Smoker tips

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by HoundsOfHowl, Dec 8, 2013.

1. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

Bought a new smoker, its the green egg thing. I've only smoked boston butts in the ground, and i've done a few butts on a charcoal grill. Any tips or things to try for anything from the TSO guys...I'm a pretty good chef on other shit, just never really got to do any smoking. I've actually got a turkey that I'm gonna try for Christmas, tips on that would be great as well

2. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

The #1 mistake people make when smoking meats is they let the smoke flavor overpower the meat flavor. The smoke should only be used to enhance the meat flavor.

Personally, this is why I like to use either all Pecan or a 50/50 mixture of Pecan and either hickory, mesquite, or apple. Pecan adds the nice subtle smoke and the other three add a more aggressive smoke flavor.

3. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

well hell what do you know, I have a pecan tree in my yard, may be choppin some limbs off that bitch soon

• Like Like x 1
  4. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    The BGE is a little rich for my blood. In addition to what Chaotic said, get you some good rubs. Be creative. I enjoy spraying apple juice on ribs. When i made my last brisket, i combined beer and vinegar and used to spray it throughout. Check out the cooking thread....