Slider Discussion for Next Season

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Slider Discussion for Next Season

Hey guys, just want to generate a slider discussion here. I think our current set is okay, as guys have lost some games (even big games) to the computer. Do we want to change anything? Do we want to move back to All-American with a good set of sliders?

I am already thinking that lowering the user QB accuracy by 5 or 10 points is a necessity. Anything else? I wouldn't mind jumping up to AA with the sliders that TTII uses. The CPU will be a little bit more competitive, but nothing too crazy. I'll post them here in a minute.

2. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'd agree on upping the difficulty for passing a notch or two...What about RB Ability? I haven't looked to see what our RB numbers are for the season but if I remember correctly I only recall LSU having a top rusher and his numbers were def. not eye popping. I have a really hard time running, even when I had DeMarco Murray.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I don't remember the numbers or who else was there, but I remember the top 3 rushing teams in the country were Army (duh!) , GT (duh!) and Michigan.

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Army is out of necessity, I couldn't pass with them to save my life...my best receiver is a converted fullback.:)

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I like the idea of AA sliders. Don't know what they look like, but I don't think we want to go below 15 for QBA. I'm pretty sure 10 was the point where things started getting uncontrollable.

For what it's worth, Utah's RB ran for 275 yards against me in the bowl game. There were a lot of points scored at the end of the game but for the first 3 quarters I felt like there was a real chance I might not win. It was fun.

I haven't been running the ball very well either this season, but last season I was ok. So I chalk it up to new RBs and a weaker line than I had last year.

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I looked at individual rushing numbers last night...None of us had a top 5 guy. One of LSU's guys had about 1300 yards, just under and was around Top 10 or so. As for passing, several of us were in the Top 5 or Top 10 (Bradford, Clausen, Brantley), maybe more. I didn't take notes.

7. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Okay, so it seems like as of now we are comfortable with the challenge from the CPU? I never really had a challenge from a CPU team. The running game for me wasn't that difficult against the CPU either -- I think I had a back over 100 in every game. The only reason I didn't have a rusher up there was due to Demps getting injured early in the season. Army, GT, and Michigan having the top three rushing offenses makes perfect sense to me.

We're definitely going down on user QB Accuracy. We'll start with going down 5 and work off that. If we still have three guys over 200 QB rating, we'll need to go down 5 more. If that is too much, we can always go back up.

Does anyone besides Dat and me want to go up to adjusted All-American difficulty? We can just keep tweaking on our current level, or we can switch. Here are TTII's AA sliders. Definitely challenging, and if you are off your game you have a very realistic chance of losing:

Sliders & Settings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Difficulty: All-American
    Quarters: 7 mins

Sliders
    Offense Human CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 30 40
    Pass Block 55 45
    WR Catching 40 35
    RB Ability 40 55
    Run Blocking 45 50
    Defense Human CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 40 55
    Pass Rush 45 50
    Interceptions 30 40
    Rush Defense 45 55
    Tackling 45 50
    Special Teams Human CPU[/U][/B]
    FG Power 40 45
    FG Accuracy 45 45
    P Power 50 50
    P Accuracy 45 55
    Kickoff Power 50 55

8. jello1717

Not me. In 2 years I haven't lost once to a CPU team (but granted my team was rated higher than all of them except for aOSU I think). For what it's worth, however, this isn't just a varsity vs. AA thing either as I still haven't lost to the CPU in my UNC dynasty either and we play on AA there. I don't understand it as in my offline dynasty I've lost 9 of 47 games on AA.

Likewise for me. I don't get that many 100 yard backs, but that's because I spread the carries around between my HB1, HB2, QB, WR1, and WR2. While I don't put up large totals per rusher, I do put up large averages. Here are my top 6 rushers from this year:
    Player POS ATT YDS AVG TD
    Vincent Smith HB 140 890 6.4 14
    Tate Forcier QB 155 446 2.9 6
    Michael Shaw HB 75 427 5.7 7
    Terrance Robinson HB 51 348 6.8 3
    Fitzgerald Toussaint HB 39 203 5.2 2
    Martavious Odoms WR 21 156 7.4 3

As a rough guesstimate (WOW! That passes the spell checker!) I would think that if you didn't include his sacked yards, Forcier would be about a 5.0 yard average, meaning that none of my top 6 rushers averaged less than 5 yards per carry which sounds pretty outlandish to me. On the other hand, it sort of makes sense. I run a lot of options which should average more yards than a dedicated run (I think). Obviously if I can tell my QB will get more yards, he keeps it. If I can tell my HB/WR will get more, I'll pitch it/hand it off. That in and of itself should mean that the guy how does get the carry should get the most possible yards.

Anywho, my point was that running the ball is too easy for me (and probably for most of the other option teams) but a lot of you pro style guys have pretty poor YPC numbers so maybe we can't go any lower. I find this interesting, however, as it's a universally known truth on the interwebs that the shotgun running game is garbage in NCAA '10 and the pro style running game is very good.
    I've been pretty vocal in the past about my distaste for our varsity sliders and my desire for AA sliders (I hate Heisman sliders more than varsity) and nothing has changed with that.

The 1 thing I really, really, really like about our current sliders is the kicking game. FGs are far from automatic and i like that. If we do switch sliders, I'd like our FG sliders to be like we had there.

Here's a slightly old version of AA sliders that I used in my offline dynasty, just for comparison. Keep in mind that these have been tested by one user playing as one team, using one playbook so they may not work as well for an OD with many different user skill levels and playstyles.

All American
    7 minute quarters

OFFENSE:
    Slider user CPU
    QBA 20 15
    PB 40 20
    WRC 45 45
    RBA 45 50
    RB 50 55*

*I was never able to get a decent CPU rushing game with Run Blocking less than 55. It can get frustrating because you end up with a lot of defenders on their asses, but I just couldn't get them to have success with it at 50 or below.

DEFENSE
    Slider user CPU
    PC 60 60
    PR 75 60
    INT 20 15
    RD 15** 85**
    T 50 55

** This is also crucial to getting the CPU to stop my run and for the CPU to run on me. I've gone as low as 5 rush defense for me but then the CPU was running all over me. 15 might be too high but it still seems to work for me. Having the CPU at 85 is lower than what I had. I had that at 95, but it was extremely difficult for me to get anything outside the tackles (where I do most of my running).

ST
    Slider user CPU
    FGP 0 0
    FGA 20 50
    PP 50 50
    PA 25 100
    KOP 40 50

My user QBA is probably too low as I have actually thrown more picks than TDs, but I think that the majority of those were user error and not my QB throwing it somewhere that I didn't intend. Because of that, I've stuck it out with the lower QBA number to see if I can improve my passing game.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Could someone post a "How To Run The Ball on NCAA 10" for me? I must be missing something...Even when I use a more traditional playbook (lots of Ace, some I, some Shotgun) I feel my rungame is weak...

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

One key is do not hold down the sprint button as soon as you get the handoff. As has been the case in EA's football games since god knows when, this causes defenders to get off their blocks WAY quicker and take better angles of pursuit right for your guy. You want to wait until you are in or through the hole to mash the sprint button. Other than that, getting juky helps. Also, having a back that will fall forward a lot of the time is invaluable.

Jello -- great stuff man. I wholeheartedly agree about our kicking currently. I love it. The sliders I posted have been used in the Deuce for a while now, and the results have been fantastic and very sim.

11. jello1717

I don't know what to tell ya JHeb. I use ND's playbook for UNC which is very pro style and I run all over teams. I'm no stick jockey in any definition of the word (I don't think I've ever done a spin move or hurdle in any of my hundreds of dynasty games). I just find the hole and run through it.

I'll agree with Basis 100% about the power back too. In '09 they were completely worthless, but in '10 they are probably better than speed backs. UNC has Ryan Houston who is about 250lbs, only has 87 speed (which would've made me completely ignore him in '09) and as a SR has about 90+ break tackle and 85+ trucking and he is an absolute beast. I've never seen a back run over so many defenders. Ryan Houston is the reason that I went out and signed a power back this year.

12. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Do the sliders have any bearing on user vs. user games?

13. jello1717

The sliders themselves don't, but the difficulty level does.

14. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Well, I am all for anything that allows the defense to have a better chance at forcing a punt in user games.

15. jello1717

I agree with this. In user games, it seems like there are usually 2 things that can happen on offense:

1. Offense scores.
    2. Offense makes a mistake and turns it over.

16. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Agreed...I'm all for the bump up to All-American...If it's worked really well in TFII then I'm sure they're good sliders. That's one of the premier leagues in TF and I'm sure they have worked out many if not all of the kinks that they can.

As for the running game, I must admit I've been a "speed" masher...I've been working on forcing myself to NOT do that but it's tough. I'll keep at it and will also work to force myself to be more dedicated to the run game. I picked up Anton Richardson (RB #3) so maybe he'll help me. I'm hoping my RB this season comes back (Jermie Calhoun, Soph.) to school and decides to NOT go pro. I doubt he will since he was underused this season.

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I average about 2 punts per user game. In some leagues it is higher even.

18. jello1717

This year, my user games have been like this:
    Me - 1 punt, PSU - 0
    Me - 1, MSU - 2
    Me - 0, ND - 0

so my user opponent and I have combined for fewer than 1 punt per game.

19. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I wonder why that is? I don't go for it on 4th down a lot, and I play defense so I force punts. The guys I play force me to punt as well. Some games more than others, but I punt it at least once a game.

20. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

How many possessions do we have per game, on average? 5 or 6? I guess it depends if we create turnovers or not but I'd bet the average user game each team has about 5 possessions...Jello, do you want to look into that?

21. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I lost to the CPU on these settings. I don't think a whole lot should be changed. Just my two.

22. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Despite me getting my ass kicked on these sliders, I am fine with the bump up in difficulty.

I am 11-13 in two seasons as Army, which would be a success IRL. To keep it in perspective, I am 0-6 in user games, so I am 11-7 vs the computer with the worst team on the game.

23. jello1717

In my user games this year I went for it on 4th down only twice and my opponents never went for it on forth. In my games, the problem is that my opponents can't stop my offense and I can't stop their offense.

24. jello1717

I haven't played on TT2's slider set, but as an endorsement for Basis' slider change, my TF OD (Southern Exposure) is switching to TT2's slider set right now too.

25. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I've hit this rock several times. It's almost like watching FSU...in real life.:D