Skills Lab

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Wyrmreaver, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

After Midnight

something I just put up in 4th horseman since we have a guy getting crushed by the CPU. Thought that even though everyone here is pretty solid at the game maybe guys would want to get some chatter going.

In my experience there are two main things to be good at in football games:
    • Scheming: Be able to call the right play at the right time. Get the matchup you want or catch the defense keying on something other than what you are doing. This involves things like reading the opponent presnap, understanding your players strengths and weaknesses, your opponents tendencies, and your playbooks.
    • Stick Skills: This is sort of a catch all for hitting the right buttons at the right time, getting your user controlled player in position to make a play and then making it. To me, this also includes reading the play post snap and reacting accordingly on both sides of the ball. It also involves things like hitting cutback lanes in the running game, making the right reads in the option, user catching and intercepting and so on and so forth.
    Anybody who is really good at either skillset is tough to beat and the best players on the site are really good at both.
    I encourage everyone to discuss, ask questions, and offer aid. Resist the temptation to not help the competition! In my experience, the more competitive each user game is the more fun the league is win or lose. For example, if I win a title but only play 3 users and crush them all it's just okay. On the other hand, if I survive four gruelling wins and lose a heartbreaker in the NC game I will remember that season long afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I'm good at neither so...

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Forget you, I'm not sharing my queso recipe!

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Queso recipe....let the cpu do the work :p

• Like Like x 2
  5. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

That is his recipe

6. Dru50

I have started picking plays on d again....sometimes. ;)

7. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Scheme: Lull my opponent to sleep with a "boring" power offense. Then when they are least expecting it, hit them with a trick play - something called a "forward pass"

• Like Like x 1
  8. MexiRican35

In which you then out-trick your own QB who throws his first of three interceptions for the game.

9. Dru50

I thought @Cheez was ASU's offensive coordinator last night. In a 14-3 game, ASU got the ball with 18 seconds left in the half, ran a play action pass from their own 25, got intercepted and gave me a chance to go up 21-3 before the half. :D

10. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

That sounds more like me...

11. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

After Midnight
    Now that my user game stretch is over I believe its safe to ask for help. Man defense...I cant get anyone open versus it. I need help. A lot of the user games I played this week, as soon as they switched up coverage to Man, my wideouts seemed to get zero seperation. So I need some tips.

12. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

It seems to be hit or miss some games.
    I play teams who use man all the time and some games its like my receivers can do no wrong and sometimes it's just ridiculously glove like... (like two of my first three games this year)

I do think it's rating based. or momentum. vs Man all i can say is look for the guy who releases...

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I do look for the release, but either I miss it or it just isnt there.

14. Dru50

Basically, my only solutions vs man press are to:

1) run dives straight ahead since I can usually get 3-4 yards,
    2) hit the slot WR's in 3-4 wide sets on the post or corner route since the man press seems to lock up the outside WR's pretty easily, or
    3) abuse the TE in coverage against LB's

{Begin rant} to be honest, if guys are going to go back to NCAA 12 and run man press a preponderence of the time, I may end up going the Cheez route and walking away down the road. It's really not enjoyable to have 90% of your playbook off limits because your opponent calls (or audibles at the line to) man press on nearly every play. I can move the ball against it, but I believe that "mixing it up" means you aren't supposed to run the same coverage every play. I know defense is challenging, but resorting to that style to try and get stops makes for a very frustrating game. {end rant}

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dru50

I want to clarify that my above rant is not directed at anyone, but based upon some party chat discussions the past few days it sounds like some are going the "man coverage 80% of the time" route. Just throwing out my opinion on it now. :)

16. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

i run zone about 80%

i usually get worked over hard in man....

recchem, run slants, outs, corners, and posts. use total control passing to come back to the ball on post routes or you'll get undercut for a pick....

17. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

My gameplan will change when Lee leaves. The press was specifically designed to take him out of the game because I don't have anyone good enough to cover him in zone, as we found out when you ran 2 straight deep out routes and had 10 yards of separation in the 1st quarter. There's no zone coverage in the game to take that away with my level of CB, so I switched it up. Didn't work every time but it slowed you down a little. Still mad I didn't get that interception over the middle on that last drive.

Also, I run zone press A LOT to try and disguise coverages because it's too easy to see otherwise, so it's not always man when I press. I run all the different coverages and mix it up on a regular basis anyway, so I'm not worried about what you said, just discussing why you may have seen more than normal last night. Just an adjustment from getting torched by the guy in season 1 and then 2 of the first 4 plays in this one. The more I think about it, the less upset I get about the 1000 post routes, as you made an adjustment to my D, which is exactly what I did to your O. Good cat and mouse and regardless of win or loss was really pleased with my team effort in the game (minus the 2 dropped picks by my supposed "star", who dropped another before finally making a pick vs UCLA).

Will also be less afraid to play zone with a couple veteran CBs next season as both guys come back

18. Dru50

I understand the strategy, but personally I don't feel like pressing your coverage every play is mixing it up. Just my opinion. I won't do it, but like you saw I'll go to what I have to on offense to combat it ;).

19. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

Just an older guys perspective on this....lol

I use to run man almost 70% of the time a couple of years ago. Now I have a piece of paper when I play USERS is whenever I pick a defense I mark. It's either ZONE or MAN. If you get into the habit of changing it every play, you will have a pretty cool MAN / ZONE ratio. I'm not saying it's going to be 50/50. However it will be close to 60/40 or even 55/45.

Just my 2 cents from the Stanford coach with 0 XP's AND WILL GET bombed in recruiting as well as game planning until the PATCH comes out. :D

20. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

I personally don't think this is even a man vs zone issue... I think it's more press vs non-press...

I prefer zone, unless my D is on coverage fire.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jayrah

I didn't say I was switching it up in our game. I said I switched up the strategy of allowing Lee to run out routes and crosses all game against my soft zone like you did in season 1 :p Don't worry that strategy won't happen that way again with you running slants and posts every play like that.

Here's the real problem though. This goddanged game needs to have real strategy in dealing with 1 SINGLE WR! If I could mark a guy with Double Coverage every time I go man AND/OR take a guy and follow him all over the field AND/OR press 1 SINGLE WR every play without having to bump him (or if you could press and NOT bump)... That would solve it all. We shouldn't have to press everybody. WR/CB interaction and play both in animations and where I've mentioned in strategy is becoming more and more an issue in this game.

Also, since we're talking skillz lab here, I need to know if there is a bump on zone press. I would like to simply press there and in "zone" there should not be a bump. If there is it's going to change a little bit of what I do. I know in cover 2 and most of the non-blitz Man coverages the CB's play up to the LOS and they SHOULDN'T bump in that instance unless you press but they probably do. I'll have to go into practice and look at it again.

IF I can run zone press WITHOUT bumping, I should be allowed to press every play if I want and that's a legit way to play. That's probably not the case as the game probably doesn't recognize pressing as not necessarily wanting to bump, which brings up another thought, that I should be able to play Off-Man without having to back up my secondary 15 yards.

god this game blows. :p

22. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I think some of you guys need to go back and check what TSO was founded on. Mix your shit up! Jesus guys, we have never had these issues in the past!

My intent for posting about man d was to get tips on how to attack it. I'm struggling with it. Now if guys are gonna start using it 90% of the time because it works, you're damn right I'm gonna have an issue with it. Bottom line, mix up your play calling. Just because you can do something in this game doesn't mean you should.

23. MexiRican35

Comebacks work against man. They do take a while to develop though. Also, post routes that have a slant look to them also work. But, once again, also take time to develop. I'd say have one WR run one of those routes with another guy running a drag. Use the drag as a hot read, since man coverage could indicate a blitz coming.

24. Jayrah

That's what we're talking about... :rolleyes:

25. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Man is generally not an issue, as mentioned earlier, its mostly an issue when the Defense bumps and they obliterate your freshman WRs lol.

I prefer offense when the opponents are using man, just not when my WR cant release and Im getting sacked before my receivers can get 5 yards downfield...
    This is not new though, people did this in '13 as well. Just seems like this go round man is either REALLY good in a game or adequate...