So....Who would you like to play as?

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Nautica, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Now that we decided to eliminate 6 star programs, here is the fun question to ask:

What teams would you want now(top 3)?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

We're not using the big-12 or ACC!!!!!!!! (unless they're switched for the SEC) my .02 anyways.

My top teams under the new format are:

Arizona State & Northwestern (both #1s)

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I don't have a problem doing a draft and I think we should randomize the order. We're changing our selection process, going away from favorite teams, so we should have all start from even ground. Combine that with the fact that half the league is new, just seems fair to me.

The other option is a top 3 list and hopefully there aren't any conflicts.

4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

[quote="dakota7, post: 590923"

The other option is a top 3 list and hopefully there aren't any conflicts.[/quote]

I think we should narrow it down doing it this way. If there is a conflict, then JC could just flip a coin.

I don't mind doing a draft either and I agree that if we do have one, it should be randomized.

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

:5stars:
    • Notre Dame
    :4stars:
    • Texas A&M
    • South Carolina
    :3stars:
    • Arizona (Number 1 Choice)
    • Mississippi State

That's about all i want in the manner of teams.

6. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I have been thinking about it and I'm not going to take a 5* team as I see it being unfair with people having to take 3 and 4 star teams. So here is how my Top 3 by prestiege would go:

:4stars:
    • Stanford
    • Arkansas
    • South Carolina
    :3stars:
    • Arizona State(my top choice right now)
    • Mississippi State
    • Rutgers/Cal

7. GoGators

You crack me up! You see it unfair to take a 5 star program but yet you list #3 Stanford, #13 So Carolina, #18 Arkansas, #19 Miss St, #25 ASU. So why not just take a 5 star?

The only selections that make it fair to people taking 3 or 4 stars is #55 Cal, but even then you have California as your recruiting hotbed.

I don't mean to bust your balls here, just being honest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I have no clue what the preseason rankings are and if Stanford is ranked #3, the I don't want them.

Besides I am looking at it from a recruiting standpoint. UGA, UM, ND are still recruiting powerhouses(UGA and UM having HUGE advantages as soon as they get to that 6*) and by year 4 it will not be fair for someone who takes a 3 star team and can't land recruits even close to 5* teams. It's just no fun, I switched from rutgers in RMG because I got sick and tired of getting beat by less skilled opponents because they had and A to A+ rated team compared to my B rated team.

The talent difference between a 3 and a 5 after season 4 is pretty big.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

The rankings are in the same chart from which you're pulling prestige numbers.

10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

couldn't see that yesterday, and I just noticed that. The main page is partially cut off when I view it from my web browser.

11. jello1717

Here are the teams available (assuming the same conferences):

4* and below:
    BIG TEN
    Legends:
    4* MSU JC
    3* Northwestern
    2* Minnesota

Leaders:
    3* Illinois
    3* Purdue
    2* Indiana

PAC12
    North:
    4* Stanford
    3* Oregon St
    3* Washington
    3* Cal
    1* WSU

South:
    4* Utah
    3* Arizona UofC
    3* Arizona St
    2* Colorado
    2* UCLA

SEC
    West:
    4* Arkansas
    3* MSU
    3* Ole Miss

East:
    4* S. Carolina
    4* Tennessee
    3* Kentucky
    2* Vanderbilt

5* and below:
    BIG TEN
    Legends:
    5* Iowa
    5* Michigan
    5* Nebraska
    4* MSU JC
    3* Northwestern
    2* Minnesota

Leaders:
    5* Wisconsin
    3* Illinois
    3* Purdue
    2* Indiana

PAC12
    North:
    4* Stanford
    3* Oregon St
    3* Washington
    3* Cal
    1* WSU

South:
    4* Utah
    3* Arizona UofC
    3* Arizona St
    2* Colorado
    2* UCLA

SEC
    West:
    4* Arkansas
    3* MSU
    3* Ole Miss

East:
    5* Georgia
    4* S. Carolina
    4* Tennessee
    3* Kentucky
    2* Vanderbilt

12. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

The Big Ten is stacked with 5* teams and the Pac has none

13. dakota7

IF we used 4 star and below, I think we would need to revisit conference choices. There just aren't many 4 star and below in the big ten.

14. jello1717

...and do you think JC would go for that?

15. dakota7

I have no idea. Bottom half of the big ten is bad, is my point.

16. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Hey, lay off my goph's..

17. dakota7

Once we're up by 70 we lay off the gas.

18. jello1717

I agree 100%. My point was that I'm sure that JC won't give up Sparty and this fact, combined with how bad the rest of the non-5* schools are, means that we'll likely go with 5* and below and not 4* and below.

19. jello1717

No you don't. You just run out of time on the clock (and you'd probably go for 2 if you were only up by 68 to make it a round 70 instead of 69).

• Like Like x 1
  20. dakota7

I stand corrected.

I think even within the 5 star programs, there are some big discrepancies, 5 star Florida state or Miami is a lot different than 5 star Wisconsin, Iowa or even Georgia. Having that in state recruiting base is a huge advantage. I think we can include the 5 stars from our current conferences and be okay.

21. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I'm at the point where I either want to be ND or we go back to allowing 6* teams. The big ten is the only conference that is stacked with 5 star teams. SEC has 1-5* and 3-4*, and the Pac has only 2-4*.

The only other thing I can think of would be to swap out the SEC for the ACC. Like the big ten, the acc is stacked with 5* teams.

edit*
    I have delt with taking a 3 star team against a bunch of 5 and 6 star teams and after year 4 and 5, there is a massive gap in talent between the teams and is no fun. If I had realized before had how bad it would have been I would have not taken them, and eventually led to me leaving that league all together(because a couple of people acted like little girls over me switching). I don't want to be stuck in that situation again.

22. dakota7

The 6 star vote was pretty clear, so I wouldn't count on that. I don't understand what the problem is. Is it some of us having a 5 star and others having 4 stars?

23. dakota7

There's always going to someone with an advantage, no matter what prestige we start at. Let's say 2 star programs, Rice is got a big advantage over Marshall or Idaho. What can you do?

24. GoGators

This has been my point, not all 5 star programs are equal. A 5 star program in a recruiting hotbed like a Miami or FSU for example has a much bigger advantage than a 5 star program like Wisconsin. The only schools that can truly recruit nationally are the 6 star programs and even then you need the big time pitches like Florida, Texas, USC, Ohio St in order to pull guys out of states where you don't have a pipeline. That's why FSU and Miami would be strong as 5 stars because they still have a HUGE talent pool to recruit from regionally.

On the other hand you look at programs like Wisconsin and Iowa, they are 5 star schools that are hindered by their location. They can both recruit well regionally but there's not a TON of talent in their backyards. Therefore they need to develop pipelines in Florida, Texas and California and then they're trying to recruit nationally against schools with better pitches (this was the reason I thought Oregon would be fun even as a 5 star program).

I think we eliminate all 6 star programs and all 5 star programs from the BIG 3 states (Florida, Texas & California). That would mean schools like Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin would still be available in the Big 10.

And also, just for full disclosure, right now w/o seeing rosters I'm leaning towards the following:

1 - Arizona St / Northwestern

If I can't get either of those:

2 - Purdue / Colorado

25. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Like I have said before, even if there isn't a starting talent difference between a 3 and a 5 star team, the recruiting advantage of the 5 star teams is enough that at year 4 and 5 there is a massive gap. I'm not trying to be sour about it, but I left RMG because I was sick of getting beat on after season 4 by everyone else who took 5 and 6 star teams. I did switch teams but a couple of guys there acted like girls about it, which killed it for me and I left.

I don't want to be stuck in that situation again.