So, um, yeah, this is awkward, but...

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by aarondramp, Jan 31, 2013.

1. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

blLL flo Darkwing UofCWildcat jello1717 niuhuskie224 Hokie Effect

You may have noticed that I was pretty absent last season and haven’t really put forth much effort to anything around here (no more pick ‘em or recruiting updates, simming half of my games last year, etc.). I kinda took last season off because I was pretty burned out on NCAA. I only played a few of my games and didn’t do all that I usually do with recruiting. I figured starting a new season with a new outstanding QB (96 SPD, 98 ACC, 79 BTK, 93 ELU, 91 THP) and a new recruiting class would get me excited again. It hasn’t.

At this point, I really just don’t even care about playing the games or recruiting. Recruiting was always the aspect that I loved most about NCAA, but it’s became a chore for me. I always loved the first day after the offseason and running my recruiting macro to find gems and targets, and this year I just don’t even care the slightest bit. So it’s probably time that I retire from NCAA. If they can make some major overhauls (more than just the infinity engine) then I might pick it up again next year.

@dakota - thanks for referring me to the league and Masler – thanks for giving me a shot. It is without a doubt the most enjoyable and best OD I have been a part of, and it’s been great to be here. I’m sorry to bail like this, but you can probably find someone that would enjoy this team (I’m assuming it’s a top 3 team in terms of talent despite my mass exodus) more than I currently do. It would be oustanding if Big Suge Knight wanted to come back and take over the Yellow Jackets, but I don't know if he has any interest in video games right now.

I even recruited a few extra linebackers last year in case my interest didn’t increase, so that someone could move to the 4-3 from the 4-2-5. Make sure whoever comes in just keeps the current coach, so they can have a decent coach prestige to compete with all of you guys. I will go in tonight and make sure the playbooks are good, so that no one has to deal with the muddle when playing Georgia Tech.

Thanks to everyone else for welcoming me in and making this league such an enjoyable one for me.

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Well it sucks to see you go. We didn't play often, but our games were some of my most enjoyable (and I'm sure I'll never forget our first one!). Take care and hope to see you around.

3. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Damn =/ sad to see ya go. Hardly played ya but you always had good teams in Atlanta.

4. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Sorry to see you go man.

Any chance the rest of us can get that macro... lol

5. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Aaron, sad to see you go. But I totally understand how you feel, I am hanging on here myself. This version is not holding my interest either.

6. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

This has been tough. A team change helped me, any chance it helps you???

It would be sweet if we could do Madden and NCAA next year as a group but I don't know what 8 months from now looks like.

7. aarondramp

Other than last year's game, our games were always fun and close. The first one was just absurd.

Here are the basics, download the prospects, then on the dynasty wire, go to the search, and keep dragging down until you have all 2,710 prospects. Highlight all of them and copy them into excel. Then Copy that/paste special/values on another tab to get rid of all of that extra stuff. If you want to go through by each state and select each state's prospect then you can do that, but it takes a while.

Use this attached spreadsheet to then combine the information however you would like. The first tab is what last year's spreadsheet looked like after combining the info. The second tab has the following attributes: SPD (40 time) and STR (bench press) for everyone, BTK (squat) for skill players, RBK (squat) for offensive lineman, and TAK (squat) for defensive players. If they are less than advertised, I marked them red; if they are better, then I marked them red. I bolded the ones that are really high or low.

If I see a guy with B speed, but I know that it's 96, I'm going after him. Same thing with a LB that has C tackling, but I know it's in the mid 80's. Often, guys that have higher speed ratings than listed are better in other areas, too. It works best with offensive lineman because you know their STR and RBK. It isn't perfect but you do at least have a decent bit of their information.

It just becomes old to keep doing the same recruiting over and over and then play so many games against the CPU.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  8. aarondramp

I think that the only way that would help is if everyone else was taking over terrible teams, too. Building up is fun. I am just done with this version, though. I might have the most talented team in the country, and I'm still burned out.

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

aarondramp

I understand what you are going through man. I have more fun playing Road to Glory and my offline Dynasty than I do online. The extended losing streak vs users is really taking its toll on me and really preventing me from being a competitive team. I only stick around because I don't want The E to die, we have a great group of guys and for some reason I can't bring myself to hang it up. If we have a slot for NCAA 14 you are more than welcome to come back. Good luck in all you do and don't be afraid to stop by. Oh...and watch your back in TMFL, I think we play this year

10. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Masler

Would it be worth while to consider, to get more user games and just make it a ton more fun, going to 2 leagues of only the 6 of us in each.

I know this is way off the map, but at least we would have 5 conference user games and then another (hopefully 2) OOC User games? That gives us 7 of 12 user games. Is that better than what we have now? Or even going to one conference? I know then the NC and Bowl games would suck but at least the 12 game season becomes a challenge again.

11. Masler

Masler Moderator

Well we have ACC and Big XII now with 6 in each, 3 in each division. Did you mean to say 6 per division?

12. jello1717

My team is better, but yours is close.

13. aarondramp

I know I was a 99 OVR and 99 on offense and defense last year. Am I not that high any more?

14. jello1717

You're 99/99/99 as am I and UVA, but of course there's different degrees of 99s. We both have the same number of 90+ guys (an amazing 21, way more than most other teams) but my 90s are better than yours (by average). Also, the average OVR of all of my guys is higher than yours.

15. jello1717

So I already do everything that you do except that I have to manually (via search/replace) convert the bench, 40, squat scores and I don't color code those guys that are better than expected. You said you have a macro so I'm assuming this macro does the converting/color coding for you, but I couldn't see it in your spreadsheet (it all looked manually entered to me).

How do you do the conversion/color coding?

16. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Yes, or take the conferences down to 2 6 team conferences. Just a thought.

17. aarondramp

The color coding is manual. I had issues saving macro's across workbooks because they are all saved in my personal.xlsx spreadsheet rather than spreadsheet specifics so they can be used in different spreadsheets. The macro was something that I did where it recorded my actions and then repeated those actions. I'm not a programmer, so I didn't know how to program it.

Basically, it would replace each position with a number, and then put in the formula for SPD, STR, etc., but there were some "if" functions based on that number, so if the player wasn't a certain position, then the formula would result with nothing in the cell. I would then copy/paste special/values, so that the formulas wouldn't get screwed up when sorting or anything like that. That's why you don't see the formulas.

I used that chart in the second tab on a tab that was Sheet2, and then would put this in the second speed column:
    =VLOOKUP(J2,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE). I recorded myself putting that in and dragging it down, and it would then do that every time I ran that macro. The other formulas were only slightly different. This was where the position number was in C2, and wanted it to look at the chart in G and H. =IF(C2=3,VLOOKUP(L2,Sheet2!G:H,2,FALSE),"") These may not match exactly because I copied and pasted that Attributes tab earlier. That wasn't the actual tab from my macro. That gives you an idea if you want to replicate it.

Once I did it once, the only thing that I had to do each time was download the file, select the players from the wire, paste them, run the macro, and then color code.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jello1717

I'll play around with it. The color coding should be easy enough using conditional formatting. I'll give it a shot.

19. aarondramp

Conditional formatting would've made more sense because I wasn't always consistent with my color coding.

20. Masler

Masler Moderator

It's an idea. Bring this up again closer to the end of this season and we'll take a vote.

21. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Will do. At worst this spices things up for the short term.

22. jello1717

Thanx again for this. I've toyed with it off and on these past couple of days and I've got it set up nicely. I never thought about (or even knew about) lookup tables and this makes things so much easier. I used to manually search/replace to do all the 40/squat/str stats. Now I just paste their measurables and I instantly get them converted. I then copy/paste special them into columns in my main tab that have already been conditionally formatted to show me guys that are > +5 or < -5 than advertised.

Daddy like!

23. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

What have you done... WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!??!?!?