Sliders

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Sliders

I don't know about you guys but I think sliders are gonna be massively important. Can we start working on a set or look around for a set that work good? I want tough games this year against the cpu but some things seem broken on default sliders.

I'll tell you what i want to see and then you guys can tell me if that fits with what you'd like and/or if it fits with your experiences witht he game so far.

So far the biggest worry I have is that running is too easy against the cpu, followed VERY closely by the fact that man defense covers all routes except slants and drags.

The fixes would be fairly apparent for the running game problem....

With the passing stuff I'm not so sure.

I've noticed that setting the cpu (and human) pass coverages to lower than 50 improves this... Which is nice. It directly affects the reaction time of the defenders. If you put it at 0, they never react lol. If you put it at 50, they move before the receiver on most routes.

So my thought is, make the QB very inaccurate but give the receivers a chance to get open on other routes. I'm thinking something like 10-20 accuracy for the hum QB, 35 or so for the cpu QB, and 35-40 pass coverage for the cpu and human teams.

But then maybe slants will be even more dangerous! But at the same time... I think most of us can do something to stop the slants/drags, like get guys in the middle to just pop them when they get the ball. And most of us want to throw different routes than slants we just couldn't last year.

I had games last year where guys used the same double move all day. not because they wanted to but because that's all that worked! That got fucking OLD, and I mean I won as many of those as I lost, I just hated the repetition of it.

But I wanna know what you guys think about it. Hotrod, i know you really like to pass, are you seeing what I'm seeing? Or are you working other routes against 50 man coverage on AA... And if so, HOW? lol

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I have completed streaks and post corner routes without problem......but let me "lab" more. Agreed running is easy period.....but I do I have a good running team.

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

... never understood the whole "we'll make passing easier this way, then make it harder this way" double dip mentality. then again i'm not a fan of slider tweaks at all, and if anything thing they should be very very minimal.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah I am not a big fan of it in an Online Dynasty form. It is not supposed to affect user games which is good. Sliders to me is a very personal thing. One person might have trouble passing on default sliders and another migth say it is way too easy. What do you do????

5. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I just don't know if they provide a better gaming experience. Regardless of what you do with sliders people are immediately going to try and find holes in them and tailor their game to the way they think makes it easier for them to win.

i also don't think the mythical "hard computer game" exists unless you're playing the Florida's of the world. I mean how many years have folks sought the challenging computer v. human game? personally I can't remember it ever really happening - not with folks who venture to sites like this and live and breathe football.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Jesus in for a long year again then

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

IMO...we can try and tone down the running....seems like a simpler problem to tackle. I also think we should play 1 whole season and then we will have not only data and opinions from our dynasty but the other 2 dozen dynasties on the forum.

I agree with Bly about the "mythical hard computer game" it doesn't and wont ever exist unless we we playing with D rated schools. Wisconsin/PITT is IMO rated too high for this league but I am not changing now.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

it would also be nice if some other member had some opinions on the game play so far. I haven't played enough games IMO (decent amount of time in Practice). But preliminary feelings say running was a bit on the easy side (but keep in mind I have a good team). Passing seemed ok so far. I tore apart UNLV 15/19 for 250+ and no ints. My QB is nothing special. On defense, I dont know who to control to be honest. I have been in effective with just about everyone....but keep in mind it has been that way for me since 2009....doh.

Kicking seams harder. Kick returns seem impossible....I feel like I cant move out of the way. Punt return seems better. Alot of dropped balls by defense and offense. Same fucking tackling animations on running plays 80% of the time.

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I've only played two games and won't be around much to play any today. I
    've never been one to worry about the cpu being competitive since the only way tha is possible is if we stack the deck in their favor dramatically. Even then we will win a lot since the cpu is dumber than shit.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Only thing I have so far is if we can improve KR...as is when u get the ball, the defense is seemingly at the 25 yard line...I haven't gotten past the 25 yard line so far!

if you tone down QB accuracy, don't do it much IMO.

CPU defense is fine, I've been able to complete curls, comebacks on default AA.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Wow I can't believe that every fucking year I gotta play this game where the defenders are cutting BEFORE the receiver and everybody is 100% o.k. with this shit. AfuckingMazing

Bly: I haven't had a QB miss on a single throw in like five games man. So I don't know why you're calling it double dipping, it's fixing two separate problems.

Christ.

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

OK I am confused now. So MAN DEFENSE is too good this year but you're having no problem throwing the ball.

Please explain what exactly you think is the problem? Excuse my lack of understanding but "I Don't get it"

[​IMG]

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'd like to play a game where more than three routes work Jason. Something that sort of resembles real football. We're "sim" right?

I'm completing passes because the QB never misses a throw but it's always slants, passes to the flats, etc. The same stuff that worked last year.

They've made some nice improvements but they still have the zombie corners cutting before the receiver on the default AA settings. How could that be acceptable to even the most lax gamer? Maybe it's just something we'll have to live with again.

I completely disagree with Bly's "don't wanna mess with the sliders" approach. Completely disagree. Because from what I've seen the sliders actually work this year (unlike last year) so I don't want to waste the opportunity to use them and make the game better.

And now post routes don't work. So you're down to 2 routes, with the occassional long bomb thrown in. At the same time the QB always throws an accurate ball so I'd like to reduce that.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

ok,ok....i am computing. I amnot sure this is something we can really fix. Again though tfixing the sliders wont affect the user vs user games...correct?

15. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Oh shit, droppin JMS' government name??

In all seriousness Helli, we are talking CPU only right? I haven't spent a ton of time playing the CPU yet but I definitely remember completing a few posts vs. man on you when we played the other night. And I also definitely remember having my feet set and Stephen Garcia missing high on a completely wide open out route on a 3rd down. So I think inaccurate balls are there. Now whether we need to tweak sliders to make them happen more often is another story.

As far as the CPU breaking the routes--if it doesnt happen all the time, I tend to try and think of it as the corner 'guessed' the route, which does happen IRL. And again, I've said it before but the out and deep out IS the hardest route to complete IRL so IMO it should be tough against man. Is it happening on like every route in your opinion?

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

In user games it seems a little better. Let's run a few games tonight if you guys are available... But yeah go to practice on AA dude... Try all the routes against man bump and man off. Just look at the interactions. If I'm wrong in what I'm seeing or just not good at the game let me know.

I felt that last year hte guys that were "good" at passing were the guys that used the same damn routes all game long. The ones that "worked." That is NOT their fault that's the game's fault but I don't want a game that plays like that again unless we have no choice.

Well unfortunatley it seems to be a "work" or "doesn't work" situation again against the cpu at least, and maybe against users. Man I wish it was variable based on the skill level of the players but I've found some of the best route runners around and they can't get open!

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

My assumption is if we change something for the user it will affect both users. And thus, user games.

18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I don't want user games to be drastically different gameplay wise then cpu games.

IMO play a few more days and get some more data in. Play with some different teams and feel it out. I have no problem with Helli coming up with a set of sliders and just rolling with it for the season. I don't like changing sliders in season unless it is absolutely necessary.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    user games felt nice...played hotrod yesterday...game felt pretty good. The run game I could see could be very effective but i haven't played with it much.

Again I'd try to log more with the CPU but I completed some curls in man, as well as hitting the out routes against CPU. Posts do work too....mind you i'm using a impact QB so lol....

20. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

The game feels really uneven for me right now. Not sure i like it much.

Feels stiff and stale already...

21. Blaza

lol, you guys are a trip!

22. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

F it! Let's get this thing rolling with Fairdale Kings rosters and see what happens. Start it tomorrow and by the end of year 1 we'll have a good idea what is happening plus we can get a good barometer of the other leagues.

Maybe drop user run block to 40-45 and man cover to the same? I've played with Oregon and a QB who has a below average arm and watched him miss 5 straight wide open receivers. Ive also played with Michigan St and ran all day with ease, but their playbook is built for power run.

Bottom line is let's do this damn thing!

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Try these sliders when you get time guys.

All penalties to 95 except Holding, Facemask, and Clipping at Default.

Custom AI:

User:
    QB ACC 15
    PASS BLOCK 50
    WR CATCH 50
    RB ABIL 55
    RUN BLOCK 45
    PASS COVERAGE 35
    PASS RSH 55
    INTERCEPTIONS 50
    RUSH DEF 40
    TACKLING 60
    FG POWER 45
    FG ACC 10
    PUNT POW 50
    PUNT ACC 10
    KICK POW 50

CPU:
    QB ACC 20
    PASS BLOCK 50
    WR CATCH 60
    RB ABIL 60
    RUN BLOCK 60
    PASS COVERAGE 35
    PASS RSH 55
    INTERCEPTIONS 50
    RUSH DEF 60
    TACKLING 65
    FG POWER 45
    FG ACC 50
    PUNT POW 50
    PUNT ACC 55
    KICK POW 50

Has given me really good games. Players seem to be playing to their ratings. I abuse most linebackers if they put them on my TE or a WR but Chris Galippo just picked me off by jumping a really good route. I've gotten beaten by the CPU and also beaten them twice.

24. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Qb accuracy at 15............sheesh. Why not just zero it out!

25. Blaza

Yeah I hope Helli realizes we don't all have Jake Locker as our starter. :(