Sliders

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Hokie Effect, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Coug and I discussed this during one of our games in another dynasty and we both agree taht the sliders for T3 seem to be pretty weak. I think we need to take a look at this for next season. CPU games have become meaningless for the top rated teams and I don't think anyone has lost to the cpu in a long time. Brave, might want to consider the ones we use in Legacy. I have had several close cpu games and have even lost some.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

If we start monkeying around with sliders I'll probably not be around for long. Sliders that make crappy players play like all stars for the sake of competitive CPU games (which isn't what happens every week in real college football anyway) hold no interest for me.

The blowouts are due more to talentless CPU teams than the sliders, in my opinion. For example, here are the powerhouse CPU teams that are being played against this week:

FSU (B+) vs Maryland (C)
    Indiana (C-) vs Ohio St (A+)
    UNC (B) vs Clemson (B)
    Texas (A-) vs TTU (B-)
    Oklahoma (A) vs Kansas St (C)
    Oregon St (B-) vs Washington St (C+)
    UCLA (B+) vs Arizona (C)
    FSU (B+) vs Maryland (C)

Not surprisingly, the 2 games with fairly even rosters provided closer games (WSU 34 vs OSU 24, UNC 24 vs Clem 19). I'm not sure why you think that a C rated team would stay within 30-40 points of an A rated team, but it's college football and there are blowouts every week. Even the 'good' CPU teams for the most part aren't even rated above a B. The issue is that as much as there was talk of improving the CPU recruiting, they also reduced the number of truly impact recruits each year, and there isn't enough talent spread around for 105+ CPU teams.

Last year, with these same default sliders, WSU dropped several CPU games, UNC did as well and so did UCLA. I had at least 2 games that came down to the final possession of the 4th quarter vs the CPU, and I struggled to beat a bad BC team by 12 points (was down 16-0 in the 2nd half before I made a comeback). The sliders aren't the problem, the talent is. The ACC, as an example has 4 teams rated a B or higher out of 12 teams. The rest are C or C-. I'd imagine that the other conference CPU teams are in similar shape.

That just my $0.02, ultimately it is braves call.

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I pretty much hate messing with sliders because any changes made have negative effects in other areas. If I try to make sliders harder for running the ball, then under center people will struggle a bit but shotgun running will be completely ineffective. I also agree with Dru about the talent difference. We have discussed this in C2C but I think we may need to institute recruiting restrictions for next year's game. It is pretty much too late at this point to worry about that problem. Even a few seasons down the road it wouldn't have a significant impact. Lastly, another problem is the CPU just playing dumb. They don't make good play calls which leads to a lot of blow outs. No sliders in this game can fix this.

If the majority really want slider changes we can discuss it, but I would prefer not to mess with that aspect.

4. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Very well thought out and researched rebutal Dru. I do agree that its very difficult to find the "perfect" sliders. Just didn't know how everyone felt about the constent cpu blowouts. So if we stay on course as they are I don't have a problem. Just starting some chatter I guess....

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Some of us were talking about it a few weeks ago and I think spreading user teams around the country (as is done in most ODs) causes the CPU to become weak after 4-5 seasons since users are targetting all the good recruits in each big recruiting region. I think that the best setup for an OD in 2012 will be to have 12 in 2 conferences. That way the CPU teams in other regions are getting better recruits and have a shot at remaining competitive.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Bah humbug

• Like Like x 1