Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by The Parrothead, Oct 18, 2011.

1. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

The Buckeyes played uninspired ball for the majority of the game, and Mississippi State played mistake-free ball at the same time.

Ohio State received the opening kickoff and steadily drove the field. Looking to punch it in on the opening possession, the Bulldog D stepped up and forced the field goal. Alexander hit the 25 yarder to put the Buckeyes up 3-0. Mississippi State would have the ball for the remainder of the quarter. At the end of 1, it's 3-0 Ohio State.

The Buckeyes would get the ball back and again the Bulldog D steps up. Alexander hits a 45 yard FG. Buckeyes 6, Bulldogs 0. On MSU's next possession, they drove the field nicely and cap it off with QB Murphy hitting WR Morrow on a play where the Buckeye CB went for the pick and missed. 7-6, MSU with 2:35 to go in the half. Ohio State would turn the ball back over to the Bulldogs and they'd move into a goal line situation. The OSU D stepped up this time, and MSU settles for a 19 yard FG. 10-6 MSU at the break.

The third quarter started with the teams trading punts before MSU starts driving. On a read option play, the entire OSU defense, half the bench, and 3/4 of the crowd goes running after the MSU HB. Too bad the QB kept the ball. Murphy scampers in from 35 yards out to put MSU up 17-6. The third quarter would come to an end.

After an MSU punt goes for a touchback, OSU realizes they need to get some points on the board in a hurry. Braxton Miller tosses one up that hits WR Verlon Reed in stride along the sideline. Reed tiptoes the boundary, then sprints upfield to complete the 80 yad TD play. OSU would go for 2 and come up short. 17-12 MSU with 6:56 left.

After a couple possession trades, MSU would find themselves in the red zone. The Buckeye defense stepped it up and pushed the Bulldogs back out, forcing the 44 yard FG. 20-12 MSU with 1:49 to go. It was at this point that the OSU offense finally realized it was game day. Moving the ball down the field with precision passing, OSU scores 42 seconds later on an 18 yard strike from Miller to TE Jeff Heuerman. 20-18, so the Buckeyes again go for 2. Just like last time, they come up short. It's 20-18 with 1:07 left, and OSU is out of timeouts. Out comes the kick team for the onside attempt. At the same time, out comes the MSU hands team. The kick is away and bounces off an MSU player! Only right to another MSU guy! Only he clangs it away, too! An OSU player dives and miraculously comes up with it! A couple of quick pass plays later and OSU is in the red zone. MSU has all their timeouts, and they're using them while OSU runs the ball. HB Rod Smith breaks a couple for decent gains, then somehow finds a hole and punches it in from 4 yards out with 31 seconds left. Up 24-20, OSU converts the 2 point conversion to go up 26-20. Murphy would throw an interception on the first play, sealing the deal for the Buckeyes.

Videos are on the dynasty wire. If I get time, I'll move them to this thread.

gg, smlVICTORIES53

Next up for OSU is an out of conference game against #7 Virginia Tech before returning to Big Ten play against Northwestern.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Wow major flub by miss state. I can imagine smalls in his voice getting pissed off lol

3. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Na, in the back of my mind I was wondering when the collapse was coming. Offensively we did what we set out to do. Def played above themselves for almost the entire game. It just felt like a break was coming and it did.