Sliders and Gameplay

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Sliders and Gameplay

Hey,

I noticed the scores have reached the realm of reality. How are the new sliders playing. I for one have been able to pass a bit and even get the ball down the field a bit on the right circumstances. Feels about right to me. Purdue played bad, and I got my first official blowout of the year last week. I haven't seen any big issues - I'm not getting sacked too much, my running is within reason, and while the robo-QB makes some plays, he misses too.

Anyone see any issues we need to address?

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I played Purdue as tOSU in the West and had the same outcome.

As far as the E-League, I am getting my butt handed to me by better teams, as I should. I like the difficulty so far.

3. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I think these are dead on. North Carolina made key plays but my D was able to get to the guy. And I also had to run for my life as well. Nice job! :partynanas:

4. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Is anyone getting run on for 4.5+ ypc by the cpu? Joe McKnight had 25 carries for less than 70 yards in my game vs SC. Maybe just a one-game thing, but maybe we need to look at bumping up the CPU running game a bit.

Supposedly the next patch is going to de-link the run block sliders from kickoff, so we won't need to worry about that post patch.

How do you guys feel about the user running game? Too easy, hard, just right?

Passing game feels great to me on both sides.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

.....and yet you beat the #4ish team in the country be a very comfortable 24-0 margin.

Crappy ass Marshall had 3 YPC on the ground against me. Iowa had < 1YPC (but that included 6 sacks). In my 2 games so far, I haven't been terribly afraid of the CPU's running game and think it should be bumped up. On the other hand, maybe I just play good run defense (I'm #2 in the country in run defense) and crappy pass defense (I'm probably about #100+ in pass defense).

I'm kind of torn on the user running game. Against Iowa, I averaged 4.8 YPC and that included 8 sacks so on my actual runs it was much higher. Against a horrid Marshall defense, however, I averaged 4.3 YPC with no sacks. I had a tougher time running the ball against Marshall than I did against any other team except for the damned Irish.

6. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Iowa couldn't run on me either. I'd be up for an increase in CPU Running Back ability.

7. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I have Virginia today so I really dont have that great of an opponent to compare to. Although I probably lose by 20.

I must say that without Dwyer I am busting my ass to win games which is the way its suppose to be.

8. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I out clocked North Carolina, I killed the clock from play one. I stayed on the ground and passed to keep their D from homing in on my RB. And the way they played, not really sure they should have been as high as 4.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I'm for bumping the cpu run game. AMP has a great point about using the clock. If you an possess the ball the whole game, you win, simple as that.

10. jello1717

That is my point exactly. They played the way they did because of the sliders. I keep saying the same thing, over and over in different ways, but I don't seem to be getting through to anyone. My point is that a 4th ranked team should be a real challenge for us. Whether or not they are a challenge is dependent on 2 things (more or less):
    1. How good their team is.
    2. Our sliders

The fact that you can whip up on the #4 team and cause them to play in such a way as to make you think that you're "not really sure they should have been as high as a 4" says to me that the sliders are too easy. I could very, very, very easily whip up a slider set such that I could take some :1stars: TB team, give them a schedule made up of the top 12 teams in the country and absolutely destroy them every game.

We have whipped up a slider set that will allow teams like FSU to beat up on the #4 team in the country and that allows an unraked, B+ Michigan team to beat #3 Penn State who has dominated everyone all year. I haven't done this yet, but I bet that I do and, in my opinion, that points to the fact that our sliders are too easy.

And, once again, I'm really hoping that I'm wrong about that and that PSU beats up on my team, especially since I'm without my top QB and my top HB.

11. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I understand your point. And I'm not just brushing it off. But I played the best defensive game I've ever played, and if you will also notice, I only scored once per quater. Thats unheard of from my backs and receivers. North Carolina played me well all game. I just stopped them on 3rd and 1, snuffed out a fake punt and got to the qb to force him to throw before his receivers were open. However, with that being said I'm open to change as always.

12. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

17:08 seconds worth. Not to mention I fought my way off my own one twice. Make sure you keep that undefeated streak in tact. We will see you soon.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

First of all, I bet FSU is rated better than NC, regardless of the ranking. The #4 ranking does not somehow raise the ratings of the players on the team. I could be wrong on this, but I'm guessing FSU has the edge, or is even with the Tarheels.

Second, you need to beat Penn State. Hang 40 on them, if you can, and you might just make your case. Dat is a NCAA wunderkind, and beat USC by 10 in a mistake-free game for him.

It ain't perfect, but it ain't bad.

I think upping the CPU run might be a good idea. Upping their run defense might work, also. But I think we're close enough to say we're getting there. Let's not force an 0-12 week just so we can say we made it tough enough. Whaddaya say we do it in steps?

Or do I have to pull for the Nittany Lions, just so my league can be legitimate? ;)

AG

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Anyone who thinks these slider are easy should try playing as Army.:)

15. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Let's all give a big shout out to Shaun for choosing Army as his E-League team...Balls, my man...Balls.

16. jello1717

MAN! I just played my game against Penn State and it was absolutely brutal! My backup QB, Denard Robinson was sacked 5 freakin' times and had 4 freakin' turnovers (although 2 of them were because of my own stupidity, but that's neither here nor there). I'm pretty sure that I played worse than I have in any other game in either OD so far this year. I'm actually pretty embarrassed to post the vids I took of my bone headed plays.

OUCH!

17. jello1717

Oh yeah. And Royster put up 75 yards and a TD with 4.1 YPC. It's not the 4.5+ YPC Dat was looking for, but he had the best running game against me out of anyone else with these varsity sliders. His long was only 14 yards, so that 4.1 isn't that inflated.

18. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Just looked online, looks like you had a competitive game.

PSU is #3 and having a great year. But to keep things in perspective, PSU and Michigan are both B+ overall, despite the big difference in their rankings. A close win by Michigan isn't unrealistic based on the game ratings (because Michigan is so unbelievably overrated in the game, despite the fact that Michigan sucks. In football and in general. Hard.). Michigan sucks.

19. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

A bump in CPU RB ability might be a good first adjustment. I'd say to bump run blocking a little too, but until the patch it will affect kick returns.

Bruce, interested to hear about your game.

20. jello1717

My team was worse than a B+ because my starting QB and HB were out. I turned the ball over 4 times and played an extremely horrible game. Penn State absolutely could not stop me on offense. I was the only one that could stop my offense. If it weren't for my bone headed turnovers (wait until you see the highlight reel :D) the game wouldn't have been close at all.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

So, what I get from this is - sliders are too easy, you're going to kill Penn State, and that's unrealistic. Then, you don't kill Penn State, but it was because of some other reason, and the game is still unrealistic.

AND, you don't have any suggestions, only complaints.

Did I get that about right?

AG

- Next week, we use jello's sliders. It's all you, man. Write 'em up. No more of this ring and run stuff. You now have a dog in the race.

22. jello1717

Firstly, to my recollection, I never said that I would kill Penn State. If you can find my quote where I said that, I'll retract that statement.

Secondly, I've only said all along that I would beat Penn State (which, of course, I did), even though my team isn't as good and I should lose, but I wouldn't. (although I'm shocked to see that Bruce lost to Tennessee). On top of that, I specifically said:
    Thirdly, my PSU game proved my point better than anything could have possibly done it. As I said, I never said I'd kill Penn State. I specifically said that no matter how good of a game it is (which means how close the final score is) that I would win because the slider's difficulty level would ensure that I won. So what did I do? I played absolutely horrible and yet, I still won. I mentioned before how Michigan (who's not as good as PSU in the first place) should lose without Forcier and Minor. After the game now, I can say emphatically that Michigan, minus Forcier and Minor, should absolutely not be able to turn the ball over 4 freakin' times (to once for PSU) and beat a superior team in PSU. I should have to actually play a good game to beat a team like PSU. Am I the only one that feels like I should lose to PSU if I turn it over 4 times?

Fourthly, I've said several times that I liked our old AA sliders. Just in case I didn't come right out and say it (you say I haven't offered any solutions), that is my solution.

Fifthly, there's no need to try my sliders since it's pretty obvious that I'm the only one that doesn't like these sliders. In my opinion, the CPU pass rush is very unrealistically difficult, but in the end it doesn't matter because the varsity level will ensure that I win anyway.

Sixthly, if you really do want to try my sliders, here they are. For what it's worth, with these sliders Michigan lost to Indiana 21-35 and to PSU 17-29 (with all starters intact).

Level: AA
    7 min quarters
    USER/CPU
    OFFENSE:
    QBA - 15/14
    PB - 50/30
    WRC - 45/45
    RBA - 45/60
    RB - 45/55* This 55 setting requires supersimming of kickoffs to the CPU team

DEFENSE
    PC - 60/55
    PR - 75/50
    INT - 15/15
    RD - 5/55
    T - 45/50

ST
    FGP - 0/0
    FGA - 25/45
    PP - 50/50
    PA - 25/100
    KOP - 40*/45 With this number, Mesko can still get touchbacks, but not a ridiculous number. He has 11 TB in 54 KOs whereas in our OD, Mesko has 30 TBs on 49 KOs (the next closest guy is 12 TB on 45 KOs). This is probably just because my kicker's leg is so strong and I won't be getting so many TBs next year.

EDIT:
    I just reread AG's quote again. I'd appreciate it if you didn't put (false) words in my mouth. You said that I said I would kill PSU, which I've already stated that, to my recollection, I never said that. Then you said that I won "for some other reason." I actually won the game precisely for the reason that I said I would and that is my entire point. For some reason, I'm just not communicating clearly I guess because I don't seem to be getting through. I've said all along that I would win because the CPU's skill level will "cheat" to make sure that I win, just like the CPU's Heisman level will "cheat" to make sure that the CPU wins. My PSU game, in my opinion, is an awesome example of just that. I clearly didn't win that game because of how well I played. I won that game because it was already predetermined that I would win it, just like I said before I played the game.

Your quote really makes it seem like you're not understanding what I'm writing.

23. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

First, let me say that I'm up for trying any sliders that seem better than these if there's a consensus from trying them outside of our dynasty. However, changing slider sets every 3 weeks isn't going to get us anywhere. I've played about 10 games with these and I'm still unsure about some things.

You're still basically a B+ team, and you were at home. Forcier to Robinson isn't a big loss. Minor is an impact player, 90 ovr, so I'll give you that, but your #2 is an 88. Have I said Michigan's roster is waaaay overrated in this game yet?

However, I do agree that you shouldn't be able to turn the ball over 4 times and still win against PSU, at least not usually. How does the game cheat to give you the win though? Just asking, because I don't know what you mean.

24. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I lost to Tennesee and it seemed like no matter what we did they came to play.

The Dline was all over me all game. When I had two chances to tie late my RB and QB fumbled inside the T ten yard line....it happens.

One of those game where we couldnt get out of our own way. Tennesee picked off passes and my dbs didnt.

It didnt feel cheap but it was a familure feeling of there is no way we can overcome all this and win..

Did we change Kicking at all? Cause my kicker has been xtra shitty lately.

25. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Yes, kicking is more difficult I think. You really have to get the line right if you want to hit something from 35+. My kicker can't get it more than 42-43 yards. Even though his real life counterpart has a longer leg than that, it's realistic because he doesn't hit from 40+ really anyway.

I'm almost positive, just from experience, that NCAA Football for several years has been programmed so that in some games one team gets a boost. Do you guys notice this? I remember last year playing a terrible Michigan team, but McGuffie was the best RB I faced all year. Unstoppable. I also was down at half to a bad Purdue team. I couldn't do anything against them, it was like playing Florida. I'm guessing Bruce met one of those teams.

I'd like to see our sliders in a place where I can beat USC or Michigan can beat PSU in a close game on an average day 8-9 out of 10 times. However, with these matchups in games where the CPU gets the "boost" I want it to be very difficult to win (maybe 3/10 times). And it's a good thing if we can lose to a good CPU team by 2+ td's now and then.