So, anyone got a job they like?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Colemanchu, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I work 3 days a week. I like my job and the company I work for is top notch but I have every Tuesday through Friday off and have trouble filling the time. So I'm going to take advantage of my company's tuition payback program and do some school shit.

Anybody have an enjoyable job that keeps them challenged on a daily basis? Also any random classes I should look into?

DirtyCashDylan, I know you own us all, no need to reply.

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Haha I was gonna come in here and say I want Dylan's job

But I actually have 2 jobs I really enjoy (outside of my 3rd job of being a college student, which blows) that I'm not sure others would enjoy that much. I work at this place called the Castle, and it's a sports club. I organize/facilitate hockey leagues, soccer leagues, boxing bouts, roller derby events, etc. And I play in a few of the leagues myself (hockey and soccer are my favorite). We also have a butt load of hi-def TVs scattered around the facility with sports on all the time, and have weekly events such as badminton and ping pong which are entertaining. It's a fun job where the work is somewhat fun as well. I also deliver pizzas part time, and let me tell you, this is not as bad a job as I thought it would be. I literally do nothing except drive, listening to music/talk radio/podcasts and smoking cigarettes while making about $15/hr when it's all said and done with tips. Both jobs are fun and easy, and make my life a LOT less stressful (which I need with school being so stressful lol)

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Yeah I have a job where I work 3 days a week and make good money. Really I'm just going to go to school because it's free and it will give me something to do on my days off. Basically there's not one thing out there that I want to do, so I'm basically hoping you guys can give me some insight into what I should look into and maybe I'll get lucky and find something I like.

4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Firefighter/Paramedic

Best job in the world.

Two years for the fire science degree and 1 year for my medic license. Good salary with excellent benefits.

Everyday is different and challenging. Downtime at the station beats any job......bar none. (even dylan's...........we have cinemax at the station)

• Like Like x 1
  5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

How about being a Ninja? That could be fun.

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

To me firefighting is like joining a frat...you think they're douches until you're in one, then it's fun as hell. I have a friend that just became a firefighter and he fucking loves it (and he works with his step-brother). He tells me how awesome of a job it is and how these guys will be his friends for life pretty much

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Ninja's have to have discipline. Not interested.

8. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Its definetly a brotherhood. You live together, work together........you depend on one another.

My brother-in-law is on my department, I call him a douche all the time.

9. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I love my job so much I do it on the side as well.

Software Developer
    The upside:
    • Constantly challenged
    • Always in demand
    • If you like to solve problems, it is fun.
    • The money is good (starting $50,000/year and up)
    The downside:
    • You have to be able to do it. That means either tons of practice or/college
    • Even after college, you don't really know how to do your job. Entry level mean 2 years experience.
    • Everyone thinks you want to fix their computer.
    • There are no women involved.
    :)

11. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I fuck, eat, drink, and do cocaine off hookers ass for a living.

FUN

12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Funny, you don't look like Michael Irvin.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Pray tell, what does Dylan do?

I like my job but it's just not something you get into easily, it's extremely expensive (for all the education) and then the money, though good, is not outstanding. Sometimes it amazes me that people make a living doing this. (appraising real estate)

14. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Being a Cisco network engineer, these 2 bolded bullet points are my biggest gripes. I'll also add to this that after the .dot bubble burst, pay has been poor in comparision to what it once was. However, being as I love my job, happinees is more important than money IMHO.

15. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

If I started driving now, how long would it take me to get there?

16. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I work as a Data Analyst for Citi Group processing passports. Easy as cake, and there are women everywhere, but I am married so its all window shopping for me. Funniest thing I have ever seen on a passport app was a guys name, Anal Salad. It doesn't sound like its spelled but if was funny to see come across my computer.

17. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Guess I'm third in nominating an IT position. Aside from the aforementioned, its a truly challenging and rewarding field with pretty good pay. I work for a small non-for profit with TON's of IT problems so my boss just gives me a few problems (this week its a new print server) and I go and try to fix them. I couldn't have asked for a better entry into the IT field.

18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i wont be happy till I have my own business.......but will I ever have the balls to jump off the easy/nonstressful/pays well/9-5. Dont know.

Cole your doing it right....if you read that book "Rich Dad, Poor dad" you realize that 90% of us are doing it all wrong/backwards. fuck

19. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I am a control systems engineer for an EPC (Engineering Procurement Construction) firm. All my experience is downstream petroleum work...

Upsides
    Pays well (my company starts college kids at 75k)
    challenging at times
    Tons of things to learn, so almost always something you havent done yet
    Very easy office environment (talk on cell phone, dont clock in or out, flexible with making up time)
    Can possibly get field assignments overseas or cool places and get paid extra to go there
    have a guaranteed salary, but also get paid extra hourly OT
    great benefits

Downsides
    sit in front of computer all day (for some this is downside)
    even though there is lots to learn and new things, sometimes you are stuck doing the same task for months at a time
    Job security can be tied into energy/oil market
    Some tasks can be very boring and repetitive
    difficult clients can make life hell

20. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

I officiate Full Time, I currently call High School FB, Basketball, Baseball,Softball. and I also call Div 3 Football. and this season I will also be a member of the SEC Officials. I love Sports since my playing and coaching days. Plus i love the fact I get to spend alot of time with my family. The absolute busiest seasons is Basketball and Baseball, cause when Basketball still continues Baseball meetings start in Jan and the Season Starts Right about March Madness Time. other then that I get a break when Baseball ends and Football meetings start in Aug.

21. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm an applications engineer for a large pump, mechanical seal and valve manufacturer. I work on the end user side with a focus on reliability. I spent my first year nested inside of our response center/manufacturing facility but now I'm inside of an allied customer's chemical plant. I'm in charge of all reliability with that customers rotating equipment and mechanical seals. The relationship between the customer and our office is really strong and they listen to our recommendations. Mechanical seals are sensitive devices that contain a lot of technology developed over a hundred years or so.

It's challenging and I get to put my hands on equipment instead of being stuck inside an office. It's about 65% field work and the rest is design and specifications. You have to possess incredible problem solving skills and then the ability to address issues with equipment with a technical and often financial solution to the problem. You also act as the liaison between your employer and the customer, so it has some added pressures. I can stay as busy as I want to out there. I can maintain the alliance or I can be proactive and get involved with as much stuff as I want. The pay is good and the opportunities are better.

The only real down side I have to deal with is being in front of a customer when they are pissed. Even though you may have solid logic as to why a situation is the way it is (or even why it's the customers fault), you have to take his bullshit. It's incredibly hard for me to do and luckily, like I previously mentioned, the relationship with the customer I work with is pretty solid.

22. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

companies like mine and engineers similar to what I do work with the vendor/supplier reps such as Drifter often.

Basically we both work for the client (typically petroleum or chemical company) and I am kind of like the middle man. We design the plant, and companies like Drifters supply the equipment that goes into that plant. Once the engineering and construction work is done on our side, the supplier then takes over the maintenance and warrantying of the equipment supplied.

23. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I'm a strip club DJ/MC.

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    How many times do I have to ask...can I create a private forum for you to post pictures?

25. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh, o.k. Maybe that rings a bell now that you mention it. I heard that kinda ruins strip clubs for a guy though. I guess I'm already over them myself but if I'm in Vegas and some friends suggest it, I'd at least be INTERESTED lol...