Someone Please Explain This To Me

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Baron, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

And by this, I mean this:

For those of you who can not view the video it is my Utah squad in PFP playing against Bulldog 's USC squad. At the 3:10 and 1:10 mark, respectively, in a 28-21 ball game, Bulldog called this play (reversed so the LOLB blitzes). The LOLB runs right past the RG on both plays and insta-sacks my QB.

Now I'm not saying that that sort of sack should never happen. When there are more blitzers than blockers, or if there's a twist on a zone blitz, that's cool. That's good football. But that's not what happened here. In both instances, the LOLB shows blitz and gets nose to nose with the RG, and the RG doesn't even contemplate blocking the blitzing LOLB.

And before someone asks me the respective ratings of the two players, that's irrelevant. I don't care if the OL was a 40 OVR walk on, and the LOLB was 99 in every rating. The OL should at least touch or contemplate touching the guy in the above scenario. If the OL get's insta-swimmed or bull-rushed, cool, but the above just does not happen. It doesn't.

This is just the latest in a series of frustrations for me with this game. The no-huddle "fix", the inability of zone coverage against the seam routes, the server instabilities (thankfully Bulldog recorded our game, lest I'd have no video of those two plays because I haven't had a recap or highlight uploaded since the "patch"), defenders standing pat as the ball-carrier / receiver runs right past them, or on the opposite end, DBs still running routes before the WR does and on and on and on.

Those issues, however, pale in comparison to what occurs in that video. It's just impossible to watch that video and think of a possible justification for that to occur in a football game.

Some caveats:

To paraphrase one of the best youtube videos ever: "I know there are way more important things than o-line blocking in a football video game, but this game is supposed to be our pleasant distraction from those things. But all we do is pay you money to put us in a bad mood every cycle."

I've immensely enjoyed my time here at TSO since I got here, and that enjoyment has increased exponentially since I've become a premier member. But if I'm to accept the notion that EA listens to our grievances on our communities, that the game changers can influence the process (which I know they have, the height and weight ratios alone certainly prove that), then I am compelled to post my thoughts here in the hopes that someone can tell me what in the name of Christ the above video means to EA. Because to me, it means the reduction of an otherwise phenomenal game and community to sheer aggravation every time this happens.

Appreciate any thoughts and comments you guys have.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

FWIW, those arent' the same play. The 2nd one was the nickle 3-3-5 play you linked, but the 1st one looks like the 3-4 odd Storm Brave play (flipped from the pic) which brings 5 instead of just 4.

4. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Weren't you just defending the fact that you don't troll people on TSO?

[​IMG]

5. Baron

Ah, you are correct sir.

I would argue that my analysis still stands: 5 blockers versus 5 rushers in the first play with the RG being worthless where it was 5 blockers versus 4 rushers and the RG being worthless on the second play.

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I can't explain the 2nd one, but I think you "shake blitzed" yourself on the 1st one. We all know the shake blitz exploit worked because the defensive user kept swizzling his defenders around, keeping them in motion so that they were moving at the snap of the ball which confuses the hell out of the O-line AI. On that 1st play, the LMLB was creeping in because that's where he lines up on that blitz. You audibled which caused him to move back and then had to creep back in again. You then snapped the ball as he was still creeping so he was moving at the snap and I bet that's what confused the AI. Had you just waited for him to get set I'm sure he would've been picked up (I play a 3-4 and I've never had a MLB fly through untouched like that before).

Obviously this is nothing more than a workaround and it sucks that we need to use workarounds, but if you wait for the D to get set first, I'd bet you won't see that (at least as often). Like I said, though, I don't have an explanation for the 2nd sack.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Baron

I play a 3-4 as well and I hadn't seen that sort of thing. And when I'd brought the issue up in skype, Peench and some others had pointed to the LMLB being in motion might be the cause of it. Ok that's cool, least I know what I can do on my end for that type of issue. Still leaves me bent over by the second sack.

Appreciate the response, still hoping for someone to explain the 2nd one or at least tell me that EA knows about this issue and is working on the o-line AI for future cycles.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Lol how is that trolling? Just saying I don't think this is worthy of a thread, CPU does shit like this ALL the time, that's why it's an EA game

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Shit like this drives me batty , you can spend hours making a duck drive a scooter to midfield but can't make a guard understand concept of blocking a guy that crosses him ? SMH

• Like Like x 1
  10. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

The guys at EA have no idea what kind of strategy and technique goes into blocking schemes. Actually, I take that back. They have former football players so they should know at least the basics but for some reason they continue to leave the blocking AI at an infantile level.

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    It actually has more to do with a speed boost that the defender gets. He auto goes into top speed if he is moving. Hard to fix since it essentially is the basis of acceleration.

That to me explains the first one. It happens all the time in real life. Guard looks left to check on DT or MLB and OLB busts the B gap wide open. I would like to see some other stuff, but until we get to next gen consoles, I think we are stuck with that.

The second one I can't explain.... sending an e-mail now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    BTW, Baron gets 100 interwebz for bringing up an issue in an appropriate manner. Thanks for that.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Baron

Aye, and I've seen it too, and the more I look at the first one the more I need to make sure the D is set before I snap the ball.

Probably didn't look as much at each play as I should have. But still, some small comfort in people telling me I'm not insane when it comes to the second one.

Totally not gonna lie on this: I Peench had to calm me down a bit but he was right. Bitching here'd only make things worse so trying to be calm about it. Sides not like it took away an undefeated season. Although, I do so enjoy beating that douchebag Bulldog.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Are you seeing this often? have you tried using slide protect? I know its not desirable, but it may solve the problem.

15. Baron

I've seen it more than just this particular instance, but this was the first time I had as much video for it.

As to slide protect, I just feel like using that will free up the RE on that play, even with it being 4 vs. 5. :/

16. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I'd say give it a try and if you still seeing this, make another vid and send it over to me. Thanks

17. Baron

Only issue would be that, lately, I can't seem to upload any sort of highlights to the EA server. Plus I don't have a recording device myself. This thread is the result of Bulldog 's handiwork. Might try to lab with him or I Peench to see if your solution works.

Will keep you updated.

18. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

Baron That video is frustrating to watch. I agree with you that it has reached the point where its just beyond ridiculous.

SMH @ seasonalredhead trolling another person.

19. btbam91

btbam91 Walk On

I know it isn't the same, but that video reminded me of this!

20. Baron

Trust me, that sort of play happens PLENTY of times when I run plays with a pulling guard. And the LBs doing it certainly aren't Ray Lewis.

But that's at least understandable. That second sack still boggles my mind.

Good video though.

21. ItsAllAboutTheU

ItsAllAboutTheU Walk On

I know exactly what you mean. Anytime I have ever tried to run the Power O, traditionally my favorite running play, and the LBs blitz, no one picks them up and they always come free. 90% of the time it ends up being a TFL too.