So this happened to me Tuesday night...

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by aarondramp, Aug 9, 2012.

1. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

Serious FRAT warning.

Me and the wife are watching some Olympics after the kids go to bed. As usual, she is about to fall asleep on the couch around 11:00, so I tell her let’s go ahead and go to bed – she’s up multiple times a night with the baby, so she needs to sleep.

We get upstairs and she goes right to sleep. I read for a little bit and around midnight decide I don’t really want to go to sleep yet, so I go downstairs to play NCAA. Right before halftime, I hear my daughter is up, so I go and rock her to sleep, so my wife doesn’t have to get up right after going to sleep. I get her back to sleep and head back downstairs. About 10 minutes later, I hear a noise coming from the kitchen. I think it’s the ice maker and keep playing. I hear it again and am wondering what’s going on. I look in, but because I am lying down in the floor, I can’t really see anything. A little bit later, I hear it again and think that it sounds like the back door, so I get up and walk around the corner and see that the back door is about a foot open.

Now, here’s where your mind starts processing a ton of thoughts in a small amount of time. For about a tenth of a second, I think, “How did my wife walk past without me hearing her, and why is she going out the back door.” I then hear a voice at the back door say, “Oh shit!” At this point, I realize what’s going down and for some reason I clapped my hands (I don’t know why it was instinct to do something that would scare a dog) crazy loud – hard enough that my right hand was swollen and still hurting hours later. I then stretched my arms out to the side and yelled “WHAT?! WHAT?!” (somewhat like this but much louder, meaner, and much, much whiter).

By the time I got to the door a few seconds later, they were gone, but looking back, I wish I had chased them for at least a little bit, so I could know what they look like. Because it was so dark outside, I didn’t see anything.

The most disturbing part is that the deadbolt was locked and the picked it open without leaving any marks. The police said it seemed like they had a key or were a locksmith – although a quick google search showed me you can do it with two bobby pins in about 30 seconds. The police dusted the door for prints and also took the flashlight that they dropped when they saw me, so hopefully something turns up. They also hit up a few unlocked cars nearby, which makes me think they didn’t have a key to our place; we just happened to be the house they chose. Just in case, we changed the locks yesterday, put an extra safety lock that can only be opened from the inside, and activated the alarm system. Also, since my father-in-law strongly exercises his 2nd amendment rights, a fire arm will be at our place by tonight.

2. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

That is fucking scary. This is why we should play NCAA football, to prevent people from breaking into our homes at night.

But for real, glad you, the wife and the baby are unharmed. Hopefully it was just a random hit and you don't have to worry anymore.

3. aarondramp

I shouldn't have to worry any more. They should now be worried. My father-in-law has about 40 guns, so he told me I could come by tonight and take my pick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Wow aaron. Glad you and yours are all ok. This kind of shit is scary. I've been there. I had my dorm broken into while I was sleeping, and the bastards had the gall to reach over me and steal my wallet and phone.

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Dam glad you're alright. That's just some scary shit to know if there were people breaking into your house.

6. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Do you have one of those home protection laws? (So you can shoot trespassers etc) They just passed that in Wisconsin last year and hearing your story makes the law seem more reasonable. Although what are the odds of lightning striking twice?

7. aarondramp

You would think that they wouldn't come back, but I was so messed up in the head, we didn't stay at home that night. I had the thought that they were able to get in and could again. Also, what if they don't know that I didn't see them and came back with violent intentions.

I just looked it up for North Carolina. Here is a subsection on home burglaries that covers acceptable self defense. It looks like I would be fine as long as I fear that they could hurt me. They give extra clearance if it is during an unlawful entry. With three kids and a wife in the house, I can't imagine a jury convicting me unless I chased them down the street and shot them in the back and then finished them off while they were down.

That's another really disturbing part. They went through our van, so they had to see 3 car seats and decided to enter anyways. It's unbelievably brazen that they would enter a house when two vehicles are there.

8. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Brazen or stupid. Glad your okay man.

9. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Dead men tell no tales. A saturday night special for a drop gun as an extra testimony for self defense works wonders as well.

10. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

This is one of the greatest things about Texas. You can kill a trespasser in your yard and in your neighbor's yard

• Like Like x 4
  11. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Damn Aaron that shit is crazy. I have never been big into guns (seen too much bad shit happen to people) but with the crazy ass world we live in I'm starting to be more open to the idea. I've always said I'd take my chance with anyone straight up but not a lot of straight up these days it seems.

Speaking of which, anyone have suggestions on a good home defense starter gun?

12. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I could give you suggestions on plenty of gun but make sure you go to a gun shop with an indoor range and test out some of the guns, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with weapons. But the easy answer is get a 12 gauge shotgun and by some tactical rounds that don't penetrate walls if you have other people in your house. Shotguns are fairly cheap, there isn't a waiting period to buy it and it's hard to miss someone with them in your house. IMO, best thing for home defense for the normal person. If you want any more specifics feel free to ask.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Yeah he's a good guy to talk to on this...lol

14. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

... or you could just get a home security system.

15. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

honestly you'd be surprised how easy it is to break into a house if you wanted to. a buddy of mine in high school could pick damn near any lock in about 30 seconds. he wasn't a criminal or anything - just one of those people who's curious about how things work so they experiment on stuff.

personally, I became a wiz at breaking into my own home through a window (locked or not) because of all the times I forgot my house key and nobody was home to let me in.

16. JFunk34

Yes I would recommend that as well. But hopefully that guy who doesn't give a shit about that alarm doesn't kill you before the cops get there because you won't turn it off.

17. aarondramp

Well, I got a gun from my father-in-law this weekend. We also have a security system turned on now and got some extra locks that can only be undone from inside.

My father-in-law opened his gun safe and told me I could take my pick of guns. He was suggesting several big guns, but I told him just a hand gun that could get off several shots quickly would be good. I ended up selecting an FN Herstal 5.7. Here's what it looks like. I like the fact that it is crazy difficult to cock back (so I don't have to worry about the kids doing it), and it holds 20 bullets at one time. It also has very little recoil.

He of course gave me bullets that will go through kevlar, so that I could shoot throw walls. All of the bedrooms are upstairs, so I can't imagine having to shoot it while upstairs with the precautions we have in place now. I would be downstairs before they could get upstairs.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

For home safety, I don't think you can get much better than a shotgun. The sound of the pump alone will scare the shit out of most burglars.

Tip: Load a blank as the first shot, then real bullets after that. In case you do get robbed, firing a blank in the general direction of the burglar will cause them to freeze or flee, and you won't have a dead body on your conscience. And in case the blank doesn't stop them, now you have the real shit ready to go on the next pump.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

wow... that's something I would have never thought of. That's a great idea.

20. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

An old trick my uncle taught me

21. JFunk34

Very nice pistol. I would always recommend having a plan in place for the worst case scenario so it seems like you've at least thought about it so good on you for that. The hope of every gun owner is to never have to use it for real but it's good to know you have it if you need it. Make sure you take that to the range and get comfortable firing it and make sure the zero is good for you. Also let your wife get some time with it if she ever spends time home alone. Or possibly think about getting her a smaller gun for her. As far as loading, firing and safeties go they are so sophisticated these days it is very difficult to have an accident like that. Although they do happen of course it is just very unlikely.

This is actually a very tricky subject. A couple of things to think about here; blanks don't cycle gas operated semi-automatic weapons so keep that in mind, you would need to eject that blank after, not an issue for pump action though, also one thing I tend to remind people is don't point a gun at something you're not willing to kill and don't pull the trigger unless you're ready for it to die. But I can see the logic behind the blank just remember if he does have a gun be ready to fight. He either is completely comfortable firing back and will kill you in a second if given the chance. Or he was carrying it as a deterrent but now he fears for HIS life and fires at you in an attempt to save his own ass. Fight or flight. BEST CASE scenario, he doesn't have a gun at all and either balls up like a baby and pisses himself or runs out of the house but prepared for the worst. Just keep these things in mind when you're thinking about how you would defend your house.

22. aarondramp

That's what my father-in-law suggested, too. However, the gun is a long ways from the door that they came through. They would never hear the pump.

23. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    thanks for the advice. I have a buddy who has a good deal of experience with guns so I will get him to go along with me. Been a long time since I fired a gun.

24. OneDfour

OneDfour Walk On

I still would say not guilty. I'm sorry to hear that, A couple months ago I had 2 young Idiots try to carjack me in my hometown with 4 cars in the yard, it's a jarring thing I am glad your family is ok.