Slider Strategy

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Slider Strategy

OK, as much as I hate to help you nancies, here's a few things you might be able to use:

1 - Aggression - It can be good, but it can kill you also. You basically have to unlearn what the game has taught you in the past. You can't go long on every play. You can't run whatever play you called every time you call it. See, read, check. Also, wait a few ticks once you get to the line. The CPU doesn't always move right away. Many times, guys give away the coverage, but only after you have looked them over a bit. If you're a quick-snapper, you're going to get fooled a few times a game.

2 - Strategy Settings - Use them. If you're outmatched personnel-wise, set your D to forget about big hits and picks, and concentrate on tackles. Keep the bad guys in front of you. If you're behind but within reach, go for the big play. If you're not changing these as the game plays out, you're going to have trouble. The CPU is using them to strip balls when they're down, so you better know when to set running to conservative, or you'll turn it over at the worst times. There was a mention of a 4th and 23 given up by a user in week one. My question is - did you set the zone coverage to loose? Also, why not play man with 2 deep safeties, back off the coverage before the snap, let the CPU get 7 or 8 yards underneath, and make the tackle? Why leave the big gaps that Cover 3 leaves? Cover 3 leave the backers close to the LOS, guarding the flats. Who needs to cover the flats on 4th and 23? Also, with tackling set to conservative, even if the guy makes a catch, he more than likely doesn't get the yards he needs.

3 - Take what the D gives you - No one make 3rd and fifteen very often. You're not going to make 3rd and fifteen very often. Run a draw, run a screen, but don't gamble by throwing into the teeth of a cover 4. It might have worked in the past, but it ain't gonna work anymore. Also, check down to crossing routes, especially to slot receivers. They get jammed the least, and it might be a good idea to put your best WR in the slot on a couple of formations, so he can catch these passes and maybe make a play or two.

4 - Call a run to pass, and call a pass to run - It seems like the CPU knows our play calls way too often. They just seem to be in the right place all the time, especially if they're down late. So, this is something we can use. Want them to drop into zone so you can run a draw? Try calling a deep pass, and checking into a run. It's not nearly an exact science, but it works sometimes.

Feel free to add to my list. The CPU is a bad mofo this year, and I have no problem with guys strategizing ways to get things done. It ain't exactly easy out there.

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

AG, call me crazy, but for some reason I thought that "game planning" wasn't allowed in these leagues. I'm not sure where I read it, or if I merely imagined it, but because of that belief, I haven't touched it. Hell, I assumed it was disabled. This changes everything.

I typically use Cover 3 as one of my "keep everything in front of me" shell coverages. I had been burned by a few post corner routes, so I wanted to force the QB down the middle and underneath. Didn't work, obviously.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's pretty much an understood thing that we don't use this stuff in user games ... but the CPU is one cheating SOB. I don't have any issue tweaking this and that in order to beat the CPU. He's doing it. You might as well counter him.

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Gotchya.