Slider Experiment

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Slider Experiment

Current Settings

Sliders & Settings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Difficulty: Varsity
    Quarters: 8 mins
    Threshold: 30

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 5 55
    Pass Block 55 55
    WR Catching 35 45
    RB Ability 45 45
    Run Blocking 45 45
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 35 55
    Pass Rush 100 100
    Interceptions 80 80
    Rush Defense 20 100
    Tackling 5 55
    Special Teams HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    FG Power 5 5
    FG Accuracy 20 45
    P Power 20 55
    P Accuracy 55 70
    Kickoff Power 25 45

Possible New Settings

Sliders & Settings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Threshold: 25 (-5)

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 10 (+5) 50 (-5)
    Pass Block 55 50 (-5)
    WR Catching 40 (+5) 45
    RB Ability 45 50 (+5)
    Run Blocking 30 (-15) 60 (+15)
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 35 (+5) 55
    Pass Rush 100 100
    Interceptions 80 80
    Rush Defense 20 100
    Tackling 15 (+10) 55
    FG Power 5 5
    FG Accuracy 25 (+5) 45
    P Power 20 55
    P Accuracy 55 70
    Kickoff Power 25 45

If someone with some time to kill wouldn't mind trying these, it would be helpful. I just finished a home game as Nebraska vs. Ok. State. I won 38-14, but I managed to get three fumbles, one of which I scored on, and the offensive yards were very close. Ok St. moved the ball, and while I made some big plays, I got blown up for losses quite a few times, and got stuffed quite a few times, yet the D stayed blocked long enough for me to ruins draws and stuff, so it wasn't unreal or anything. Sometimes the d-linemen just blew the play up. I only broke one big one, and managed a few 10-12 yard runs. The rest were 3-6, or a loss.

The only really lopsided stat was T.O.P., which makes sense given the pass happy offense I played. I'd like to see what a power run team does on these settings. Could someone take a B+ or A- team and play, say Pittsburgh? I'll try it when I get home, but it'll be later.

These are not the exact adjustments we have been talking about, but after reading up on this set, these seem to work well in conjunction with each other. Anyway, lemme know your thoughts when you get a chance.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Why are we turning up the RB ability and Run Blocking? It already is an issue with broken tackles. And minus 15 for blocking ability seems too big of a movement, what is wrong with 10?

3. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

its an experiment bud. and please, please, please, let's not start getting squirrely over sliders. this game and dynasty is fun regardless. we are CRUSHING opponents and the offensive yds are out of hand. archie just doing his best to experiment. so until you have experimented, lets hold off on judgment. thx for the work arch. gonna go play va tech pitt right now i think. let ya know.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

My games have shown me that we get to the spot just fine, but get run over too much. I'm hoping to create a way that creates more holes, but in which our guys make more plays. I'd rather work back from a tough place than not go far enough and settle for something too easy.

We're just testing.

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Gonna give these sliders a whirl later this a.m. On paper, the tweaks look nice. I'll play against a top SEC defense.

6. vatechhokie01

Just one game, but I did love them. Had a great one.

VT - 31
    Pitt - 17

Total Offense
    VT - 436
    Pitt - 388

Passing
    Taylor (VT)
    11-21, 179yds, 1TD, 1INT

Sunseri (Pitt)
    19-28, 294yds, 1TD, 0INT

Rushing
    Williams (VT)
    21att, 119yds, 1TD, 5.6avg, 17yd long, 1 BTKs

Evans (VT)
    14att, 121yds, 1TD, 8.6avg, 78yd long, 0 BTKs

Lewis (Pitt)
    22att, 99yds, 0TD, 4.5avg, 8 BTKs

Penalties
    VT
    3 - 25yd

Pitt
    8 - 75yds

VT - 21:41
    Pitt - 17:05

Pretty good stuff in my opinion. The good:
    -The running did feel more realistic. Mostly 3-6yd carries, but to be sure, draws, counters, options, and stretches all worked fine with plenty of time (some of the time of course) to make the play. loved my running game
    -The TOP and overall flow of game was indeed definitely more realistic as the reason the game stayed lower scoring was simply because the clock ran more due to fewer huge plays

The Bad:
    -TEs and WRs are painfully annoying...a dead horse we are beating. They broke a bajillion tackles.
    -Although Dion Lewis broke 8 tackles, he felt easier to stop than the WR and TEs. This was of course due to gang tackling and 2nd/3rd level tackles, but it felt just fine. Not sure Lewis is the best indicator of power tackle-breaker though.
    -The problem with WR and TE is when the CPU runs 4 wide, and you have 1-on-1, it is near impossiblet to make the tackle...just silly. But again, I'd rather the offense be able to put up some numbers than not.
    -The only adjustment I made was turning holding down 5pts. There was still a few but of the 8 penalties on the CPU, there was 2 facemasks and 3 false starts I believe, so not too bad.

Liked em.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I definitely want to turn down the holding slider to 50. At 55, there's just too many.

I was hoping that a small downgrade in the CPU passing, and a small uptick in our coverage might get the CPU passing numbers down (Ok State went over 300 on me), but it looks like the CPU is still getting pretty big numbers, even in a pro style offense that doesn't go deep often. 298 with Pitt is perhaps a bit much, if it happens consistently, at least. The problem is, if these guys break fewer tackles, so does the running back, and we end up closing down the running game too easily. I think perhaps the best way to attack the broken tackles issue is by stopping receiver from getting the ball. Better coverage (and maybe a drop in INT slider for more knockdowns without a huge uptick in turnovers) but a real sense of "oh shit" when a guy gets the ball in space. I mean, when a good receiver gets a one on one in space, he's supposed to make a guy miss. Now, if I can just find a way that keeps him from making nine guys miss ...

I'm really liking this set, but I think we can do a touch better. I'm going to keep labbing. If we get a few more games in on these, I'd like to see the results. If we got a 17-10 win over a tough D, or a realistic 45-10 blowout over a mid-major (instead of scores getting way up there), I'd be on cloud nine.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Hey man, I was only asking a question I was not getting upset, I only offered a suggestion. Everything I have ever learned about experimenting in life shows you do not go to an extreme on the first change. I wanted to know something and Archie answered it for me. So kindly understand that so next time I post I am not misunderstood. The last thing I want is for someone to get upset over a comment on the message boards.

9. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Just played these sliders...Loved them. Beat UF in Morgantown 24-20. I scored a td in the last second from the 1.

I returned a kick for a td and they returned a good old option int. for a td. So offensively it was a 17-13 game.

I controlled the clock most of the game...by design on my part. So TOP was skewed.

Stats:

First downs: 11 for them, 17 for me
    Offense: 312 them, 284 me
    rushes: 22-106 yds them, 38-130 yds me
    Passing yards: 206, 154

very even game. good feel, a lot of fun.

The CPU still broke a ton of tackles. One of their tds came on a long pass in which one player broke 4 tackles. I would consider bumping that a touch more than just 5.

10. vatechhokie01

carolina...absolutely no worries. just having a discussion as well. been on too many message boards where guys get crazy and dramatic and lose sight of fun. probably overreacted. forgive.

11. vatechhokie01

archie, with regards to the CPU running game, can we not just up cpu run ability/blocking and upgrade our tackling as well? i'm no slider guru but this seems practical maybe?

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We can, but the running back ability, if I understand it correctly, also controls the receivers after the catch. Up it, and we up the broken tackles in space also. I think run block is the slider to tweak. We find the right balance between tackling and RBA, and then we use the run block to open up holes for the CPU run game.

That's my theory, at least. Try your own tweaks and see what you get. I'm all about suggestions.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This is encouraging. I think I might try a five point bum in tackling and cpu run block - close the geap between tackling and rba, but open up a few more opportunities for running at the same time. I'll let you guys know what I get.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK, so I bumped the run block five, and our tackling five, and played Penn State vs. Wisconsin and mighty John Clay.

Clay rumbled, stumbled, and bumbled right through my D for the first score of the game, and had some good runs, but got dinged later and sat out. He went 12 times for 72 yards and a score before leaving. Monte Ball's day was not so good, but by the time he was in, I was running away with it.

I won 38-14, with a couple of reasons why. I didn't turn the ball over. I controlled the clock. I got three turnovers - a pick and two fumbles. Both fumbles were taken back for scores. It was a solid 24-14 win, and could have gone the other way if I coughed it up once or twice.

Royster ran 20 times for 98 yards, and my qb kept it short and high percentage.

I think the cpu run game was not as good as it should have been. It was OK, but Wisconsin should be a monster running the ball, and they were average. I'm gonna up the run block another five, and run it back. If my B+ defense shuts down the A running game completely two times in a row, then we might have to live with the lower tackling number in order to generate realistic yards.

There were no silly broken tackles in this one, save one instance in which a TE broke three and got a first down. I don't think it's an issue if it happens - I think it's an issue if it happens multiple times in a game. A couple I can live with. Seven or eight changes the game altogether.

More later.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Hey man no problem, I only want us to have a good balanced experience. I don't want to lose a game because the slot receiver is a 175 tackle shedding machine, and my offensive line is on the crisis hotline all night after the game because they got raped by the dlineman. We will get a good set of sliders.

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

A player breaking free once or twice a game like that is realistic, and a te will do that on occasion. If you can work that out I think we may have a set to work with.

BTW when are we going to advance? I saw almost everyone was finished this morning when I logged on.

17. vatechhokie01

^^what he asked

18. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Is Southern Cal still having PSN issues? That's the last to play.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm going to post a new set of sliders in just a few. I'll just adjust the set in the first post. I've had two really good games so far. I'm up 20-6 over Wisconsin at the half right now, but I stopped him cold inside the five twice, so it could be closer. Royster busted a 75 yarder for a TD in this one, so it looks like the big play is there, but just not nearly as often.

I upped the run block again, and put our tackle sliders at 15. Clay spun out of a three man gang tackle (and was tackled immediately after, but it was hella cool) and other guy broke one here and there, but there were no "unstoppable" guys. It's actually been pretty real. I went 4-4 to stop Clay, and Wisconsin tested the single coverage on the outside. Clay has ten carries and 59 yards at the half.

I think this might be the set. Try'em out and let me know what you think. Stats so far are right there, and you get punished for your mistakes. I'm diggin' em, but I want to know what you guys think.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Possible New Settings

Sliders & Settings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Threshold: 25 (-5)

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 10 (+5) 50 (-5)
    Pass Block 55 50 (-5)
    WR Catching 40 (+5) 45
    RB Ability 45 50 (+5)
    Run Blocking 30 (-15) 60 (+15)
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 35 (+5) 55
    Pass Rush 100 100
    Interceptions 80 80
    Rush Defense 20 100
    Tackling 15 (+10) 55
    FG Power 5 5
    FG Accuracy 25 (+5) 45
    P Power 20 55
    P Accuracy 55 70
    Kickoff Power 25 45

Here's my latest test set. I adjusted them in the first post also. Having great games so far. Let me know what your experiences are like.

21. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I am not sure...I hope we can advance tonight...this dynasty is getting addicting.

22. vatechhokie01

^^^yes! do NOT want to kill the enthusiasm held by the majority.

23. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

lazy slacker west coast types i am sure :)

24. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Just beat LSU in Baton Rouge with Washington 37-21.

LSU scored their points in the first quarter and a half. One TD was off of a fumble return after a kickoff.

I racked 353 yards (187 in the air). I felt I could move the ball at will with Jake Locker running my show. I kicked 5 field goals in the game. Spent alot of time in LSU territory. That's because LSU turned over the ball five times.

LSU ran the ball well and consistently. They never broke off a big run though. Long was 14 yards. Richard Murphy ran for 105 on 22 attempts. He broke 5 tackles, with four of those on the first drive. I am noticing that for me, a majority of broken tackles occur early in games. I have started tracking it quarter by quarter and it is starting to stand out for me. As the game progresses and backs get tired, they don't run through as many tackles.

Jake Locker is REALLY good by the way.

this was a weird game for me. I typically never get that many turnovers. Probably not a good game to measure much from.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've noticed that whatever the settings, the CPU seems tougher right out of the gate. This has held true with these settings as well, but it could just be me seeing what I want to see.

I also noticed this: In two games, I got multiple sacks while playing a base D in the final minute and a half of the game. It's like he sits on the play and waits for guys to get way down field, and just gets crunched by my D-Linemen. I had three in one game, and two in the next - on the final CPU drive.

How was passing? Have we been able to gash the D at will?

Basically, if it is sufficiently hard for us to score, we'll get scores in line and have a good time. I think this set is pretty close.