Slider Impressions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 29, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

How's it going so far? U guys feel OK about the off season changes?

2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Without getting too deep about it, no concerns for me.

3. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

no issues

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Are the sliders in the league description the latest and greatest?

5. The Dude

No. Haven't updated yet. The Film Room has them.

QB Accuracy 50 40
    Pass Block 75 45
    WR Catching 50 50
    RB Ability 50 55
    Run Block 50 55
    Pass Coverage 55 30
    Pass Rush 65 15
    Iinterceptions 50 25
    Rush Defense 50 45
    Tackling 50 50
    FG Power 50 50
    FG Accuracy 30 40
    Punt Power 50 50
    Punt Accuracy 50 50

6. The Dude

• We run all the time. We pass very little, or at least it seems so. Heisman candidates are all running backs, and some of us (myself included) have gone to a platoon system at HB, mostly to mask the huge yards we're racking up. I think this is controlled by the gap between our run block and their run defense - the bigger the gap, the bigger the advantage. Now, I've tried to close that gap from a +20 in our favor, to a +5, and I have also given a +5 to the CPU, along with a +5 in RB ability over our tackling - this combination should lead to a more robust CPU run game. At least that's the theory.
    • Also, I have bumped the QB acc for users, since even a dumbed down CPU pass D can make plays. I added a +5 to WR catch (so there shoudl be more cool animations and such - one handed catches and all that - and I bumped the User Pass Block and dropped the CPU pass rush, just to open up the occasional downfield in route, fade, comeback, etc., which we don't often get the time to throw right now. I figured that, if the passing numbers skyrocket (and I doubt they will - we're old dogs with habits by now - then we can always bump the pass d in five point increments until we get what we want.
    This was my original argument for the new settings. I basically bumped the CPU run, and bumped our Pass Block and QB accuracy to encourage passing, and tightened up their run defense a bit (which should also make for tougher return yards as well).
    What I've found so far is that the run game is a bit tougher, but not terribly so. I still broke a few. So did they. The CPU ran for over 100 on me, and I had the #1 run D last year. I bet the tougher teams will chew up some clock on us and force us to gamble a bit. I think we may have to look at a slight bump in CPU pass coverage at some point, but maybe a bump in the speed threshold might be the best way to go first.
    Felt pretty good, but I've been playing these for a while. If you guys have concerns, let me know, but my guess is there will be teams we simply can't stop on the ground - kind of like us every week against the CPU.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I haven't gotten a chance to play a game against the CPU yet :)) yes another season of starting with a user game makes me smile and think of puppies), but I did test these sliders in a full season in my house dynasty. I found them to be relatively reasonable, and somewhat challenging. I lost a cpu game due to sloppy tackling. The only thing that concerns me about them is when a CPU qb ranked in the low 80s goes all Tom Brady on you with this run game you are basically screwed. Not saying it shouldn't happen, and it needs changed, it just kinda pisses with you that is all. If it means we can play a full 4 quarters of football against BCS conference foes I will gladly take it.

8. The Dude

The Qb play can be frustrating at times. Seems like a Heisman Qb simply makes throws that shouldn't be made sometimes, especially in crunch time. When the CPU goes all the way downfield with 30 seconds left in a half, I want to break things.

Not quite sure if there's any way to address that, though. But we've been 99% of the top defenses over the past few seasons, so the CPU needs a bump. Let's just hope is isn't too big a bump.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I don't disagree with you at all Dude. We need to know up front we are going to take a few hits this year. I doubt we see all users get through unscathed by the CPU this year, and that is a good thing!

10. The Dude

And the new recruiting settings are making things tough on that end as well. I think things got tougher all around.

11. The Dude

Updated the League Description.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Also...I know this is a bit late now and I do not expect it to be changed this season, but I strongly disagree with allowing us to sign 4 five star recruits. We have some pretty strong CPU teams because of the very HARD limits we set on 5 stars early on in this dynasty. I would like to see that continue. If you do your homework and bring in a good crop of 4 stars you can build a darn good team (anyone see my USC team the past two years? I signed 3 five stars over that period, but I brought in players who fit my system and let the program improve them). I can live with a long term 5 star expansion, but I would feel better if it was cut back to 2 or 1.

13. The Dude

I kind of agree with this, but I think the limits will be put on us more by the CPU than by our own caps. I might be able to sign four fives, but I'd lose the rest of my class, and still maybe only sign two. I think the guys chasing big recruits will find themselves with small classes, but that's just my initial impression.

But I think a lower cap might do well for us, if we need it. For example, I'm a recruiting monster (six star, good pitches, 8 pipeline states) and I lead for two fives right now. I might get them both, but going for a third is a reach, and it's a reach with time I don't have to spend. Heisman may just be its own cap. Anyone else out there tearing it up?

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I need to look and see what I am doing this week with the recruits to be honest with you, but I was leading on about 10 four star recruits. I figure the CPU is going to take about 3-4 of them, so I figure a 6 man class with some 3 stars who fit the body type will round out my class.

But let's take this year and see what happens on Heisman and then make any adjustments that might need made. I like seeing an Auburn team ranked A+ across the board, Florida is developing the same way so I want that to continue.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm leading on 6 :4stars:and just took the lead on 1 :5stars:... Some other :5stars:'s show interest, but only one do I really want and I'm 8th on the list...

I mean, I think if you're going after needs instead of chasing the stars, you've kind of managed yourself under the cap anyhow. I'm used to the caps and what not, but whatever you all want to do is fine.

16. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I was able to get a :5stars: HB and a :4stars: QB tp instant commit in week 1, other than that I am pretty much going after needs. I am really focusing on O-Line and LBs. That RB and QB were just lucky gets..... I am really looking more towards :4stars: guys to be honest

17. Goose

Goose Walk On

What in the hell happened to my week 1 recruiting?????????????? I instant signed 1 5 star and 2 4 stars and I look now and I've got nobody signed. and I've fallen on all guys and I have no schollarships handed out. I recruited on the system not the website. This is really going to fuck shit up for me.

The Dude

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

:eek:

19. The Dude

I have no idea what you're talking about. Anyone ever seen this kind of thing before?

It's the kind of thing we should really make sure we fix, one way or another. Thoughts?

20. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Did you save the file to where we'll all go back a week?

21. The Dude

I saved at the beginning of week 2. And if we went back to week one, a user game would need to be replayed. Let's see if there's a way we can make things right going forward.

I for one made a number of decisions based on guys I thought OSU wasn't going after - if I was wrong, and it's just a glitch, then my board gets all effed up, too. I must be dueling it out with OSU on at least a half dozen recruits. If all of those are now races, I can't spend the time, and I'll have to back off at least a few, not to mention losing that time for week two, which I already spent.

I'm all about getting creative here. Goose doesn't deserve to get hosed just because he used EA's site. Let's try to figure something out.

22. Goose

Goose Walk On

The real crappy thing is I used the console not the site. I have no idea how it happened.

23. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm open for whatever... We could try to see if the instant commits stay even this week????

24. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Not to be an ass here, but it appears that on Heisman recruiting the CPU cheats as bad as it does on Heisman gameplay. lol

• Like Like x 1
  25. The Dude

I know all 10 were green, so the system registered the time used. I wouldn't have advanced otherwise. Let me do some research and see if I can find some discussion board stuff about this. I'll let you know what I find.

One way or another, we'll make it right. Heisman is too hard to lose a week.