Sliders, post patch

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, Jul 19, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Sliders, post patch

Sounding like the patched sliders (on PS3) are very effective, which would be a VERY nice change from the last several years. Some people are saying it allows you to play on All American with a challenge, or make Heisman very difficult.

I'm sure we'll want to do something with the kick distance/acc sliders. As we continue to test the game out, keep potential slider changes in mind. If they're as effective as some people are saying, it could really make the games against the CPU very enjoyable this year.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not seeing anything I really want to mess with yet. Kicking seems a bit too easy, but the rest looks OK.

I think we should maybe count our punts for a few games, see if it will be an actual part of the game this year. I get stopped more than before, it seems.

3. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I haven't seen anything to glaring yet either, but it's early. Did we decide that we're definitely starting out on Heisman? I'm for it.

Giving the CPU run game a bit of a boost is something I'll be keeping an eye on. Take a look at the CPU running stats as you play games and let's try to make sure they have a decent running game if possible. Maybe it's ok at default sliders, but it hasn't been in the past. Something I read was that boosting run blocking affects kickoff return as well. Just something to be aware of.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

It's fairly easy to get pressure on the qb if you manually control the D end. Problem with messing with that slider though is that the other don't get any pressure as it is, hate to make it worse.

5. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I might suggest turning injuries down a couple of notches, if possible.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That's a good one. And I'm all for a solid CPU run game. Scores come down, tackle stats go up. I usually win the TOP, but it should be a bit closer than it was in the past, when I always won it huge.

Oh, and I'd be all for banning the team aggressiveness settings, or maybe keeping them to a single quarter. Turnovers get a little silly on aggressive.

Here's a couple of things I'd like to see change.

1-playing the FS/SS. I know many of us play this way, but the Thorpe award is a bit of a joke. Would it kill you guys to play a little linebacker? I'd make the FS/SS off limits on all but third and fourth down, but you guys would never let me do that. So, the Thorpe will likely remain a joke.

2-YPC - per catch and per carry yards have historically been outrageous. Much of this comes from running only a couple of sets and a small number of money plays. I'd like us to consider making this qualify as cheese instead of forcing me to up the difficulty for everyone just because a few of us have a half-dozen plays that can't miss.

3 - I'd lower the scoring cap to 60. Three score rule still applies.

4 - I'd turn injuries down like Raz suggested, although I haven't seen many injuries that carry on past the game I'm playing in.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm gonna edit some rules together tonight. We'll see what comes of it. None of the above will be a part of this, of course. This is the kind of stuff we would have to discuss.

AG

7. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I'm betting that the pursuit angles and adaptive AI will help with the YPC. Lowering the scoring cap seems fine as well. I don't play with the safeties, so I'll stay out of that discussion.

I'd like the league to consider increasing the User pass rush as well - I still find it almost impossible to get pressure on the CPU with 4. I'm not looking for a near-sack every play - I just don't want the QB having 10 seconds to get rid of the ball.

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

1.I can't judge coverage angle for my life in this game but I still think people should be allowed to use whoever.
    2.I'm hoping this won't be a big problem. It sucked last year when I had to run out of bounds with Best just to try and get him under 10 ypc. If it is a problem again this year than we can look into it.
    3.Fine with me.
    4.I actually like the injuries the way they are. There are more injuries this year but they seem small, if it gets out of hand with long term injuries than I would suggest a change.

9. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Did you see Slant Patterns become a problem last year? Ive played 3 online games this year and people are really abusing these

10. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I agree with Cole on all this. I control the safeties/CB's about 2/3 of the time. LB 1/3. I think I may actually hurt my players chances at those awards because I can't user pick, but if guys are good at controlling the safeties and it leads to a Thorpe, I don't see a big problem there. I had a CB win a Thorpe in season 2 last year and I probably controlled him 1/20 plays. He was just the #1 CB recruit and was ridiculously good. We had a guy in the O30C who was nasty with the MLB, won best LB, and nearly won a Heisman. Either way it happens, I think it's deserved.

As for the pass rush, it would be nice to see more of a rush vs the CPU, but until it's causing us to lose games I don't think we should change it. If the CPU is getting 10 seconds to throw every time but we're still holding them to under 20 points, we shouldn't make things easier on ourselves.

11. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

We can't really start banning general routes. The rule should just be to keep things in moderation. However, someitimes there's a fine line between abusing the AI and just going back to a play that the other guy can't find a way to stop. I think there are ways to stop slants. I certainly couldn't throw one against MurkYa in the tournament.

As for the aggressiveness settings, I think we need to confirm that the strip ball setting can't be countered by going conservative on the protect ball offensive setting before we ban it. It could potentially add an element of strategy. I haven't played that many games though, so maybe you guys already know it's broken and we need to do something.

12. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

By all means, I dont want to ban the play. I just dont want someone throwing 25 straight slant routes..

13. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Right, so then it becomes a question of whether they're throwing 25 straight slants because the play is unstoppable, or because you aren't able to find the right way to stop it.

I think restricting yourself to running a play a reasonable number of times against the CPU, which doesn't really adapt (although they're claiming it does this year, we'll see) is necessary. VS a human though, until we find out that there are certain plays (like the QB sneak last year) that there are no answers for, I think the best way to ensure no one runs the same play over and over is to stop it. Of course, even if someone is picking you apart with one play, I'm sure most/all of us would refrain from running it 5 times in a row. But 5 times in a drive isn't unreasonable to me.

That said, maybe there's a problem with slants this year, I don't know. I haven't played enough games to start noticing those things yet.

14. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I don't think we should touch the aggressiveness settings. I like them a lot and they add a very, very great strategy element to the game in my opinion. I've played about 45 online games (I took last week off and all I did was play football :D ) and I can say with great certainty that I feel conservative protecting of the ball is a great counter for aggressive stripping.

Here's what I've noticed:
    Aggressive stripping is countered by conservative protecting the ball (while the stripper still gets a ton of 15 yard penalties).
    Aggressive D-line is countered by fake snaps as this causes them to jump offsides a fair amount.
    Getting burned short all the time? Set zones to aggressive (at the risk of him switching it up and burning you deep)
    Getting burned deep a lot? Set zones to conservative (which opens up the underneath stuff).
    Can't get your backs to run well? Set running to aggressive (with the risk of fumbling more). I play around with this one a lot depending on the score, and where I am on the field.
    Need a big play? Set catching to aggressive, but you'll also drop more balls.
    Getting too many damned holding calls, even with the setting on "normal" (which I get a lot)? Set it to conservative with the risk of guys coming unblocked to the QB or HB.
    I haven't played around with the "+more interceptions/-for risk for getting burned for a TD" slider much, but maybe others can comment on it.

I really like the mini chess match that these settings bring to the game and would like them to stay.

15. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Jam their receivers.

16. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Exactly. Jamming the receivers, especially when you have receivers that are good at jamming, is a sure fire way to slow down the slants. Between that and the pass rush, they'll be forcing something sooner or later and make a mistake.

17. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'm not sure how to do this in game (unless it's as simple as moving your coverage in tight) but this certainly seems to work. I was playing the CPU and I tried this a few times and it happened every time. I had 3 receivers on one side. I had the inside guy running a fly, the middle (on the line of scrimmage) doing a slant out) and the outside guy doing a slant inside. The CPU corner (and this happened every time) would jam my middle guy who was supposed to run a slant towards the sideline and then he just rode him upfield which prevented my receiver from ever getting to the outside.

I thought that was pretty cool.