Smace - My General Concerns

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by HackGolfer, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Smace - My General Concerns

Smace,

After reading your Ark-Alabama game summary, I had a few eyebrows raised on certain points you made that I felt would benefit the entire league for seeing in General.. because Im sure you are not the only one who has done or thought this..

For starters, obviously you know as everyone else, that the 16 yard drop back by Jackson was a poor play.. When your QB turns around and sprints, the CPU AI almost always breaks their coverage, which is why your guy was wide open.. It looks like that was a one time thing, so I don't see it as a major deal if it was a genuine accident.. Just keep it in the mind in the future when pressing sprint and dropping a QB back..

The one thing I am the most concerned about is this right here:

This falls under the rules about mixing it up. If you are in the 46, and creeping your safeties up, then you are always showing blitz, not either/or.. And the free safety rarely plays up front on the run unless they are the designed blitzer on the play -- in which case a CB or the SS falls back into Cover1.. The SS may sneak up a few times a game knowing that his FS has his back, but if you are in a 46 and creeping up the FS, you are putting 9 guys in the box.. and unfortunately for this game, the AI is broken and the FS can turn around fast enough to get into coverage and break up a play instead of getting burned like he would in real life..

You tell me how many times Brian Dawkins or Ed Reed gets a TFL or stuffs a RB at the line.. There is no true definition of what is sim, but our rules are in place to help navigate around the flawed game features such as biting completely on the run yet still being able to defend the pass..

The free safety is called "Free", because they are supposed to read to QB to determine which WR to help cover and are "free" roaming in the secondary.. They should be your last line of defense, not the first person to meet the ball carrier at the line..

The other thing that raised the flag for me was this:

This almost reflects poor-sportsmanship on your part for actually making this post... And sportsmanship is the #1 idea behind TF.. To find a group of guys that you want to befriend and enjoy playing against.. You could have left this part unsaid and not try to belittle your OD comrade..

Most of you guys post quality stuff in this league.. but you just can't let your emotions get the best of you when you are posting.. If it was a great game and you lost, sure you will be emotional, but don't take it out on your opponent.. thats what the PSN Lobby is for.. not TF.. and you can't read a joke through text, remember that. If you have a problem with someone's gameplay, PM him first and sort it out.. If the issue still persists, take it to your commish.. Don't publically blast away..

*And note that I have also deleted the posts following your intial game summary post so that your thread would not be flooded with comments.

2. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

man i saw the noknee being out of our league thing and i just shut my mouth, but now seeing this post with the FS thing i must at least speak to that. i lost to him which is no prob. i was bored playing because every single play of the game when there was even an outside chance of me calling a run his FS was a middle linebacker. the ONLY time he didnt is when it was a 100% chance of me passing. he basically had a hybrid 4-4 defense with a 90+ speed FS at linebacker spot who would basically nano blitz right past my lineman on run plays and would easily make it back on pass plays. i called counters and stuff to offset what was being done, but my program right now doesn't have enough talent to truely compete anyways.

*if he wanted a 4-4 d then pick one. people are supposed to be here to get away from all the other BS out there so we can match up and play good football games. the people who play like that play only to win and beat someone rather then the experience itself. if they dont like it then bounce. im going public here and lettin whoever reads this that noknee was a piss poor participant IMO for this dynasty.

3. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

I'm posting from my phone, so bear with me. I'll post more when I get home.

First of all, I wasn't trying to insult you or even joke around when I sent you the good half message. I usually send a text or a psn message at halftime of user games to my opponent, and I was winning 24-6, what would I say? "Shit man, I'm kicking your ass, play better". Hell no, I'm not the kind of person. Ask anyone who has played me and I'm sure they will vouch for me being a good sportsman.

The sprint drop back was an isolated incident, so it didn't really concern me. Sure he got a touchdown, and after, I messaged him saying it was cheezy, and he said he would show it, which he did. I don't feel he played cheezy throughout the game, as I said the drop back was the only cheeze play that stands out in my memory.

The debate over free safety play is better reserved for people who understand the intricacies of football more than I do, so I'll just stay out of it, as I can tell my football smarts aren't up to par.

I hope I didn't cause any issues, as I believe this is the best league on TF and I wouldn't want to tarnish it.

Just my two cents.

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

That's the point of this league....to have fair SIM play. If people are doing wrong, please report them and have highlight's to show. We dont know if someone doesnt report. We all watch the game (college or Pro) and know what's real/fake.

I know thats not the issue with smace. He's not a cheesy player. That was just an isolated incident. But I agree with Hack on the safety walked up all the time....no...no.

5. shadowofanubis66

shadowofanubis66 Walk On

I personally love it when guys bring the free safety up to the line. My eyes light up with the receiving core i got. Your corner better jam the heck out of him or i'm taking that thing for 6.

6. Noknee

Noknee Walk On

I agree a lot with what Smace says in that people are being handcuffed by rules that don't even simulate real football. Also a lot of real football can't even be executed in the game, and I'm sure even if it could, it would be considered cheese. An example of this would be that you can't have stand up defensive lineman, despite the fact that it does happen in real football. The Jets for the majority of the game against the Chargers had 1 defensive tackle down, and the rest we're standing up moving back and forth a long the line of scrimmage. If this was done here it would probably be considered cheese.

As far as the FS goes on my part, I run a 3-3-5 most of the game. The most common defensive play I call is something called Cover 2 MLB spy, where the corners drop deep into Cover 2, MLB has QB responsiblity, 2 outside backers drop out into middle, and the FS covers the middle of the defense (same depth as backers. That's why it looks like he's playing at MLB depth.

On man to man plays I usually double up on one of the running backs, or I make the FS spy the QB, so there's no reason for him to drop back. A lot of teams when facing running QBs (especially fast ones) have their fastest player just spy him the whole game. It's what USC did with Taylor Mays against Pryor in the 2008 OSU/USC game.

It's not like my defense was impenetrable, Smace scored 28 points on it, same with Tuco, and I'm pretty sure Hood put up over 35 points on it (forget the last one). It just seems weird that I get called out every time I played in this dynasty and I've never really complained about anything other people did even when I thought it was lame for them doing it. Like a user controlled DE running sideways from the start of the ball and then cutting back in because the CPU tackle stops having responsibility on him.

It's weird how the people that complained against me were when teams I beat got blown out and they never complained when they won/lost a close game with me. I honestly don't change anything I do in those games. Example: Hood got mad last season when I got a few turnovers early and the score was rolling up. I played the same way this season, and there wasn't a complaint from him (outside of pass commit, but I just never saw that as a new rule).

I'm sorry you felt that I was a poor participant, I enjoyed the time I spent in the dynasty, and I don't begrudge any of the people here. I think people just need to breathe, and accept losses a little easier.

7. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Like I said earlier, alot of our rules are meant to be in place to stop an user from being able to abuse a broken feature in the game. If the game had a physics engine that was remotely accurate to real life, players wouldnt be able to cut on a dime and change direction without having to lose speed.. So if a FS leans in and takes a few steps forward to bite on a PA, he should be hung out to dry thanks to momentum.. but he can change his direction just that easily and get back into coverage.. There are alot of gray areas that we have in the rules that could honestly go either way, so thats the point of brining them out in the open to discuss them with your league..

A lot of leagues have banned the base 3-3-5 because it is a broken defensive set based on what I just said above with the FS.. The weakest part of a 3-3-5 is its ability to stop the run.. but when you are still able to slide 8 guys into the box on a 3-3-5, to stop the run and still effectively stop the pass, there is no risk/reward...

8. Noknee

Noknee Walk On

The play calls for the FS to be that low, though which was my point. He's supposed to be at the same depth as linebackers, also if I was able to effectively stop the pass with the defense I wouldn't have given up 28+ points to every user game I played which I did for all but 3 in this dynasty I think.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Then it likely falls under 'mixing up playcalling'.

If your FS is playing where the LBs are, why not just use another defensive set with an additional LB?

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Then it likely falls under 'mixing up playcalling'. Depends on how many times a game you call that play. From your previous post, it suggests that you use it alot. FSs should not come close to leading your team in tackles (and really shouldn't even be close to 80-85 tackles, should have 1-3 TFL and 1 or 2 sacks MAXIMUM). If they do, you should theoretically have one of the worst defenses in the country.

If your FS is playing where the LBs are, why not just use another defensive set with an additional LB?

11. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

... amen

12. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

Hack has done a wonderful job of expaining all that has transpired with the gameplay concerns so I have nothing to add to that but I do have a message for smace...

I know you speak your mind and may say edgy stuff sometimes and that's just who you are, and I don't have a problem with that but I think the overall tone of your posts needs to improve.

You cannot come on here and attack someone, like Hack said sportsmanship is a big part of TF. Along those same lines, it seems like you are complaining in some of your posts about how the league is being run or how certain situations are handled sometimes. I respect your opinion but it seems like everytime something happens you think it could have or should have been dealt with differently. I can tolerate it though, I know Cimmy tossed you from his league cuz he couldn't put up with you, I have no intentions of doing that, but don't push the envelope cuz I didn't want to part ways with Noknee for quite a while either.

What I guess I'm saying is this, I respect your opinion more tham most people's that are in this league due to your knowledge of the game and whatnot, but I would just like for you to be a lil bit more conservative in some of your posts. G-Unit used to be edgy too but he has bene perfectly fine for quite sometime now. If you don't like how something is being done just PM me, no public mockeries on here.

13. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

*if u were only this active before
    if you are referring to me accepting losses ill go ahead and disregard that one. im not even bowl eligible this season and the USER that beat me in that game to make me ineligible was jca who i followed up saying GG i wish i could play you every game of the year. to add to that i wanted to see ur writeup on my game with u.... u know the writeup that never got done. u know the game that u said u beat my ass in. im pretty sure u know what im talking about. ur safety "rb double" better known as blitzing in a place with a 90+ spd guy that the AI wont block is better known as a nano blitz. anyways the bottom line to me is this.... u were warned MULTIPLE times for the main reason why you were removed which was your lack of activity. has nothing to do with my personal thoughts on ur safety play or anything to do with me. i went public when this safety thing was brought up cuz it is cheesy whether u admit to it or not. respond if u like but i will not respond. PM me if u want interaction with me since my post wasn't intended for you to respond anyways and i dont wanna get into a long argument style thread anyways

14. Noknee

Noknee Walk On

My post was somewhat directed at you, but the entire thing wasn't, it was more of a general talk of what the thread was talking about. The JCA game is irrelevant because wasn't it a close game? I was saying that people were only complaining after being blown out, not if they were close games. JFunk beat me by 14 points in his first season and he had the ball inside the 5 before taking knees. He did a few things I didn't really like, but I didn't cry about it. He played better than I did, and deserved to win. Like I said, me being removed doesn't really have anything to do with the thread I was just responding to my play.

It isn't a blitz, I only followed the running back, if it's run play obvious he's going to be moving towards him to make the tackle. If it's a pass I generally go towards where the RB is going unless the LB has sufficient coverage on him, then I move back towards the middle. Even when the RB stays in to block I'll try to pick up the receiver who the QB is most likely to throw it to. If it was a straight out blitz my FS would have an actual sack this year, you can check the stats he doesn't. And if we're going to talk about sim play what linebackers get 46 sacks in one season (or whatever rididculous number that was)? I think that's more cheese than my FS leading my team in tackles for a team with below average pass defense.

And yes statistically speaking I do have one of the worst user defenses, and against the pass I have been historically dreadful (Last season I was 100th or so in the nation in pass defense, each season I have improved though). Like I said I'm not stopping users at all. 3 of the 5 teams I played this season were over 4 TDs scored by the opposite user.

As far as mixing up playcalling, I reread my post and I see that I mistyped what I meant to say and it was unclear. I mainly call plays where the FS is suppose to cover the middle of the field (not deep 3rd the actual middle of the field is where they are diagramed). Cover 2 MLB spy is just one example but there are about 4-5 that do that I use interchangably. They all call for the FS to be there. even if I control someone else the FS is still suppose to be there. And I always control my FS, I've never not controlled the FS in any NCAA game. I played the position in HS and in college, so it's the position I always control which is why I play as it.

15. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Look at this thread.

All this off of MY game summary.

First thing, I spoke up on some things and the guys in the dynasty agreed with me in cimmys dynasty which he didnt like. But me and trude and others left, not kicked out when we voted on changing the dynasty from a one star dynasty to whatever it is now. I will leave this alone but if he says he kicked me out that says all we need right there about integrity.

attacks on people.
    Someone find me the post where i attacked anyone. Show me who i mocked public or private.

In fact everyone who reads this imagine you get a msg at halftime when u were down 24-0, "Good half". my reply was "i really didnt have a good half" even though i know at best it could be viewed as a sarcastic attack. I think my response to the msg shows all you need about sportsmanship. And actually there was something that was done to me that was worst in my eyes in regards to sportsmanship during this year, but i never said a word even though it should have been addressed.
    It was posted i got the msg in the game summary because it was relevant to the game. first half was 24-6 his way. after the msg it was 20-6 my way.
    But to say its unsportsman like to mention it is beyond me and hypocritical when you look at the original msg and this whole post above.

Attacks on playcalling.
    again from the outside totally inaccuarate. anybody who plays me knows i use more formations than almost anybody on this site. The playbooks i use are Balanced, or FSU because they use the most formations and have power, spread and passing plays in the playbook.
    on defense i use multiple defense playbook or if i play shadow 4-2-5 mainly for the same reason noknee plays fs. it keeps the middle of the field covered better than most other defenses without giving up the outside runs.

Everybody who plays me knows i keep and play at least two safeties deep 90% of the time. In THIS game i gave up 140 yds rushing first half and i was getting audibled to a run a lot so i had to bring everybody close two the line. whether it was by formation 46, or by disguise, nickle two deep show blitz. I guess i was suppose to keep calling the same defense that was not working and play 7 in the box and give up 300 yds rushing.

the 46 defenses main goal is not to blitz. Its to leave guys unblocked. It creates numbers overloads by formation. That is the main goal of the 46 whether its against the run or pass. There is two deep, cover two and cover threes in the 46. the risk is a good screen or a missed tackle can cost you big plays. I could not get off the blocks so i line slanted and used the 46 to try and slow him down. Ark still ran for about 80 yards the second half even though my time of possession was more in the second half.

attacked on the bad drop
    the video is called bad drop back, the user(jam) said i did it. i paused the game to see what he was talking about. he said he was not gonna report it. I said i will because i had nothing to hide. I explained how it happened 5 times and still get concerns and posts in my thread like i did it on purpose. The play did not break the coverage, the guy was open at the cut. especially since jam was user controlling the safety to that side. Its the same play that scored twice on shadow in the SEC championship game last year. once to the back once to a receiver. Its a play that is made for man to man coverage with a user controlling a safety. But back on point for me to post what happened and still get all kind of attacks on the play is crazy. I dont hold the sprint button on drop backs. And for the Army guys to question my integrity is a diss all in it self. But i guess thats the new Army.

NOKNEE
    i played him the last two years and scored four times and 20 or more points both times. His FS has zero sacks for his career so i dont see the nano blitz thing. He takes away the glitch plays. The slants that cant be covered, and all things to your hb. Its up to you to stop using glitch plays and your HB to score on him. I do think he uses glitch plays on offense(mainly to the TE) but his defense is not cheesing and is easily beaten if you know football. He moves his FS out of your way half the time for you.

After looking at this thread my guess is because i have opinions and express them, I have been accused of attacking people, cheating on defense, cheating in drop backs, told im unsportsman and pretty much called a liar, all based off of MY post and then im told you cant tell what is meant in a msg or post yet i have a whole thread of inaccurate accusations based off of msgs and posts.
    I guess i have been dubbed the next to go, so someone can come in and take over Alabama.

16. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Umm...Smace, I dont think anyone has "dubbed you next to go". So dont worry about that.

That's all man, it's all good. Your active, post excellent summaries/scouting/recruiting and you are always one of the first to get their games in upon advancing. And we know your a fair player.

Plus your doing some great things at Bama with all the great young talent you have brought in.

17. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Thread Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.