Skyrim Thread

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by JCspartan2, Nov 16, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Let's keep the skyrim talk out of the football talk. If nothing gets posted here, fine, but I don't want to clutter the other threads for everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

What are your character builds?

Like I have said before, I'm going with a Dark Elf Mage to begin. He seems to be pretty powerful and although MaslerBoros16 has stated that they are weak against frost dragons, shouldn't they also be strong against them with their Fire attacks?

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Also I am thinking about doing a stealth assassin type character next, what class should I use?

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I too would like to know this =[ Id use him in a second file if i could

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I have a lvl 22 Breton Mage. I was originally going to use fire and ice since I figured draining anyone's stamina would be nice, but with the number of mages I've come across and seeing what a royal fucking pain in the ass it is to fight lightning mages (they drain my magicka very quickly) I'm focusing on fire and lightning instead. For damage I mainly use firebolts/lightning equivalent and fireballs/chain lightning. I love using detect life to see where mobs are and then stealth dual casting a rune around a corner and leading them to it. I'm also heavy into alteration since I wear only cloth and can't survive 2 seconds in melee without my improved ironskin and restoration. Just yesterday I finally was able to get 50% bonus to both fire and lightning and I can dish out massive damage very quickly. I'm sure I'll eventually have to put some points into HPs, but thus far I've spent every point on magicka.

Thus far I have:
    Destruction (~63):
    Novice Destruction - Cast Novice level Destruction spells for half magicka
    Destruction Dual Casting - Dual casting a Destruction spell overcharges the effects into an even more powerful version
    Apprentice Destruction - Cast Apprentice level Destruction spells for half magicka
    Augmented Flames (2/2) - Fire spells do 50% more damage
    Augmented Shock (2/2) - Shock spells do 50% more damage
    **Impact - Most destruction spells will stagger an opponent when dual cast
    Rune Master - Can place runes five times farther away
    Adept Destruction - Cast Adept level Destruction spells for half magicka
    **This is beyond awesome and an absolute must have.

Alteration(~64):
    Novice Alteration -Cast Novice level Alteration spells for half magicka
    Apprentice Alteration -Cast Apprentice level Alteration spells for half magicka
    Mage Armor (2/3) -Protection spells like Stoneflesh are 2.5x as strong if not wearing armor
    Adept Alteration -Cast Adept level Alteration spells for half magicka

Restoration(40): I really need to improve this more, but I don't have many opportunities to level it. I could always just find some wolves and let them pound on me while I heal, but that's boring as hell.
    Novice Restoration -Cast Novice level Restoration spells for half magicka
    Regeneration -Healing spells cure 50% more
    Apprentice Restoration -Cast Apprentice level Restoration spells for half magicka
    **Recovery (1/2) -Magicka regenerates 25% faster
    **I really need to get restoration leveled up so I can get this up to 50% boosted magicka regen

Alchemy(~50+):
    Alchemist (1/5) --Potions and poisons are 20% stronger
    Physician -Potions you mix that restore health, magicka or stamina are 25% more powerful
    *This is where I'll spend my next few points as I wait for destruction and alteration to get up to lvl 70 to unlock some new perks (I've already gotten every lower level perk I want from them).

I also spent a couple of points into speechcraft since I spend a lot of my time selling crap that I can't use. My stealth and lockpicking are fairly high, but I won't put any points into those.

6. jello1717

I want to do the same that's mainly an archer. I created an Argonian for this and got him to around lvl 5 or so, but after dying in a fight because I ran out of arrows, I shelved him as it would really, really suck to run out of arrows and be worthless. I was dual wielding daggers, but I'd much rather use a bow.

7. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

You guys find any sweet shouts? I'm kinda disappointed by what I've found so far.

10. jello1717

I haven't done the main questline which is where I expect most of them to be, but I've found 5 so far. 1 is a knockback on a 15s recast. I have 2 words for another which seems to be a frost DOT which was underwhelming. I've found another which slows down time, but I haven't even spent a soul on that one (I have 3 saved up I think). The last one is the one I use all the time is one that freezes my enemy. I use this as my "oh shit!" shout when I'm getting hammered and need a break to heal/set up a rune/regen magicka. I only have 1 word for that so I don't know what the 2nd and 3rd ones would do for it (probably make it last longer). I could find out online (as well as what other shouts are), but for my 1st play through the game, I'm not gonna look up anything.

11. jello1717

Nautica, how is your mage's survivability? Mine wears cloth only (does yours?) so my armor buff is much more effective (I have 2/3 points into the perk that upgrades it). With it on I think I have 200 armor but I haven't played anyone else so I don't know if that's high. What I do know is that if I let some 2-handers get close to me, they 1 shot me, and some archers 2 shot me (the 1st shot takes off about 80% life so it's more like a 1.2 shot).

Methinks that it might be time to start increasing my health (I think I'm only at 130 with a +30 ring) instead of doing nothing but +magicka.

12. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I haven't gotten to much into it like you have. I'm right past killing the 1st Dragon and haven't died yet. The Dragon was SUPER easy to kill though if that means anything..?

13. jello1717

I've killed 5 so far and they've all been really easy. Sadly, I've fought much tougher "normal" monsters than the dragons.

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

Breath of Fire
    Become Ethereal
    Unrelenting Force (Have all 3 words)

15. Masler

Masler Moderator

The mammoths are not to be fucked with. I was running from one and ran into a random dragon, those two started fighting and the mammoth won (a win situation for me as I absorbed the soul). Also the trolls are beasts too, got ambushed by one and had no chance.

16. Masler

Masler Moderator

It will get harder I'm sure, that Frost Dragon gave me fits but then I ran into another not too long after and easily destroyed it with my Breath of Fire.

17. jello1717

Mammoth and giants are actually cake for me now and it's pretty disappointing (although I could always move up to expert instead of adept). My mage has impact which means that dual casted destruction spells will stagger (stun) the target. What happens is I come up on a giant/mammoth from range, dual cast a fire/lightning spell. They're stunned. Very shortly after they recover from the stun they're hit with another dual casted spell which stuns them again. Rinse and repeat. Unless my targeting is off, I won't have to move and a giant will die before he even closes 1/4 of the ground between us.

As for trolls.... With them being weak to fire they melt into troll fat very quickly. The ones that give me fits are damned archers 2 shotting me and 2 handed users when they get close.

18. Masler

Masler Moderator

I can take care of the giants easily enough now that I have learned all 3 words of Unrelenting Force...I have an Imperial Bow of Embers to take care of trolls and the mammoths I just sprint around until I can use Flame enough to bring them down. Just found an Elven Mace that does great damage but haven't really had a chance to test drive it.

19. jello1717

This is the 1 (and only 1) thing I don't like about my mage. It even makes me want to roll an archer too. You non mages get all kinds of cool weapons and armor. You're always looking for something new to upgrade your gear. My mage doesn't use a weapon and only wears cloth armor so I don't get the satisfaction of finding that new cool weapon or armor piece. "What's that? An Imperial Bow of Embers? Maybe I can get a couple hundred gold for it. What am I gonna do with that gold? Buy a new weapon? No. New armor? No. I guess I'll buy another house."

One of the main draws of these kind of games is the pursuit for new loot, but as a mage, I can't do that.

20. Masler

Masler Moderator

You could do what I do...carry around a set of heavy armor and a set of light (or in your case mage clothing) as well as a ranged weapon and close combat. You should have enough strength to carry it all around and change to what you need depending on the situation. If you know you will be fighting mages or necromancers most of the time then use your light/mage armor, if it is a dragon or bandits, bring out the heavy armor and bash their skulls in.

21. jello1717

My Mage is much more effective in cloth and I'd be hurting her offense (and defense) if I wore armor.

22. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

A guy at college modded the game for me so that I can play it on my laptop. It's not nearly as pretty as on my desktop, but very playable. I think I'm going to go with a full out aggro guy on my laptop to play when i'm bored at school.

But I definitely love playing as a mage.

23. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

jello1717 when did you go to the college for the mages? I just got done beating the 1st dragon with my new character and am looking to head straight there, should I?

24. jello1717

I went pretty early, probably around the same spot where you are now. There was 1 particularly brutal dungeon involved in the questline though which even now (I'm lvl 25 I think) was the most enjoyable dungeon I've done.

25. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

did you happen to find the keep with the werewolfs in it? there was a massive amount of money in that cave, and the silver swords were low in weight and high in value.