Slider Testing

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Korenth, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Slider Testing

So the general feeling seems to be we need some sort of slider adjustment. SN's has been tossed out as a decent set, as well as some others. So i'd like to propose some testing be done.

My plan: I run a pro style offense (generally) and plan to do 2 or 3 games in each of these three cases:
    Low-Rated team vs Low rated team
    High Rated vs High Rated
    Low Rated vs. high Rated (user controls low rated team)
    High Rated vs. low Rated (user controls high rated team)

What I'll likely do is start an Offline Dynaty where I control 3 or 4 teams, set up the sliders..and the play weeks that match what I need. A lot easier than setting the sliders for each 'Play Now' game...I'll just have to make sure injuries do skew things.

If some other guys would do the same with other offensive styles (Spread, Option, SingleBack, No Huddle) That would give us 8-12 games of each case and 32-48 games total. We can post stats and general feelings, which should give us a fairly good under standing of the sliders and if we think they would work well for us.

My gut feeling is that in games involving High rated teams vs low rated teams, the lower rated teams will ge pounded...which is probalby what should happen. High vs High Should be good games where gameplaning and strategy makes a bigger difference. I'm unsure about the low vs low games...I could see it being 12-7 because neither offense can move the ball since QB Acc takes such a hit and people are already having trouble with QBs making decent passes.

Anyways, anyone interested in helping test?

2. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Just Realized, if anyone outside the dynasty Really likes testing sliders and is bored/waiting for their own dynasty to advance, they're more than welcome to help out. You'll get free internet brownies!

3. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Still havn't managed to complete a game between Miami (OH) and Florida where neither of the starting QBs get hurt at somepoint in the first half. So starts aren't realy coming out realistic...general thoughts so far though...

Running game: If you're O-line is rated lower than the D-line, forget trying to run the ball up the middle. nearly 3 full games worth of plays and my total yards up the middle with Miaim (OH) is around -20. That said, Outside running is still OP, and I'm getting about 80 yards or so on outside runs/toss plays, with around a 4-6 yards per carry average.

Passing Game: Time in the pocket feels right...which means its short when playing a a lesser team. PA doesn't work for the same reason running up the middle doesn't work...someone breaks thorugh the line untouched everytime as a T fails to get a good block. Long pass plays are tough since theres little time to set up.

Defense: Still needs some adjusting I think... Miami has held Florida under 20 through 3 quarters points in all three attempted games. Miami may not be able to score much...but they're shuting down the Florida Passing game. Running D is interesting..somoetimes you get decent line play...other times, a HB will break 8 tackles and run for a touchdown. No joke...1st play of a game, Flordia HB ran up the middle, broke three tackles, cut to the right, broke 4 more tackles to get towards the sideline, then broke a diving tackle as he crossed the goal line. Went to the stats and sure enough...8 broken tackles recorded. I had a nice little rant about that...how in the world does one guy beat 3/4 of a defense singlehandly...

Speed threashold is fine..slower guys don't catch the faster guys.
    Penlties still seem far and few..i can still set my D-line to jump the snap and not have to worry about offsides. Setting 'go for the fumble' does produce more facemask calls.

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I tried a couple games with those about a week ago.

The broken tackles were frustrating. I played as Wisconsin (I think) against Oregon State. Their first play from scrimmage, their running back broken ~5 tackles on an inside run then took it to the house.

Their next play from the line of scrimmage, they threw a 10 yard in to his brother, who broke 3 tackles and took it to the house.

Running the ball up the middle was impossible, even with the best offensive line in the game.

5. Velocity3107

Velocity3107 Walk On

I have been using Canes21's All American Sliders for the first two seasons of my dynasty, and I love the results. I have had to tweak some things to better suit my strengths/weaknesses, but overall I'm very happy and the stats come out realistic. My modifications are included below.

I play as Miami. I've had great low scoring defense games (14-10 vs. Ohio State), crazy offensive games (48-44 vs. UNC). I've held QB's to 5-15 with 3 INT and been torched for 400+ yds and 4 TD. There is a lot of the realistic variation. I've given up 100 yard rushers, and held the opponent to 2.5 YPC.

All American
    8 Minute Quarters
    Slow Game Speed
    40 Speed Threshold

Hum-Cpu

QB Accuracy............30-35
    Pass Blocking...........40-40
    WR Catching............55-60
    RB Ability.................55-65
    Run Blocking.............40-70
    Pass Coverage..........40-40
    Pass Rush.............. ..55-55
    Interceptions............20-15
    Run Defense.............35-70
    Tackling...................60-60
    FG Power.................40-40
    FG Accuracy.............15-60
    Punt Power...............45-45
    Punt Accuracy...........15-60
    Kickoff Power.............45-45

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

slow game speed is pretty ick to me. :(

7. sreese

sreese Walk On

Ok guys i have a dynasty with a few old friends and i implemented the sliders korenth was talking about using. Im uk and got beat by auburn 35-0. Grant it au dline is a beast and uk's oline sucks but it was unreal. On defense i couldnt get any seperation from blockers and when i did get to the back he would break every tackle and this guy is a little man. I like some of the sliders but for this league i think all of these should be changed along with a few special teams sliders: qb acc(h+5),run block (h+10,cpu-10), pass coverage(h-5,cpu-10), rush d(h+5) and tackle should be default. Just my thoughts on adjusting these sliders to work for us.

8. shibdib

shibdib In Nacho We Trust

9. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Are the pluses/minus from whats posted above, or from the default of 50 for everything?

10. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

With sliders, everyone plays a bit differently and it seems to me like there's always a little disagreement, no matter what.

If you are looking for unanimous acceptance, I really doubt that's going to happen.

So, in my opinion, it makes the most sense to run with sliders that seem to work well with one of the established leagues already here. For example, the real men of genius group has a rise to prominence league kind of like ours.

Why not just jump over there, grab their sliders, and then it is over and done with. At least then we would have something other than the default set.

11. sreese

sreese Walk On

those are from the ones posted above. But i kinda agree with soda we should probably just jack someone elses sliders. Atleast some that have been used by leagues that are similar to ours.

12. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I think User Man coverage is too powerfull, and CPU qbs are not good enough.

I assume most slider sets will help solve this problem, so I am all for it.

I feel i would not have beaten FSU, Maryland, and Pitt if those had been different.

But I have yet to play with non-default AA- sliders

13. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

need an opinion from some people...what do you consider to be a good limit for FG kick distance for a good kicker?

I'm still testing out these sliders...and Alabama's K couldn't hit a 45 yarder because he couldn't hit it long enough, with the wind helping him. Seems like thats a bit short to me...then again, I'm probably spoiled by watching the Tenness Titans and Rob Bironas hit 60 yarders into the wind and clear them with a few feet to spare.

Yes I know NFL=/= NCAA...but I figure kicker leg strength can't change too much between them, right?

Should we aim for 50 yards being a good, but dificult, FG?

14. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

as far as i know, the college ball is easier to kick because its wider or something.

I would think something like:

99 full power from 65 yards

85 full power for 50 yards

i also think accuracy should be down a bit. since that is how most fgs are missed.

15. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

As to the sliders I am all for trying new things. I will note that at somepoint during the season things changed. Ohio State ripped my CBs apart (which FSU, maryland, and Pitt were unable to do). The DL beat my OL on every running play. I could not even get back to the line of scrimmage with FB dive. 3 players would hit the FB in the backfield. This may have been caused by the tunner pack that was released by EA.

(not to say the OSU should not destroy FIU, Just seemed like a different experience from the other BCS schools i played)

16. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

started an off line dynasty to try and do more slider testing with the new tunning packages we've gotten. Still using the Sn sliders, except I bumped up FG kicking to 40 for both user and CPU.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    SJSU vs Alabama
    7 Score 42
    4 First Downs 11
    13-(-12)-0 Rushes-Yards-TD 28-167-2
    6-13-1 Comp-Att-TD 8-11-4
    124 Pass Yards 147
    2-8 3rd Downs 4-6
    5-34.8 Punts-AVG 1-38
    8:22 TOP 13.38
    112 Total Yards 364

I played as Alabama. About what you would expect with the number 1 team takngon a team like SJSU. Alabama got up to an early lead, and then ran the ball fairly effectively. Neither team had too many broken tackles, SJSU had a TD called back for Offensive Pass interference (They actually can call that!). Play action could actually be used...in the OD, I havn't called a PA since week 1 since i never got to have my QB turn and look down field.

Miami (OH) vs Florida
    7 Score 55
    11 First Downs 9
    15-20-0 Rushes-Yards-TD 14-63-1
    15-31-1 Comp-Att-TD 16-18-6
    208 Pass Yards 366
    2-8 3rd Downs 4-6
    2-38.5 Punts-AVG 1-41
    418 Total Yards 483

I played as Miami in this one. Still got an outcome you would expect when pairing a powerhouse against a no-namer. Miami could not run the ball at all...the LT couldn't stop air...much less a talented DE. Most of the possitive yards came from QB scrambles. Stats are a bit wierd since 3 Miami drives stalled in that grey area where punting gets you nothing, buit you can't really kick a FG either. Also went for it on 4th and 1 as the 1st half expired...run got stuffed there, too. Florida broke severl tackles on long pass plays. One positive for thegame was that Miami got a ligit FG block.

Hoping to run more evenly matched games tommorow.

17. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

#16 PSU vs #1 Alabama
    21 Score 27
    16 First Downs 14
    360 Total Offense 378
    24-125-2 Rushes-Yards-TD 29-178-2
    20-24-1 Comp-Att-TD 15-20-1
    235 Pass Yards 199
    6-10 3rd Downs 4-9
    0-0 Punts-AVG 2-41.5
    13:01 TOP 15:08

A realy good game..Penn State kept the presure on all the way through the 4th quarter will some really good deep passing that my D refused to stop. Odd game where you never force a punt, but still end up winning. Granted, they wen't for it 2 on 4th down and had 2 turn overs...but still, no punts!

Eastern Michigan vs Miami (OH)
    13 Score 23
    11 First Downs 14
    263 Total Offense 250
    27-44-1 Rushes-Yards-TD 29-104-1
    14-27-1 Comp-Att-TD 10-20-1
    219 Pass Yards 146
    3-12 3rd Downs 8-12
    5-34.8 Punts-AVG 3.37.2
    17:01 TOP 14:148

Not that tight of a game until the 4th quarter...They kick their second FG, I gave up a fumble for a TD on the kcik off that made it 13-16 with about 2 min to go in stead of 3-16 or 6-16. Run off nearly the full 2:00 and finish with a TD to seal the deal.

In all, things seem to feel right. Vastly Beter teams are capable of tearing apart lower ranked teams, equally matched teams play good games that don't get out of hand. QBs on better teams generally show better passer ratings and Stud HBs break more tackles. The secondary tackling may be a bit weak, in that RBs can constantly break at least 2 tackles agaisnt CBs...the FS and SS fair a bit better, though.