Some Thoughts on Cheese

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Feb 19, 2009
    Don't worry - it's not one of those threads.

Just thought I'd mention a couple of things.

We call anything overly repetitive cheese, but we only really talk about it on offense. We kind of leave the defenses alone ... until now.

First, let me say that base defenses are called that for a reason. Lining up in these sets should never be a foul. However, there are some things that get on my nerves when I see them:
    1. Every down press coverage. Some of us press literally on every play. The problem with this is that the penalty for it isn't severe enough. It's pretty tough to beat press coverage over the top ... which is why we overuse it.
    2. Lining up in unconventional sets. I know the 3-3-5 stops the power run, two-back, two-TE sets, but it shouldn't. If your opponent goes four wide, you might want to get at least a third corner in the game.Lining up base 4-3 or 3-4 against a four wide set shouldn't work, yet it often does. Doesn't mean we should do it, at least not every single time.
    3. Repetitive shifting. Feel free to move around, but if you're shifting seven or eight times before a snap, you may want to pick a spot.
    4. Manual shifting of multiple players. Don't move a guy, then change players and move another, and then do it again. You may choose a player and move him. Then you're locked into that guy.
    Anyway, here's my point: Cheese begets cheese. If you are pulling this stuff, your opponent will respond in kind, often running plays in a repetitive way, since the opponent's cheesy play has cut off all but a few possible play calls. Keep that in mind when you get ticked about your opponent slot-posting you to death.

Personally, I'd like to keep press coverage to third down only, or possibly not allow it on consecutive plays - something to keep us from going to that well each and every time. I press. I don't want it out of the game. I just don't want it to become standard pass defense, if you know what I mean. I consider #1 on that list to be the biggest issue, not because it's unstoppable, but because it has become seriously repetitive.

What do you guys think?

(Disclaimer: As with all discussions of this nature, resist the urge to ask "Is he talking about me?" because I'm not, and do not mention any member's play specifically. This is a general discussion on a general topic. There should be no pointing at all.)
  2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Jul 19, 2010
    I understand the press coverage thing. I know I have played in many games where you get sacked simply because the corners have jammed your wr and you cannot possibly get the throw off. On the other hand there have been plenty of games where I have done the same thing. I think if we go to a dynasty wide standard it would be much better than if we say "police it yourselves".
  3. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

Dec 26, 2010
    I totally agree with you, after all, this is a SIM league. And honestly (and Im sure we can all agree on this) College of NFL ball, the D never plays press every play ... so why are some of us? (I will admit I am guilty of this myself at times, playing it repeatedly)
  4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Aug 19, 2010
    I can destroy press coverage, but I hate playing the way I have to to make the pressing 24/7 teams pay. It takes away (a large piece of) the fun for me.
  5. bdub

bdub Walk On

Jul 26, 2010
    CPU plays press coverage on me most of the game to try to take away the short passing routes. There are a few plays that will eat press coverage alive though.