Some New Rules and Such

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Some New Rules and Such

OK, in the next few days, I'm going to be updating the league rules and expectations, to reflect a few changes. I think some of you might like them.

1: Users will play 2 games against other users a year. That will be our default setting. Some may play a third, if they play a championship game, or if they request it.

(We're not going hyper-competitive here. I just think a little more contact will help, especially if we're going to keep the sliders a little weaker than I would like.)

2: Advances will happen on Sunday and Thursday nights, at 11pm EST.

3: User games will be scheduled in the game scheduling forum, so the process can be tracked, in case one or the other user is at fault for not being available.

4: In the event that a user is not available to play, or simply does not show, their team will be set to auto 2 hours before the advance (that's 9pm). In the case that fault can not be determined, the game will be simmed.

(What this means is - if we schedule in the forums, don't schedule games at the last moment, and make an effort to communicate, you will have no issues. But if I can't see clearly who did what, or who got in touch with who, it'll be a sim. Preference will be given to whoever I determine to be trying the hardest to get it in. Family issues will, of course, be considered.)

Pretty much everything else will be the same.

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I likey. Now let's have fun.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm also going to be keeping my own counsel on issues like difficulty, scheduling, rules, and other stuff. I think I may have caused some of the turnover in the past by making too many changes based on the opinions of the outspoken members. I'll be keeping this stuff closer now. Doesn't mean I won't listen; I just won't be moving so quickly, so often, or checking with people as much before I make the changes I deem necessary. No big deal, really, but probably the right way to go.

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Archie, I think increasing the slider difficulty was your baby. I supported it because I liked the challenge, but unless something really f-cked up goes down, I'm always going to make the best of it and play on. I'm not sure how the others took it, though, as the losses seemed to ruffle some feathers. Then, of course, the season file got messed up, leading to a re-start ... and that's noone's fault, but I think that messed with the league flow more than anything else.

My point? I'm not sure anything in particular can pin-point the reason for such turnover, and I certainly don't think the "outspoken members" deserve the blame. I may be opinionated, but I'm arguably the least likely to bail, also. I'll play fast, slow, or in between, as long as it's what the group wants.

I think a league that advances every 48 hours can work and has a lot of advantages. I think two advances a week can work, too. But most importantly, a league needs a group of guys that love to do this - post articles, put together recruiting up dates, etc. We just may have had some guys who preferred to play their game and go back to their life.

Anyway, making changes less quickly makes sense. And I'm fine with you acting more independently. I just don't want the active members who had what's best for the league at heart being blamed for members bolting.

5. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

Sounds solid.