So is there a way to stop the curl routes?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by ItsAllAboutTheU, Jul 17, 2012.

1. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

I just played a game and was essentially beaten by this one route. The player would line up in Ace and either run curl flats and throw the left WR or if I shifted over to stop the curl he would just run up the middle. The play was virtually unstoppable in man coverage no matter what kind of adjustments I made. He was LSU and I was Ohio State. I know the game's been out for a week but has anyone found a good defense to counter this route?

2. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

I think if you are in a zone, the cb will jump the route. I only know because I've thrown a few picks while running a curl route :(

3. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

Yeah, I tried that but as soon as he saw it was zone he would take off an a QB run and for some reason Mettenberger was faster than my linemen and linebackers so he'd always gain about 3-4 yards at a minimum.

4. Cheez

lobby game?

If so, that shit is the reason most of us dont play lobby games online anymore

5. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

It was in an online dynasty that I'm doing with some of the young kids I coached in JV football. It's just for fun until rosters come out so I'm not upset I lost, but I am upset there was nothing I could do to stop such a simple offense.

6. Cheez

Since there is no threat of going deep, and you're doing something just for fun - here's what I'm thinking.

Cover 2 - hot route a LB and a Safety to spy the QB. Force him to do something else with the football.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Run some blitz/zone combos and press your corners. Specifically, try to get some hook or buzz routes out there.

8. Nathan Lowe

Nathan Lowe Walk On

Cover 2 with both CBs playing yellow zones, not the flat (blue).

9. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

If you run a 3-4, the Cover 2 out of some of those formations (but not Odd for some... odd reason) will have Safety over the top, Corner in flats and then the OLBs running buzz (?) routes to be right there and pick it off or at least knock it down.

Now if only the two MLBs running the hook routes didn't sprint back 20 yards, you'd be set against the QB runs as well.

Also, for myself, instead of making a separate thread I just want to ask this: How in the HELL do you stop the draw? Doesn't seem to matter the formation, but this play slays me every single time. There've been times where I know it's coming, pinch the DL, user a safety up into the box and still got gashed for 9 yards on the damn thing. Any thoughts?

10. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

The buzz zones seem to be broken to me. Whenever I call a play with those (usually cover 4) they buzz guys cover the flats instead of further down field like they're supposed to.

11. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think I'm going to try and play with a buddy later today and run some of the hook zone blitz combos with different plays assigned to spying the QB and see what kind of results I get. I'll try and test out that draw too. Oh and I was running a base 4-3 defense but I've started to get my base personnel to run my 3-3 Stack so maybe I'll have better results with that.

12. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

You gotta blitz to stop the draw. I prefer around the edge since the LBs will be focused on getting to the backfield.

And to stop curls, Cover 2 Sink is a good play. Try spotlighting one of the receivers too; guys will usually throw a curl to the short side of the field since it's a shorter throw.

But in all honestly, if you time a curl right it's hard to beat anyway since technically a DB isn't supposed to know it's coming. The only way they could make a play on it is if you're in zone, or possible if you press in a 2 man under.

13. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Cover 2 kills the curls, as the CB seems to sit on the curl and will sometimes ignore the guy in the flats. But if I'm playing you and I know you are running man in this years game you will see a lot of curl routes. That's why you have to change up your defensive calls and be unpredictable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

That's where backing off, using base align, pressing, showing blitz in certain situations, etc. come in.

15. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Aye. But if you pair them with a CB in the flats (ala a 3-4 Cover 2) problem solved. Or if there is no one in the flats when the curl is run (rare but some plays have it.)

16. JAS19ILLINI

JAS19ILLINI Walk On

What exactly is Base Align anyways?

17. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Opposed to the team 'disguising' their coverage, it puts them all in the spots they were in on the Play's Play Art. So LBs back in their spot, CBs on the correct side of the field, etc. etc.

18. JAS19ILLINI

JAS19ILLINI Walk On

Ahhh, much thanks.

19. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

How do you base align in this year's game? In previous games it was "Y->right d-pad." This year that doesn't have the same functionality.

20. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Y -> Right on the L-JS

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Not home at the moment...if I have a safety covering a receiver on the opposite side of the field that will move him over?

22. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

It should? I just know it aligns the play as you see it on the play art. He may still be covering the guy, but instead of coming up to the line or what not, he'd be back in his regular position.

23. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

Anybody know if adjusting your Zone Coverage to aggressive this year works helps any? Last year if someone did this to you then an aggressive zone would cause them to jump the routes.

And thanks for the info Marty I didnt realize that they had changed the man align this year.

24. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I didn't notice it causing guys to jump more routes in '12. From what I saw it only worked as advertised by making guys move their zones closer or further from the LOS.