Some Quick Notes (Please Read and Reply)

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Hey guys, great start to this file! Congratulations to Penn State and Miami for really spicing things up over the last few weeks by securing huge upsets that should really launch their programs to a new level. We've got some amazing recruiting battles in the fold, and a platter of highly-anticipated user games coming down the pike. Can't wait to see how this season pans out, and I have no doubt that we have the right core in place to take this several seasons.

With that being said, there are a few things that we need to be cognizant of to keep this as SIM, and enjoyable as possible for everyone. Below are a few things that I'd appreciate for everyone to take note of moving forward. Nothing here is directed to anyone in particular, rather this is coming through my own observation and feedback from just about everyone in the league.

Varied Play Call
    I think that we're doing a very good job of this for having a number of members who haven't been in CL before. But here's a few things that we should keep to a minimal level
    • Press coverage: No problem with you playing press, but you shouldn't be playing press coverage on every down
    • Show Blitz: Again, you shouldn't be showing blitz every down. Mix both of these up and give your opponent different looks
    • Read Option: At most you should be running this 2-4 times per game. There are other ways to get your QB involved in the run game. The Read Option should also not be used on 3rd and less than 5, or in Goal-to-go situations. It's just way to much of a money play in those areas
    • 5 Wide formations: 3rd-and-passing situations are not an invitation to go 5-wide every time. Feel free to mix it in, but mix in other looks on obvious passing downs
    Red-shirting
    All of you read and confirmed that you understood the redshirt rules. Please make sure that you insert the guys who aren't redshirting into the lineup at some point this season. If they never see the field in some way shape or form, the game will automatically redshirt them. Violators will see scholarship reductions next year. This is your responsibility

Coaching Trees
    By now some people are going to start leveling up. Do not spend any additional points in your coaching tree. Unfortunately, the guys that left and rejoined the dynasty cannot level up due to a bug in the game. This is something that I foresaw, and this is why we all start at level 20.

Scheduling Games
    Let's make a more concerted effort to scheduling exact times for your user games. Too often I'm seeing people say "Hey I'll be around tomorrow afternoon" and then they leave their opponent in the dark until they're ready to play. If you don't know the exact time you're open, that's OK, but give a range so that we can be a little more courteous to our opponents.

For CPU games, if you are going to hold up the advance, you need to let me know ASAP and what time you'll be playing, or I will advance.

Let me know if you have any comments, questions or concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jbek

Jbek Walk On

Agreed on all accounts.

Really excited to see what happens down the stretch. I get a chance to go 2 for 2 against #1 undefeated teams this season next week against jandy . Then things would get Realllly wierd.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jbek

Jbek Walk On

Also, not only is it SIM to mix up press/show blitz on defense, it is also beneficial. I know that if I am playing an opponent who all game doesn't show blitz, and then on a crucial 3rd and 6 in the 3rd quarter finally does show blitz, I will probably audible to a quick slant or attack the flats thinking that they are definitely going to bring the blitz... and if they drop into a cover 2 sink or a mid smoke, im probably in for a sack or interception, incompletion at best. Just little things like that to keep the dynamic chess match nature of the game in full swing. This game does a great job at balancing most play calls. But there certainly are some money plays outside of the read option that could warrant a discussion of enforced limitation. Perhaps we could open a dialogue on that. Same can be said for broken plays as well. I think most of us have played the game long enough to know what these are in regards to our own styles/playbooks, but in never hurts to share that knowledge here.

Also wanted to add

Shifting your D line around every play, sometimes multiple times in one pre snap, is unrealistic. You can get the same effect, or I'd argue a better effect, by slanting your D line blitzes direction. Same can be said for LB shifts.

4. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Walk On

Agreed. Only thing I think I'm probably guilty of is the read option. I definitely run it probably twice a quarter, so 8 times a game, ish. However, it's almost always in a different formation, and it's almost always done as a way for me to get out of the middle of the field because I hate being stuck there.

I'll work on limiting that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Everything's cool except that first paragraph:grumpy:

6. jandy

jandy Walk On

I'm glad we're opening a discussion here in regards to playcalling and general gameplay. This is not intended to call anyone out, but simply to have an open forum in which we can talk about plays/formations/pre-snap adjustments that may be a little TOO effective.

Running with my quarterback is a huge part of my offense, but there are a litany of ways to get him in space other than the read option or triple option; I try to limit myself to 2 or 3 a game if I can. Speed options, QB Powers, QB Wraps all are effective ways to run with the QB. However, I don't think that read option is a money play 100% of the time. Yes, the read option can really hurt man-to-man defense, but a zone blitz can completely mitigate its effectiveness.

Jbek After seeing firsthand what the Nittany Lions are capable of both offensively and defensively last week, I'm not taking you lightly in the slightest. That was as impressive a win as I have seen and and I can't wait to bring my Ducks to Happy Valley.
    Once again you get the #1 team in the land. Let's see what you can do this time around ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  8. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I hope to always improve and diversify my game. I am also open to constructive criticism and encourage everyone else to be as well.

After Spayer419 and I played a while back we talked openly about both of our games. Nobody is perfect and I appreciated everything he had to say in an open and honest manner. I think he felt the same.

I'm more than willing to talk with anyone in the same manner. We can all learn something and it's so much better than bickering about things.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yep, that's the purpose of these types of forums. Just want to cultivate some open dialogue ... and like I said, the level of play has been fantastic so far

10. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

This is also how we keep this league strong. Healthy rivalries where we all respect each other and strive to play great games together.