Simming: FINAL POLL

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by BobJr, Dec 11, 2013.

?

WHICH ONE?

1. SIM PLAYOFFS

88.9%
  2. PLAY PLAYOFFS

11.1%
  1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    THIS IS HOW IT WILL BE. ONE OF TWO VARIATIONS OF THIS:

A 36 HOUR SIMMING WINDOW. DURING THIS WINDOW WE WILL SIM THROUGH THE ENTIRE REGULAR SEASON STOPPING AT WEEK 1, WEEK 8, and WEEK 17.

At these times you will be able to make roster moves, and/or fire your HC (week 17)

The biggest question is do we SIM playoffs or do we not SIM playoffs. 2/3 will be needed to Play the Playoffs..

Coach_III
    Ryty
    Rhight
    smace767
    Jmustang1968
    Cimmy24
    thirdalarm
    Cole Copeland
    _MG_
    bigtubb_
    controllerabuser
    cadepetty247
    uagrad90
    thebouncer24
    JerzeyReign
    CTfromDC
    PepperNY
    BobJr
    G_T_G
    BG
    wayers50
    Blackattack87
    Emmdotfrisk
    pitt4life21
    fuzzyl0gic
    capp34
    xxkimura
    Hitmhrd72
    bandit3324
    CHUNKNESS
    KNICKSFAN_84
    DC

• Like Like x 1
  2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Vote SIM playoffs please lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

You know what I voted.

4. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Yea I see you voted to play playoffs

5. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

you play those playoffs always because going be fun games and morst exciting games of year its win or go home each year in nfl when playoffs start and your 0-0 record wise

6. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

SIM playoffs via blowout

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

That text I sent you last night

8. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Another?

[​IMG]

9. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Well done, everyone. *handshakes all around*

• Like Like x 1
  10. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Simulate the season.... Simulate the playoffs. Thank you for being so diligent about the proposed league changes, Bobby.

11. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Behind every great league there is a great leader. (This goes for you too Doug)

• Like Like x 4
  12. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    THE AMERICAN DREAM IS STILL ALIVE

• Like Like x 1
  13. smace767

smace767 Walk On

I havent voted yet. If somebody could give me a legit reason why we should sim the playoffs i have no problem voting to sim the playoffs.

I just dont see any reason why we should not play the playoffs. Some make a direct contradiction. " I want to play every game and not sim, but if we do sim i dont want to play the playoff games" if you want to play games then play games. The fun is in competing. Its already been broken down that sim and play the playoffs creates more games played then playing straight through will.

The reason to sim is not to skip seasons just to skip. its too progress 12 years in the future, making draft picks and smart cap decisions. AND see how that translate to actually playing the games.

I hear "you didnt earn it.

Your gm skills earned you the playoff spot and your user skills need to win you 3 or 4 playoff games to win a superbowl. This way the master gm still needs some stick skills and the stick skills guy still needs to make good gm moves. The champ then is the best gm with the best stick skills. Thats NFL football. The best GMs with the best on field skills win. This is still a play the game league. any championship should involve" a user. Its a game about fun. Those playoff games are fun and exciting why not play it.

See in our league guys werent worried about the sim engine screwed me. All 32 guys think my gm skills will get me in the playoffs and im gonna do damage and win out when i get there. They dont think im gonne get jacked during sim seasons so they dont count. the dude that won the full season superbowl won the sim season superbowl. Evey sim season superbowl winner had at least made the playoffs in a full played season since we started this in m13. two different teams won back to back sim and full played superbowls.

The time frame argument isnt even an issue. 4 extra days every 2 months. 12 guys will be involved in a high stakes winner take all format that would be a blast to play.

Forget how you get there. you there now, play to win. I almost voted straight sim, but its hard for me to reason why competitive alpha males when given the option to compete and play games, even in a limited fashion in just the playoffs vs sim wouldnt compete.

since we always played the playoffs it wasnt an issue. But you cant fire your coach until the week after your season is over. you cant fire/hire a coach wk 17. The first time you can fire a staff is wildcard weekend for those that are not in the playoffs and they get the staff resign task. some dont get the option until the division playoff round.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    smace767 I appreciate your well thought out post, but I think everyone is just kind of done with arguing. This is obviously a divisive issue, as I can't remember the last time I disagreed with a lot of the guys in the league on something, we are usually all in lock step with each other.

I think it just came down to people liking the idea of simming seasons we sim and playing the seasons we play, and didn't like the idea of crossing it over.

If you want my thoughts, go check out the discussion thread bob has. I made a couple posts arguing the other side of the coin.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  15. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Don't lie - you're never done arguing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Well, as it turns out, I am done arguing when the vote goes my way LOL

• Like Like x 3
  17. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

To me, winning sims doesn't make you a good GM. As far as I'm concerned, it's a flip of the coin and most anything can happen.

To me, the GM skills come into play by building a good long-term core of players, managing your cap so that gives you the ability to add more talent, and to get guys on your roster that fit your style and put you in a position to win ON THE FIELD. To me, the simming seasons just moves this process along faster - but it still comes down to what you put on the field, and what you do on the field.

Thanks for your perspective, though.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I will be honest. I voted with the majority for the reason that was stated by MG earlier...no point in arguing and I don't want to listen to the back handed "well I wanted it this way" bs we would see and have seen already after the vote to initiate the simming.

I was completely unsure though, so it wasn't like I wanted to argue one side or another, but I simply don't know. It is one of those things where you really don't know until you try.

Personally, I don't think the "you didn't earn that SB" matters a bit to me. The idea of simming isn't to have guys win more SBs. I could care less if you win a SB in a simmed season or a played season. You still have to actually beat tough teams regardless...whether its a well done roster managmenet or well done user'd team. I would put more weight on a SB won in a played out season.

For me I would see it more of a here is a SB won by a good sticks guy. Here is a SB won by a guy with good management skills. Two completely separate categories, two very worthy reasons in my book. This is why I wouldn't mind at all playing the playoffs. It allows users to control their team for XP gain and financial gain...which is pretty much what those against simming wanted. It could also be used as two separate "crowns" .... Good team management. Good stick skills. Then the combination of them both.

• Like Like x 2
  19. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Agree cimmy, thats what i was saying in chat yesterday.

Two different games being played, and you can with in both, but I think this also opens up the road to glory for guys who would never realistically win it with their stick skills.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Thanks for all of your valued input, Ted.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I agree with this, I think if its a GM year..then it should be a GM year all the way. Meaning, your skills as a GM should carry u through the playoffs as well

22. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Sim-season champions will always have an asterisk next to their name to me. Just being honest lol.

That's not a knock on anyone - just the game itself. That could change as I see how the sims turn out, but right now I am skeptical.

23. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  24. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

Agree with both of these 100%, I'm just looking at the sims as a way to improve the seasons we do play, winning a sim championship wouldn't mean much to me IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I guess I should rephrase what I meant.

Yes, I do think a SB in a fully played season means much more. I did not intend to say they're equal.

My point was that there is value in the sim SB win as well. Which, would still tie in user skill at the game. The "Road to Glory" or easy highway to crown mantra that some of you apply to it..I just don't see as valid. There is still skill implemented at different levels. I think we can all agree that a sim SB would indeed be one that carries an asterisk.

But some could say the same for played out seasons. Some games in season are simmed, some are against CPU, some are against depleted Chicago Bear MG teams...some are with loaded rosters like BK with Seattle in a season that guys may not have been too into...some are with not so great rosters in seasons where guys are full shaft deep into it like Frisk in HK1.

Again, there is a lot more weight on a played season then a sim season...but I don't think it is fair to say it is a given ring handed out by chance. Played games are often decided by luck and chance as well.

I do enjoy seeing the guys that are extremely in favor of one side of a decision or another. Shows how much you care for the league and the experience.

I also enjoy seeing those who support, then like, then "I 2nd this" on three different posts that contradict one another...

This league is entertainment at its finest and I throughly enjoy being a part of it (even if not in control)