of discussion, I don't see the difference between hot routing 1 guy or three to beat a certain coverage. IMO that is the root problem of hot routing; "Player X sees cover # and switches receiver B to a slant to beat it."

just curious where a line would be drawn (if at all)?

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Like Shaun said at one point, you're essentially creating an entirely new play by hot routing multiple guys.

10. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

I never audible. I'll bring up the menu just so the QB will do something and shout shit to maybe confuse the defense to think I'm switching it up. You call a play for a reason so run the damn thing is my view on it. Only time I do audible is if I don't like the way the coverage looks on a pass play so I audible to run.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

The only time I hot route is if somebody plays press coverage with on safety help. Then you're damn straight I'm hot routing Green to a streak. Outside of that I really only use it to keep a TE or back in to block.

I probably overused blitzing season 1, but have since cut back when I saw how little teams really blitz in real life. I was probably 50/50 in bringing 5+ or more last season. Its probably down to 25-30% of the time I'll blitz now. I don't think its overly effective, its fairly easy to beat when you know its coming, especially if you max protect.

12. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I think it should be used to counter a particular look that the defense gives you that is going to give your particular offensive play problems.
    It sounds plain, but accordingly. All the time? No. Never? No. Exclusively on third downs? No. Hypothetical : If you line up in the flex spread, with 3 WR and 1 TE out wide, it appears to be a man-to-man defense, and a LB is covering your TE(who's running, lets say, a drag route,) then hot routing him, to a route that you think can give you separation, then do it! Most of us understand football, and if we don't, then we understand how the game works. A Cover 0 Man Blitz is tough to beat sometimes, if the opponent is using it, and hot routing is the only way a player, or play works, then it might have to be done. Not a stance I take myself, but I'm trying to be objective.
    Kind of covered in the above.
    For every REAL hot route I use in game, I'm also setting a 'false' hot route. 70% is keeping players back to block for me.
    I haven't been in a situation this season were I've felt I was being abused by it, no.
    No, not when it's being mixed up. Different routes, players and plays keep it from being repetitive and 'cheese.' I know that there's been four to six turnovers this season for my offense when targeting a hot routed receiver.

If you run an 'Aggressive 3-4 or 4-3' defense, 30 to 40 percent of the time.
    To cause confusion mostly. There's only a set amount of plays to choose from, but when I can use the same look multiple times, without ever having the same structure(switching the blitzing players with a player who isn't,) it usually forces the opponent to make an extra read. Mostly to cause pressure in the passing game given the choice.
    I mix it up, try and blitz on 'obvious' non-blitzing situations, and don't blitz on 'obvious' blitzing situations. I don't want to call, or dial up, a blitz strictly on situation.
    Zone blitzes. Man blitzes are a slightly more dangerous, more prone to get beat I feel. Press Man Blitz is something I hate having to deal with, and very rarely call it in game.
    Prevent stacking mostly. Also keeping from Pressing when blitzing.
    If I'm playing smart on offense, and I'm seeing a ton of blitzing, then I adjust my playbook accordingly. There are teams that have blitzed more than others, and while it's frustrating, usually it's something the situation calls for.
    If anything, it's not effective enough. There's more than a bunch of times I've sent 5, or 6, and no one came close to sniffing the quarterback.

13. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

How should they be used? I don't have a problem with people using hot routes when they see coverages that they know can be exploited. Now I don’t want someone coming to the line every play and making 3-5 adjustments, but if they want to hot route a receiver or whatever, let em.
    When should they be used? See above, if you feel that if you change to a particular route based on the coverage that you see then by all means.
    How often should you use them? I’d like for this not to happen every snap, but I am not sure there should be hard rule around it. It goes back to don’t be a douche.
    What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I don’t hot route that often to be honest. If I am in the two minute drill and I am driving down the field, I might hot route certain things so I’m not running the same set of plays. Sometimes I’ll hot route here and there but not every play.
    Do you feel they're over used? Sometimes, it depends on the player.
    Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? Umm, I am not really sure. As you can see from my record, I’m not the best madden player, so I have an issue seeing if someone’s blatantly taking advantage of me. The one thing that I will add I don’t like is the folks who motion someone every play.

How often should you blitz? Keep it consistent w/ the NFL if possible. 20% of the time perhaps. Maybe 30% on the high side.
    Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both? Both, depends on the flow of the game. I’d like to not blitz if my defensive line’s generating pressure so I can cover better, but if I am having issues and I’m just getting shredded, I will try other things.
    In what situations do you blitz? I am all over the board. I don’t limit myself to situations because I want to keep offensive coordinators guessing.
    What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes? I honestly use both. I bet people zone blitz more.
    What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? None
    Do you feel they're over used? Nah
    Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? No

14. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

• How should they be used? To smart route, block, or when you feel a blitz coming IMO.
    • When should they be used? Sort of same as above.
    • How often should you use them? Not very often IMO.
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? If I feel like I'm in the wrong play to attack a front or situation I would audible before hot routing many things. I generally only use them to smart route to make a route shorter or longer based on the distance. Also to keep guys in to block. Also "dummy" hot routes to cause confusion.
    • Do you feel they're over used? In this league no not usually.
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? Not really.

• How often should you blitz? It really depends.
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both? Both, moreso to stop run though I don't generate enough pressure to stop the pass.
    • In what situations do you blitz? I think blitzing is most effective when it's not expected so I try and be unexpected with my playcall and cause confusion.
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes? Generally zone. I feel man leaves you more vulnerable.
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? I'm not a very good blitzer, I don't really have any limitations I just try not to go crazy with them. I don't blitz often though because I don't tend to be more successful when do.
    • Do you feel they're over used? By some players you could make a point they are. Generally no though.
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? When paired with press yes.

15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

agreed.

I also agree with this- IMO if guys really, really don't like the play they called go with a formation audible.. not a full on hot route fest.

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

aren't you a 3-4? If so then I could understand blitzing more than normal.. if not, well, nevermind then.

17. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Nope, 4-3.

18. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

One of these on the running game would be nice fuzzyl0gic -- something addressing how people think stretches, tosses etc should be ran or mixed. Maybe other questions as well if you can think of more.

19. Masler

Masler Moderator

• How should they be used? - Be smart with it. If you see something in the defense you know you can beat by changing a route go for it. If your opponent doesn't pick up on that, shame on them.
    • When should they be used? - Whenever necessary, now that doesn't mean abuse it and constantly change routes, defeats the purpose of the original play you called. Be smart with it.
    • How often should you use them? - Pretty much the same question as above.
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? - I hot route on occasion. I would say less than 5 times per game, you spend all your time hot routing...you're going to end up with a delay of game.
    • Do you feel they're over used? - Not from what I have seen.
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? - Just depends on the situation, if the routes beats the coverage yes....if not, obviously no.

• How often should you blitz? - Depends on your defensive scheme. Blitzing should be done under the right situation, not every down.
    • Do you blitz to stop the run, get pressure in the passing game, or both? - I prefer to get pressure with it, blitzing on the run hasn't been overly effective with me this release.
    • In what situations do you blitz? - Third downs most of the time.
    • What do you see and/or use more, zone blitzes or man blitzes? - Man blitzes. I find a zone blitz breaks down the coverage too much, making an already easy passing game that much easier.
    • What limitations do you hold yourself to with them? - I try to never call more than 2 blitzes in a row.
    • Do you feel they're over used? - It varies coach to coach.
    • Do you feel the mechanic itself is overly effective? - From what I have seen they are very effective this release, that is if you have the right players. Seems like all some have to do is raise Block Shed and Power/Finesse and they are all over the backfield.

20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Masler so out of curiosity where do you draw the line between "If you see something in the defense you know you can beat by changing a route go for it." and taking advantage of the mechanic?

21. Masler

Masler Moderator

Taking advantage would mean you keep doing it. Like a constant streak where you know the WR will beat the DB. If you did it just once, I wouldn't see a problem with that.

22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Well, agree to disagree.. was just curious. IMO just because you only do it once in a while doesn't make it alright to do 5 or so times a game.

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

Well yea if someone hot routed 5 times a game to the same thing, that's crossing the line. I'm just saying hot routing shouldn't be done as a money play or big yardage, should be done to progress the ball as well as you can. Beat the defense, not take advantage.

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    In the 3-4, you aren't really blitzing unless you send more than four, just like the 4-3.

25. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Isn't that somewhat dictated by the defense? If you come out in cover zero man constantly, I will hot route every play to throw a deep ball until you stop.

• Like Like x 1