Slider Test - Spread Offense

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Slider Test - Spread Offense

Only one game in so far.

I replayed the UGA @ MSU game, just to see if I could run the ball. I called all different kinds of shotgun run plays, with different levels of success. I had the best success out of the wildcat spread. I ran the motion option pass a few times, keeping one and pitching a few, but I got good results every time.

Where I got stuffed was when I relied on a guy to make a block. I couldn't run inside, at least not against four man fronts. My O-line got abused. Now, it's a B- offense vs. an A- defense, and one of UGA's studs is a d-lineman, so I wouldn't see inside runs as a big part of MSU's game plan in this one, but it was pretty brutal at times.

In the end, I managed to do well, but not all of my run plays were real options. I ran 17 times for 101 yards (5.9) with Robert Elliott (82 OVR), but Relf the QB only ran for about 2 yards a carry. Actually, I think I overproduced a bit with these guys.

I think the key is to check in and out of plays. The CPU always seems to line up perfectly, so many times, snapping the ball without moving something around would result in a jumped snap and a loss.

Basically, I think we can run out of the spread, but it ain't gonna be easy. I'd consider a slight adjustment, but I'm not seeing the need for a significant change.

Granted, this was a single game, but I did manage to get a hundred yard rusher on a pretty sweet defense - and I did it with players mostly in the seventies and low eighties.

Anyway, if anyone wants to make suggestions, I'm all ears.

2. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

btw...how the freakin hard are field goals?! lol. those things make me nervous...actually love the difficulty but man do you have to be fine with the stick.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm going to run this test again with the new proposed slider set. It's also being tested by some TF vets (I posted it in the coach's lounge). I'll use your teams and playbooks if you like. I'll let you know what I come up with.

I really want to give everyone a slider set that allows them to play like the real teams do, but this is hard, since running out of the shotgun has always been harder than running under center, even before any slider changes were made.

I'll play a few games and post my impressions.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't know what you spread offense nancy-boys are talking about. I just run all over a better team with the new sliders I'm testing. There's been no change in rushing for us, so running should be just like it is now.

Here's some stats for your ass:

I played Auburn at home vs. Oregon. I won 31-13, and both of Oregon's TD's were defensive. I'm not liking the bump in tackling. LeMichael James should get free at least once or twice.

Rushing Numbers (B Off vs. B+ Def.)

38 attempts, 253 yards, 4 TD

#1 HB - 18 for 102, 1 TD (I lost yards on three consecutive plays while killing clock at the end)
    #1 QB - 10 for 136, 2 TD

Now, the read option is a tough play to run if they're bringing an extra guy, but I was able to run in the right situations. Draws and runs in the middle are low reward plays, but read the D right, and you can get around the corner. The CPU, like any defense, can and will take things away. They took away the run quite a bit, but left guys noticeably uncovered, which is why I went 13 for 15 passing, though for only 163 yards and a pick. Screens were open when they brought the blitz, and any time I saw the slot man covered by the deep safety, I hit him and took my six yards or so.

Anyway, those running spread offenses can, in my opinion, run the ball consistently. You just can't run every play you call. many times, I called one play, and had to change to another. I got hit in the backfield a number of times, but I also hit big plays. I'm going to upload the vids so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On