Smitty67's Georgia State Odyssey

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by ronsmith67, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

I have copied Stanimal in the past, and he has ideas that make NCAA a little more entertaining, with that in mind, I decided to become the new head coach of the Georgia State Panthers and will attempt to chronicle the ups and downs of a new coach in a new program.

2. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Pre-Season: The Georgia State Panthers are led into their first season in Division I-A (FBS, I hate the name) by Ron Smith. Smith is a former middle school assistant football coach at tiny McIntosh County Middle School in Darien, Ga. He also toted clipboards and charted plays for the high school team at McIntosh County Academy in Darien, Ga. for the last five years while teaching math. “I didn’t think I wanted to make more of a move coaching, but when this opportunity came up, I had to take it,” Smith commented during the off-season. There was a mix-up in resumes within the athletic department at Georgia State and Smith received a call in January during the school year and accepted the interview. “I wanted to see what the process was like just in case I ever wanted to move up to that level, but it just kind of got out of control, and the next thing I knew I was offered the job, what else could I do?” So, he packed his family up and moved from the coastal Georgia area to downtown Atlanta to take over a first-year program that may struggle to compete in many of their games this season. “We’re thin in many positions, and we have some players stepping into new roles this season, but spring practice was great and the kids have a fantastic attitude about our move into the Sun Belt Conference.” Smith installed a pro-style offense and a 3-4 defense for this season. “The pro-style offense will give us some power type offense and allow us to use our skill in an up-tempo type of offense, but we want to be a power team first,” Smith noted. On defense, “we’re small but quick, so we wanted to take advantage of that quickness at the LB position by having four of them on the field. We think we have some playmakers at that position, and we have some hitters in the defensive backfield,” he added. The schedule does the Panthers no favors as they make trips to Morgantown, WV and Tuscaloosa, AL for non-conference road games. They also have three FCS teams on the schedule, but given last season’s 1-11 record, even those games could be difficult. “We want to be competitive in every game we play this season, but we want to be realistic also.” Asked to put a number on what he expects the wins to be, Smith paused and said “I don’t want to put that type of pressure on the kids going into this season.” When pressed for an answer he said, “we’re going to go out and play hard, coach our best and look for improvement in every facet of the game each week. That’s all we can ask for as a staff and team, and I promise our fans and university community, they will be proud of their Panthers on and off the field.” With that, Smith and his staff look forward to the start of the 2013 season with the opening game against FCS division Samford on August 30th at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

3. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Samford 33 Georgia State 27. The Panthers fall to 0-1 with a heartbreaking loss to open the season and Smith's coaching career. QB Ben McLane threw 4 picks resulting in 20 points for Samford, but led a spirited comeback as he drove the Panthers down to the 6-yard line with 8 seconds remaining and no time-outs. Two incompletions in the end zone, the final one as time expired left the Panthers wondering what might have been. Smith stated afterward "give the kids credit, we trailed 27-0 early in the third quarter and never quit. The offensive staff had to get away from the game plan, but made it work, and the defense stepped up and only allowed 6 more points." "We can't commit four early turnovers and expect to win against anyone this year, we need to clean that up, we gave them 20 points, too easy," Smith continued. "We did some good things offensively, but we want to run more than pass and establish a power game. We put our defense in some difficult positions and they held their own, especially in the second half." Next week the Panthers host the Chattanooga Moccasins at the Georgia Dome. "We'll break down the film and get back to work. We can't hang our heads too long after this, which is probably a good thing for us."

4. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Game 2: Chattanooga 45 Georgia State 21. 4 turnovers by the home team and a punt return for a TD allowed the Mocs to roll out of the Georgia Dome with an easy victory over Georgia State. 4 major penalties also negated a couple of big plays by GSU. "We made way too many mistakes today," Smith lamented after the loss. There were some positives on the offensive side of the football despite the turnovers and penalties, but the defense allowed too many big plays as 5 of the 6 TD's for Chattanooga came on plays over 25 yards. "We need to be more assertive and step up and make plays on the defensive side," Smith added. "The kids are playing hard, but we're thinking too much instead of playing the game," he continued. The Panthers switched to a 3-4 defensive scheme this off-season with the new coaching staff and some players are learning new responsibilities and formations on the fly. "That's what this year is going to be for us on defense, but it's no excuse, we still have to put the kids in the right positions and let them make plays." The Panthers travel to Morgantown to take out West Virginia next week. "We better be ready defensively, because they can move the ball and put points on the board in a hurry," Smith said as he previewed next week's matchup.

5. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Game 3: West Virginia 41 Georgia State 17. "I thought we played our game on offense, we controlled the ball, moved the football on the ground, and Ben McLane did a great job managing the offense. We had a couple of missed field goals down in the red zone, and got close at the end of the first half and ran out of time before we could score," Smith summarized. The GSU offense controlled the ball for 28 minutes compared to 8 for WVU but, true to his style Dana Holgerson had the Mountaineer scoring quickly and often. WV jumped out to a 17-0 first quarter lead and led 24-3 at the half. West Virginia put up 395 yards passing and 452 yards of total offense. Georgia State ran the ball 52 times for 197 yards, "almost 4 yards per carry and that helps us control the clock," Smith said. Sophomore QB Ben McLane was 14-20 for 186 yards through the air with no TD's but no INT's. The Panthers committed no turnovers and limited their penalties to 2 for 11 yards. "Ben did a great job of running our offense and managing the plays for us, it helped us control the clock, that's the type of offense we want to be," Smith added. RB Gerald Howse ran for 111 yards and 1 TD on 23 carries. "If we can play offense like that an control the tempo of the game to help give our defense a break, I'm confident we can break into the win column," Smith concluded. The Panthers host Jacksonville State next week then travel to Tuscaloosa to play the Crimson Tide in two weeks. "Trips to Morgantown and Tuscaloosa will help us in so many ways," Smith said when questioned about the schedule.

6. fantasyboi

fantasyboi If Tebow isn't Jesus, I'm the Pope

This is really intimidating. I havent touched the game because i am putting names in the game but i've been targetting played with GA St or a team that low and the fact that FCS schools r beating u is crazy. can't wait to get the challenge from every aspect!

7. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Hey, fantasyboi, I'm using a pretty good set of Heisman sliders I found over at operation sports. I think there are winnable games with Ga State, but they have the lowest rankings in the game, I believe, so they have worse numbers than even the FCS schools and in real-life last year went 1-11 against an FCS schedule, so this part at least feels realistic. I didn't want to set the sliders so low that I went 10-2 or something, I wanted it to be realistic, so yes, it is a bit intimidating, but building a program should be, so I'm going to ride it out and hope I last through the 5-year contract they gave me.

8. fantasyboi

oh for sure. I love building programs from the ground up. I'm not saying this sounds horrible. I'm saying this sounds awesome!

9. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

It should be fun, for sure. It would satisfying just to build them up in the first couple or three years to be bowl eligible and maybe win a conference title in year 3, 4, or 5 and then go from there. I usually don't play the Dynasty mode out past a year, but this seemed like too much fun to try, and I live in Georgia and coach middle school football so I figured make it my own little fantasy of building a D1 program, because it's not happening in real life for me, so what the heck.

10. fantasyboi

ya helps that they play in a good sized stadium. i cant stand tiny HS stadiums haha

11. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Yea, the tiny HS stadiums are in the MAC. I grew up about 80 miles south of Bowling Green and went to a few of the MAC stadiums in Ohio, and they are barely glorified HS stadiums. Though having a bad team like GSU playing in a big stadium makes everything echo like an airplane hangar.

12. fantasyboi

ya when i saw that they have the ga dome i was stoked

13. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Game 4: Jacksonville St. 31 Georgia State 3. "We definitely took a step or two back today," Smith lamented after the beat-down his Panthers took at the hands of the FCS opponent. Ben McLane, the sophomore QB for the Panthers, threw six interceptions which resulted in 17 J-State points, and killed two other deep drives which may have resulted in points for the Panthers. "This one's on me," McLane commented. "I have to be better than that, and make smarter decisions and better throws," he continued. RB Gerald Howse had his second straight 100+ yard day, and McLane ran the read option fairly well, but the interceptions thwarted any momentum the Panthers could get going. Defense has been struggle in the first four games for Georgia State as well. "We have some kids playing new positions and still adjusting to the new 3-4 scheme, but we still have to make plays," Smith said. The Panthers have little time to feel sorry for themselves as they travel to Tuscaloosa in two weeks to get ready to take on #1 Alabama. "We need the week off. We're going to use the first week to install some new plays on offense and take a look at our scheme and personnel on defense, then we will get ready for Alabama in the second week," Smith previewed. After the game with the Tide, the conference schedule takes hold. It appears likely that the Panthers will still be searching for their first win when conference play opens. "This game with Alabama is about pride in ourselves, and our commitment to each other as teammates. We need to stay with our game plan and learn from it," Smith said as he concluded his post-game press conference.

14. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Game 4: Jacksonville St. 31 Georgia State 3. "We definitely took a step or two back today," Smith lamented after the beat-down his Panthers took at the hands of the FCS opponent. Ben McLane, the sophomore QB for the Panthers, threw six interceptions which resulted in 17 J-State points, and killed two other deep drives which may have resulted in points for the Panthers. "This one's on me," McLane commented. "I have to be better than that, and make smarter decisions and better throws," he continued. RB Gerald Howse had his second straight 100+ yard day, and McLane ran the read option fairly well, but the interceptions thwarted any momentum the Panthers could get going. Defense has been struggle in the first four games for Georgia State as well. "We have some kids playing new positions and still adjusting to the new 3-4 scheme, but we still have to make plays," Smith said. The Panthers have little time to feel sorry for themselves as they travel to Tuscaloosa in two weeks to get ready to take on #1 Alabama. "We need the week off. We're going to use the first week to install some new plays on offense and take a look at our scheme and personnel on defense, then we will get ready for Alabama in the second week," Smith previewed. After the game with the Tide, the conference schedule takes hold. It appears likely that the Panthers will still be searching for their first win when conference play opens. "This game with Alabama is about pride in ourselves, and our commitment to each other as teammates. We need to stay with our game plan and learn from it," Smith said as he concluded his post-game press conference.

15. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

16. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Game 5: Alabama 59 Georgia State 10. AJ McCarron spread 17 completions to eight different Alabama receivers led by Kenny Bell wit 5 grabs for 122 yards and 3 TD's. McCarron set the Alabama school record of 6 TD passes in one game breaking the 24 year old mark set by Gary Hollingsworth in November 1989 against Ole Miss. TJ Yeldon rushed for 109 yards on 13 carries and scored a TD also as 'Bama cruised to 38 first half points and cruised to their fifth straight win. Georgia State did manage to intercept McCarron once, and Ben McLane was 18 for 30 for 200 yards and TD along with 1 INT. Danny Williams and Albert Wilson each had 7 catches for the Panthers, with Williams hauling in the TD pass in the fourth quarter. The running game was almost non-existent for GSU as they gained 38 yards on 28 carries. With the non-conference schedule out of the way, the Panthers begin Sun Belt play next Saturday still looking for their first win when they host the Troy Trojans.

17. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

ronsmith67

Love what you're doing here so far, great writing. I suggest maybe formatting it so people don't miss out on it, because a lot of people get deadhead from one huge paragraph. Just break it up, a simple request but do what you do, it's a great read either way.

18. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Appreciate that, Marty. I just finished my master's degree last year, so I got a little lazy about my writing, but good idea Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Georgia State wins their first as a member of the FBS

Game 6: Georgia State 38 Troy 35

In a back and forth battle, the Panthers won their first game of the season in their Sun Belt opener. GSU used two quick turnovers by Troy to build a 14-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Trojans responded with a couple of TD's to tie the game with :42 remaining in the half. But, Georgia State went the length of the field and scored with :09 remaining to take a 21-14 lead into the locker room.

In the second hald, GSU scored early to regain the 14 point lead, but Troy chipped away again and tied it at 35 with just under 4 minutes remaining. A huge kick return by Albert Wilson gave the Panthers great field position. They used their power running game to plow down inside the five and called time-out with :02 remaining. Two straight Troy timeouts failed to ice Will Lutz as he hammered home the 20-yarder as time expired and the 17,142 cheered the GSU win.

Ben McLane was the player of the game for the Panthers as he masterfully ran the offensive attack. He was 16 of 22 for 194 yards and 1 TD and O interceptions. He also ran 18 times for 102 yards to keep the Trojan defense off balance. "This feels good," McLane said, "this was a team win, the defense got the early turnovers and we took advantage, then the offense drove it into field goal range to win it."

Coach Smith was pleased to get the monkey off their back especially at home. "Good win for the students here and the fans that have watched us at home this year. We had a close loss in the opener and then didn't play too well in the last two at home, so this is for the fans and the players." Smith said his team could enjoy it for the evening, but they will get back to work as they look ahead to the next opponent in the Sun Belt, a trip to Texas State. "I told the kids in the locker room to enjoy it tonight and be prepared to start breaking down the film tomorrow and getting ready for Texas State. The coaches will be looking at film and getting the game plan ready, we don't have too much time to celebrate," he concluded.

20. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

Game 7: Texas State 42 Georgia State 27 (1-6, 1-1)

The Panthers went down to Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos, TX and fell behind 21-0 in the second quarter after a scoreless first quarter. Texas State used two solid drives and a 77-yard TD run by Robert Lowe, who had nearly 200 yards rushing before the Panthers could muster a FG drive. "We needed six there instead of settling for 3," Coach Smith commented. Then the game took a turn for the worse. The Panthers got the ball back with 1:40 remaining in the half hoping for points and got greedy and QB Ben McLane threw an interception which was turned into 7 points by the Bobcats. 28-3 at the half, "was a killer for us. That one is on the coaching staff. 21-3 at the half could have been overcome, 28-3 was going to be difficult."

In the second half, the Panthers used their power running game and short passes to score but took nearly half the quarter to do so. "That's our offense, ball control move down the field in short chunks," Smith said. Texas State responded with a quick TD drive that pretty much took away any remaining doubts as to the outcome. To the credit of the Panthers, they kept playing and scored 10 points before the Bobcats responded with another quick TD.

In the fourth quarter GSU scored a TD on a nice read option run by McLane, and got he ball back trailing 42-27 with about 2 minutes to go but could not put together a scoring drive to attempt the onside kick. "This loss is on the coaching staff, we did not recognize early enough the defensive strategy of TSU, and fell behind by quite a bit. Once we made some adjustments we were better, but we have to do better for the kids," Smith concluded. "We'll learn from this and try to get better," he added as Georgia State travels to play the University of Louisiana-Monroe next Saturday.

21. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

It's a relief to see you losing so much to start, I feel like whatever difficulty and sliders you're playing with are pretty good. That said, hopefully you can continue to get some momentum and be able to contend for the Conference Championship in the next few seasons.

22. fantasyboi

roll off 5 in a row and get that 2nd star!

23. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

I'd be interested in knowing what slider set ur using as well....

24. ronsmith67

ronsmith67 Walk On

I'm using IBO's sliders from this forum: http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/ibos-heisman-sliders.99928/

I put them in yesterday so I don't have his latest update. You can see by the scores, the offense is not that bad, but the defense blows. I've read on this forum and others about the defense being broken, but I'm not going to be one of those whiner types. I've tried to adjust my strategies and such and use a ball control offense to keep my defense off the field. Georgia State's ratings are about the worst in the game, I think their defense is overall a 57 or a 60, so I should expect to give up a bunch of points and yards.

As far as the sliders are concerned, I had to have a set that would yield what I would call realistic results for a team that went 1-11 last year in the Colonial Athletic Association. I want to win games because I actually scheme, strategize and take advantage of good breaks when I get them as opposed to play on All-American and go 8-4. The goal was to play about 5 seasons in Dynasty, the length of my contract, and see if I could recruit, and game plan well enough to win the Sun Belt at some point. Not lower the settings and just win for the sake of it. So, as frustrating as it is to lose games, this truly feels real to me as far as what Georgia State will go through this year.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Stanimal032

Stanimal032 EMAW

Atta boy Smitty!