Some PS3 tech support anyone?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by DJDunn6, Aug 10, 2010.

1. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Some PS3 tech support anyone?

So it really looks like my ps3 is acting up. I have been blaming servers and ea but I think it is the system now. At least 75% of the time my game just locks up online or off. It was doing it mostly with NCAA but tonight I put in the new madden and the same thing. It is a fat boy about 5+ years old. I have read around that sometimes a new firmware download causes this. Any advise out there? Are the newer PS3's backwards compatible? Do I just get a refurb? Any info from you guys will be appreciated not sure what to do I can not have this with the season almost here. I also can not really tell my wife I need a new PS3 either right now. Started the first week of NCAA and there was a firmware update in there somewhere. Also ironic that it started when I got home from vacation and also my sub blew on my sound system wonder if there was a storm? Sorry to babble not happy at all...

2. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

It would seem that either the blu ray is starting to go or the lens needs cleaning anyone ever do this themselves?

3. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I did on a PS2. Im not sure how to do a PS3...

4. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

plenty of Youtube's on how to fix yr PS3 yrself. I've done it myself when my laser went out a few years ago, I've had mine 6 yrs and no problems like what was mentioned earlier.

5. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Well I took it apart as shown in a repair guide video cleaned it up and now nothing reads at all. Maybe it was on its way out and that put it over the edge? So I must decide whether to order a new laser for around 45-50 dollars or replace the unit. The PS3 works just does not read any disk and gives no error message about it.

6. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

well you already have it apart, spend hte 60 instead of the 300 for a working system

7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Good luck, just make sure your game is ready to go by the time we play on Thanksgiving...

8. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Haha oh I will be waiting for you and fireman Ed I owe you one for sure. I will have this resolved this weekend. The new blu ray drive takes 4-5 days but I am going to borrow my buddies PS3 for the week on Sunday at the latest.