Slider Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BDSDIGITAL, Feb 17, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Slider Discussion

Ok, I thought now might be a good time to bring up sliders for next season. I think we should look at a different configuration.

1. What does everyone else think?

2. Suggestions for a set?

If I was going to suggest a set I'd say the sliders from TF4/the deuce, but there might be other sets out there that accomplish the same thing.

I'm kinda against Heisman, I think it's lame.

I figured I'd just start running this up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes it.

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I do not like Heisman mode in this year's game. I'm confident I could still win every CPU game but it is simply not fun to play when CPU completes 80% of its passes.

Of the leagues I am in, the best sliders are probably OFFL West. I still win but can't put up numbers I do in this league. Of course I'm playing as Miami and not Florida so my team isn't quite as good. I have not reviewed sliders in other leagues and Rivalry is same as Coast to Coast I think.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'm fine with a change as long as we aren't moving to Heisman, as brave said, you can still win convincingly on Heisman but playing the CPU just isn't enjoyable at all.

After taking a look, the OFFL West sliders aren't significantly different than what we are using now, but they might make games vs the CPU slightly closer.

I still hold to the fact that changing the sliders aren't going to make the CPU games much closer down the road, as the talent difference between our A to A+ rated teams and the CPU conference opponents widens. In the Big 12, there is only one other team rated above a B outside of OU and Texas, and I expect that to get worse in the next two years with as bad as the CPU is at recruiting. I really think if you want CPU scores to be slightly more realistic, we should lower the quarter length, but I will go with the flow.

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I can see us bumpin the CPU defense up and leave the offense, making it harder for us to score soo much

5. Dru50

I think that the defensive play of the CPU isn't the only issue, and isn't even the biggest cause of blowouts. To me, it's more an issue that the CPU can't consistently move the ball or score against our teams. How many games that are played anymore does the CPU score over 20? I know it isn't many, and it seems from boxscores that most of us can routinely hold the CPU to 150-200 yards of total offense and around 10-15 first downs. This leads to our teams having far more offensive possessions than we would if the CPU was able to adjust to defensive tendencies.

For example - CPU scores this week:
    UF 49 UGA 0
    Utah 65 BYU 13
    Bama 52 Tenn 14
    Texas 70 TTU 21 (2 late scores came against the 3rd string defense)
    Miami 67 Ga Tech7
    OSU 41 Iowa 10
    ND 66 Navy 0

That's 7 CPU games, and 4 of them were vs top 25 teams. The CPU managed over 20 points in 1 game, and was held to 10 or less in 4 of them. And without knowing details, I'd be willing to wager that some of the CPU points are a result of INT's. I don't care how good you make the CPU defense, if the CPU can't score the games will never be close.

Again, just my opinion. I honestly don't have an issue with CPU blowouts, because I think any change to sliders might make games closer for a few weeks until we all adjust and then the blowouts will return. The CPU isn't programmed well enough to adjust to what is happening on the field, as can be seen when spread option teams are calling runs on 3rd and 10 when they are down by 20 points or the CPU calling all out 4-3 blitzes against 4 and 5 wide sets.

6. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

My deal is I have yards put against me but I'm getting turnover when the team is in the red zone. Also something I mentioned one night when some of us were in a party would be stricter recruiting so the talent is spread out. I'm gonna try out Oneback's sliders with this OD offline so I'll know how it goes. That may be an option we could try. Would anyone who isn't hosting an OD be willing to try them out tonight. I think brave is really the only one.

7. BDSDIGITAL

Iowa's only td in my game came from a pick 6.

Moving the quarters down to 5 or 6 minutes is only going to make the scores 40-3 vs. 51-10...it doesn't help the root issue and that is the competitive balance. Maybe we should go back and look at how the cpu has recruited in the last few seasons. Maybe we are just eating up too many of the stud players....Changing the sliders doesn't necessarily change the competitive balance long term either I guess. Just short term. We'll all adjust like you said and the beatdowns will be back on.

edit: I don't host a dynasty, I could get one set up if you guys want.

8. Dru50

I'm going to save C2C offline and try these sliders out against my next CPU opponent to see how they work. I'll post in here with some results/stats/feedback.

9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I would volunteer my assistance, but not sure how much time I will be online tonight. I work till 8 PM and don't plan on being on Xbox very much this evening.

As for Troy's comments, I agree that talent balance may be contibuting factor. We have 12 teams and usually 38-40 5-star players are going to end up on user teams. Most classes only have 40-50 5 star players in total. Of course I whipped LSU (A overall) and Georgia (A- Overall) so talent is not the only cause.

As for Dru's earlier comment, I score at least one defensive TD per game against CPU. Plus I routinely get 3 and outs and I usually win TOP by at least 2:1 margin. Kicking is also a problem for CPU teams, especially punting. I have seen way too many under 20 yard punts by the CPU, they shank it out of bounds.

10. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I really would like to watch some of you guys play the computer. As I think I have proven with 3 close games with Knigh, 1 and 1 vs. Dru and some other close losses and good wins, I can hang with any of you guys, but it is amazing to me that a good win for me vs. the CPU is 40 - 14 and you guys have to hold up to stay at 70 - 0. I play vs. the CPU the same way I would against any of you, realistic, running up the middle and outside, short passing and some bombs, mostly driving up and down the field and going at a realistic pace. I just don't see how you guys can score 55+ points routinely when you are playing like that. Please clue me in on what I am missing.

11. Dru50

Not everyone's offense is based on mostly running up the middle and short passes. My offense, for example, is based largely on running 4 and 5 wide sets for about 80-85% of snaps and threatening with throws down field in the 15-20 yard range. I usually call pass plays out of the huddle and audible to a run if the formation is in my favor. Once the game is out of hand, I will tend to run more often in the 2nd half regardless of the defensive formation. Against the CPU it's more effective than against human opponents, since the CPU insists on blitzing constantly and trying to defend those sets with base defensive personnel. That doesn't mean I'm going to run the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense just because the CPU is overly aggressive with bad personnel.

12. Papa Perry

A lot of my runs are up the middle and I don't think there is a route I won't throw to. A lot of my scores come from me rushing the play. Usually I rush my guys to the line and I'm ready for the play to start as soon as we get the line.

13. Papa Perry

If we go with more strict recruiting, here's an idea I have:

- Everyone is limited to a max of 3 five star recruits excluding the top 3 overall recruits who will not count towards your limit. (So you could actually have a max of 5 five stars if you get the top 3 guys)

- Your number of four star recruits allowed is equal to half of your leaving seniors. (If you have an odd number of seniors leaving you can round up. EX. 17 leaving = 9 four stars)

- Here's the kicker: Your 3 allotted five stars count towards your allotted 4 stars (EX. Your allotted 10 four stars but if you sign 2 five stars you can only sign 8 four stars.)

- You can't offer a scholarship unless you are within the recruits top 10, 8, 5, or 3. Whichever one he is down to.

These stricter rules would help spread the talent in the game.

14. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I am looking into the Basis4aDay56 and the OFFL sliders...

15. Dru50

Those are the same sliders we use currently in the trifecta, if that helps from a point of reference.

16. Papa Perry

What did we ever decide on this stuff? Are we gonna change up recruiting restrictions and/or the sliders?

17. Dru50

Why don't you not worry about sliders and worry about the HOF class you owe Noles?

:p

Just kidding, figured I'd beat Noles to the punch.

I don't think we ever came to any conclusion on sliders, but looking around at other OD's on the site, for the most part the CPU games all seem to be blowout city once you are past year 2 or 3. That would tell me that changing sliders won't matter a great deal. I think the sliders we have would be fine to keep personally, as you can still have the occassional tough game (see my bowl game).

18. Papa Perry

Hey smartass I have the HOF class done I just haven't sent it yet.

19. BDSDIGITAL

Maybe you should concern yourself with sending it, rather than taking the time to tell everyone you haven't done it yet..... :p