Sim Play

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Sim Play

Apparently, some of us need this spelled out in specific terms, so here goes:

You're up 49-28 in the 4th quarter. There's a minute and change left in the game. You have put up over 600 yards of offense. The game is over ...

... and you pass the ball for a touchdown, score 56, and make the commish groan.

There's no need to be passing. There's no need to run a play. Burn up the clock, and end the game. Turn on the chew clock, and kneel on the ball or run an iso up the middle. This kind of stat-seeking doesn't fly around here.

I think we all know what's coming, but I'm going to wait on it a bit. I'll let the guys have their way with you for a while.

I'm going to buy everyobne here a bracelet with the letters "WWTD" printed on them. They stand for "What would Tressel do?" and they'll stand as a reminder of what I'm looking for in terms of restraint.

2. Goose

Goose Walk On

punt on 2nd down? lol ALL HAIL TRESSEL!!!

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

ftr...he did state numerous times that he was bringing the spurrier noise to make waves with the voters. i dont like it. but can i say its unsim?

and hey...he didnt run much. lmao. good grief. carolina...you play too much video game football. i vote that next year we make carolina be san jose state. not as punishment...but just to see how much offense he would miraculously generate with em!

4. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

So many jokes could be made with that...

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Sorry Arch, . Sorry man.

6. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Low down dirty cheese. BTW....you're not Steve Spurrier bud.

Be respectful of your opponent bro.

7. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

That is something Spurrier USED to do. His team's suck now so he can't. :p

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

true...very true...

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I wouldn't say I cheesed...I ran a legit playcall to see what the backup could do on a tough throw. Sorry man, you live you learn. Didn't mean to offend you.

10. vatechhokie01

carolina is undefeated and did trounce the best team in the country and can't buy a vote with the pollsters...just saying.

of course, I'm a Beamer guy.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

What I ask is that the members ask themselves what it is like to be in my position. For example, we have a bunch of guys playing tight with the CPU. We have guys losing to worse teams against the CPU. The difficulty is there. And we have one guy who, all by himself, is forcing me to crank up the difficulty by putting up arcade numbers. So, if this keeps up, I have to make the league impossible for most just to make it semi-realistic for a single coach. That's a tough spot to be in. When an average team is unstoppable, and a mid-level (maybe honorable mention all-conference in a good year) back is running away with the rushing title and setting himself up to break all the relevant rushing records, I am forced to make some kind of decision. Basically, I have to hurt everyone to hem you in and get things back to reality.

But it's not me doing it. I just want everyone to know that. Our play affects not only our teams, but the league as a whole. This kind of thing paints me into a corner.

12. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Its not cheese, but very unsportsman like & you did it against the commish. Not sure what your standing is in here Easy, but I be surprised if Archie doesn't come down on you very hard, maybe even booted.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just an FYI -

G-Unit's been a round from the start of this thing, and he's probably seen it all. His word's pretty much gospel around here.

He's just a little more direct than I am.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

He was playing the CPU at the time. I just reviewed the game summary. I don't necessarily want to discuss the nuclear option just yet. Easy is a good member and a great presence in the forums. I don't want to make him feel unwelcome. I do, however, want the guys to self-police and take him for a bit of a ride.

15. jkhaalis991

Against the CPU......wow

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I consider myself to be a Paterno guy, I coach in real life that way. I guess I let the power of being able to score get to me, and did something I shouldn't have done. I apologize for that, Arch in the future please handle this man to man in a private message.

17. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

Let's give him the Tebow Training Camp haircut!!!

[​IMG]

18. jkhaalis991

Carolina, was this a home game for & if so did you have recruits coming in?

19. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

no it was away, i didn't think it had an impact on the recruits.

20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Guys, I want to address a few things. Yes I have been putting up big numbers, but I follow a diversified game plan to do this. I call a WIIIIIDE variety of formations and plays to do this, I am not running the same play over and over again.

I also don't want to negatively impact everyone's experience based upon my own success. What does this mean for me? I guess I have to use more of my second stringers, when ahead. I already run predominately, although this past game I really struggled to do so, Kentucky really shut me down and forced me to pass. I hate to bring in my backup lineman cause some of those are dlineman. I am really thin, and I don't make global changes due to this. Arch, I will try to keep the scores down, but sometimes (alabama?) I have to keep the starting o in and need to score those big points. How can you blame me for that? I have kind of felt some vitoral aimed at me because I beat Alabama, at home btw. Maybe it is imagined but your reaction was not what I would call cordial. But I will work, remember this is my first experience here, I will make mistakes and I appreciate your ability to not go nuclear on me, but please address things to me privately and I will work to change them.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I do my best to say whatever I have to say to guys in public, so there's no ambiguity about how I run things. There are issues that I handle privately, but gameplay issues are a public thing for me. Everyone is learning from this, and that is a good thing.

I've been taken for a ride myself from time to time.

22. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Okay, I understand your rationale, and respect that. I really don't know what to do about the scores though. I mean I do run predominately, and it is typically a zone of some sort, or a dive. Rarely the option because I don't want to lose Garcia. I am not much of a passer although when forced to do so I can. I don't know how to explain my success on the field, but I don't want to be a problem either.

Also a real question here: is running the same play out of multiple (8-10) formations considered cheese? I run the stretch out of every formation at some point in the game, is that a cheese? If it is then I need to adjust.

23. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

The scary thing thing with Carolina is he is doing this with a S.Car. team that has ZERO players I believe ranked in the nineties. He is using a true freshman running back ranked as an 81 overall and he leads the nation now in rushing yards, and tds and he has a ridiculous ypc. What happens when he actually has a really good team?

There is no need to run up scores. I am not so sure that the pollsters will move you up b/c of it.

As for the backup q.b. excuse, that's just gay. You have had several games in which he should have had plenty of time to throw a bit.

Time for someone to be San Jose State. :)

24. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

it is not an excuse it is what I did. I am telling y'all what my thinking was in an effort to be honest. It really wasn't a "hey I need this for the voters thing" It was a "hey lets see what he can do in this spot". It was wrong, beat me while I am down, ect.ect....

Also the running back happens to be very quick and very fast when I break the line of scrimmage he is able to get 8-9. The new set up is nice. It took me out of my run game this past game and forced me to pass. Lattimore only had 125 yards (off the top of my head), and most of that was late in the game he only went over 100 in the middle of the 4th quarter. But let me ask everyone something.

Take away that late passing touchdown, is there anything wrong with the score 48-28? It was 28-20 at half? Would I be fine if that was the case?

25. vatechhokie01

i personally don't have THAT big of an issue with some of this. my style? no. but what i do, and i would guess most people do, have an issue with is just the overall lack of backup RB, QB, and other players getting snaps (while also clearly not running out the clock) when you dominate every single game you play. look at the box scores. we all have used a hell of a lot of snaps on backup guys. and i usually try a pass or 2 with my backup but not to score a TD. its just football bro. look at the boxscores. look how many carries and plays (hard for QBs I guess but guarantee they are there) backups have on every single other team. also, if you run so much, how do you score so much. can you name a team in the history of ncaa football that was a running team that scored consistently in the 60s? just doesnt happen. just looking for sim. just my thoughts.