Skills Lab

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Wyrmreaver, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Automatik
    Abominatrix
    Jamie
    RealUteRaven4rmLA
    GMONEY 15
    Five_Fifs
    qclassic 22
    justca11mejuice
    WarEagle2
    RobbyB34
    | DedStaar |

The genesis of this thread is the struggles of one particular player against the CPU. Lets use this spot to talk strategies for gameplay, recruiting etc. I realize sometimes it is hard to figure out how to play a balanced, sim style approach when the CPU is trucking you.

In my experience there are two main things to be good at in football games:
    • Scheming: Be able to call the right play at the right time. Get the matchup you want or catch the defense keying on something other than what you are doing. This involves things like reading the opponent presnap, understanding your players strengths and weaknesses, your opponents tendencies, and your playbooks.
    • Stick Skills: This is sort of a catch all for hitting the right buttons at the right time, getting your user controlled player in position to make a play and then making it. To me, this also includes reading the play post snap and reacting accordingly on both sides of the ball. It also involves things like hitting cutback lanes in the running game, making the right reads in the option, user catching and intercepting and so on and so forth.
    Anybody who is really good at either skillset is tough to beat and the best players on the site are really good at both.
    I encourage everyone to discuss, ask questions, and offer aid. Resist the temptation to not help the competition! In my experience, the more competitive each user game is the more fun the league is win or lose. For example, if I win a title but only play 3 users and crush them all it's just okay. On the other hand, if I survive four gruelling wins and lose a heartbreaker in the NC game I will remember that season long afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Never run off man.

3. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Love this idea Wyrm.

My 1st question is: How do you defeat Abominatrix?

Also another thing that seems to be a recurring theme in my Ws vs users is: I don't give up on my gameplan. Whenever I get down early vs users(both in Madden and Ncaa) and start going shotgun 90 % of the time is when things go from bad to worse. But if I stay patient and don't force things, I'll end up getting back into the game and have a great shot at winning at the end.

4. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

I wouldn't mind running off man, if after the 5th curl route for a 1st down the damn CB would read the play and pick six it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

That's an easy one! Don't turn the ball over, don't give up the big play (I'm always gunning for it, I'm greedy like that - and the big play may very well be underneath on a curl/drag/out/slant/screen), take advantage of your opportunities, and TEST ME. In Wyrm's last BCSNC season, when he whooped my ass in Berkeley last year, he targeted my user FS and I choked. When I won in the BCSNC the year after, I got a user pick with my FS. So test me early, and if I'm off my game, keep it coming, don't be intimidated by the circle beneath the player's feet. Unless I pass the test, then go somewhere else :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention - lay off the hit stick. Users ALWAYS get in trouble when they try to lay everybody out (myself included). Keep contain, keep your feet, and wrap up - the chance of a FF isn't worth the risk of having your free hitter stumbling behind the ball carrier, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. Wyrmreaver

you can run off man on occasion. The trick is that you have to run enough zone so that your opponent thinks its not man and tryies to run posts and go routes. Also, if you really want to trip someone up, try off man but hot route your OLBs to buzz zones that will pick off a curl route.

7. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I'll give you the post and throw in the comeback, wheel and drag routes, but in my experience, every other route will beat off man (Slants are tricky - you have to lead the WR low and behind and have good catch in traffic). Any WR with respectable SPD and ACC will get past a CB on a go (if only by a hair, but user catching it usually gives enough boost).

8. Wyrmreaver

he summed it up pretty well. He is really good so you can't afford mistakes. On offense, take what he gives you and mix it up. On D you have to somehow slow the run without leaving yourself completely vulnerable to a freaking PA bomb.

honestly, abominatrix is probably top 10% on the site, he is a tough out.

9. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I see what you did there.

10. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

My question was more of a sarcastic/silly question(I know it's hard to convey sarcasm through texts only), but I'll take the advice :woot:

11. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Well, in that case...
    1) Injure your star HB.
    2) Injure the only CB that can stick with his WRs.
    3) Off man with no safety help every play on defense.
    4) Put in your slowest QB and run option.
    5) ...
    6) Profit!

I promise this'll work :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

My prob is sometimes I outsim myself. If I am pretty sure my opponent will run a curl route on most 3rd and long situations; I'll call a zone to keep playing "sim" style and of course get beat on most of them. Instead of calling a press man to counter.

Other problem is my damn running back sucks. 84 acc; pfft! But hey, getting fired in the first season isn't all that bad, right?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wyrmreaver

You are calling the wrong zone...... try cover 2 sink

14. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

i think this is my big problem - i didn't realize until last night that you can tackle with a button OTHER than the skill stick. i've always just used that to try and tackle.

15. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

hahaha. to me, this is Chinese!

16. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

Sup fella? Nice thread started here.

My biggest thing is trying to keep your turnovers down when your playing a USER game. That will get you a L . Also mixing things up on both sides of the ball. I remember years ago I use to run man D 99.5% of the time. You can't do that against good players. Now a days you have to mix in a few blitzes and some zone D and zone blitzes at times as well. Sometimes you will feel that doing it doesn't work. Try this first against a CPU team. Get a pad and when your on D, place a check mark on when you call a Man D and a check mark when you play zone. Then at the end of the game you look at it and take it from there.

I really can't talk about offense because I am just a average player.

I also try to keep a little book on certain players who give your problems and remember things when you play him next. I am not saying that it will work but it's worth a try.

Some really good players here on this OD.

My biggest headache is RECRUITING. I think it SUCKS.

17. Wyrmreaver

I love this years recruiting....

• Like Like x 1
  18. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

well, the user games i had this year weren't pretty, but i think the CPU has destroyed me more than the user games... which is an absolute pain in the ass. i'm quite comfortable losing to better user players that can throw me off my game or run a pretty solid gameplan, but losing to the computer hurts my loins.

i seem to do 'okay' at best on offense, but my defense is a shit show. it's rare that i get the CPU to punt, he usually just plays his way in to my endzone. he runs on me, he throws on me, etc. even when i hold him to like a 3rd & 7, he manages to scamper away from a pressed man coverage to find an opening in the middle or on the sidelines, for a 10-15yd play. i feel like my LBs and DBs just stand around when the CPU catches the ball and no one moves towards the receiver. even when i have the QB scrambling out of the pocket a little bit, and the DBs are on their receivers like glue, the DL guys run past the QB instead of sacking him. running is the same. the OL of the CPU controls my DL so bad that the CPU HB usually picks up 7+ yards effortlessly.

last night's game against Michigan (who are a strong team) went okay. a fumble for a TD, and INT that led to a TD and a 4th down play that i didn't think was 4th down resulting in a turnover hurt. those are my mistakes, and i need to change those. could have been a different game, but likely not. their D swallowed up my HB on any of the runs i was making. i think my HB was averaging -0.5yds on his first 5 carries. the other thing that is frustrating, and i don't know why it happens, is when i throw the ball to a WR on an out pattern, he just runs straight out of bounds after he catches up, even though i'm holding up on the control stick. it's like he can't turn to go up field. i've also had a bunch of quick or standard pass plays go for negative yards because my receivers come back for the ball and continue running in to my zone, instead of turning up field after catching it. even my HB, when he catches a screen pass, he kind of stands there for a second or two until he gets moving, giving the defence enough time to gang tackle him for a loss of yards. it's those kinds of plays that frustrate the piss out of me because it seems like the game doesn't know what it's doing.

19. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I'll let others address the previous stuff, but I do have some insight on why this may be happening. Due to the new locomotion system, you HAVE to be moving the left stick in the same direction as the player's momentum when you switch to him. If you try to turn upfield before your receiver has caught the ball, he will attempt to turn immediately out of a catch at a 90 degree angle, which is hard to do without great AGI (90+). It is much better to catch it, hold the stick in the same direction as your momentum, and slowly roll the stick to where you need to go (Ex: on an out, from sideline to upfield as quickly as your player can manage, dependent on AGI). When I try to cut too suddenly (or if I'm holding the stick up, instantly), I get the same weird behavior that you mention...I've had TEs on flat routes turn the wrong shoulder, even.

Basically, don't stress your players' agility too much. Agility is your ability to turn without losing speed, but you will always lose speed when you try an immediate cut. For an average player, this will halt momentum, and you will be put on your ass for no YAC.

That being said, there still are instances of the game screwing up momentum and halting your players incorrectly. As an option guy, my pitch men will sometimes get a perfectly clean pitch and just stop moving, and I have to accelerate from 0. Sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Hey G, I noticed that you spent XP on the game management side. You wasted a point on the No-controller vibration(You can turn off vibration from the Xbox Guide button, which also saves battery power). IMO you should spend your XP on recruiting first.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wyrmreaver

don't help my conference rivals! :)

22. GMONEY 15

Automatik

Thanks bro. Honestly they should have left recruiting along. Fuc$ up by 1000 1 week and then down 2000 the next week. I trying to deal with this recruiting SH%T as I don't want to leave these leagues because of it. I am not getting any kind of recruits and it fuc^%&b SUCKS.

23. Wyrmreaver

GMONEY 15

I love the new recruiting. I love that its hard and the CPU owns people, previous years user teams would far outstrip all CPU squads by year 5 in terms of talent.

24. GMONEY 15

well I am glad you like it bro. That's good for you. You seem to be doing well in your leagues in recruiting bro. It's OK. Hopefully when the coaching comes up in off season I can get a decent team that recruits well.

25. Automatik

Automatik Walk On

Yeah, your 1st year will be complete shit man. But now you know, and after this year which will probably end up in a BCS bowl game you'll have a good number of recruits to choose from.