Something needs to be done about this.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by klaximilian, Aug 8, 2010.

1. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Something needs to be done about this.

Maybe I am the only one, but personally last season when I joined OMFL, I was pretty peeved by the number of marquee players that were moved to different teams in exchange for some "speed" players. In my opinion, if we are going to call ourselves a sim style league, we shouldn't limit the term "sim" to our style of play. We should also implement rules in terms of how we handle our front office. And I'm sorry Mustang, but this is a prime example of what this league SHOULD NOT allow. Trading a player like Peyton Manning. Hell will freeze over before that happens.

I have been talking to quite a few people around the league about this, and I think its pretty bad the way some owners dismantle their teams to build around speed. I think there needs to be some sort of discretion is how players are dealt to teams. My suggestion a while ago, while I think is a solid idea, it possibly be tweaked a little just to suit the league better as a whole. That idea was to implement a rule of a cornerstone player, or a guy who is the face of the Franchise that cannot be moved to a different team, PERIOD. The idea is that we challenge our owners to use a little more tact and skill to build their teams from ground up, while maintaining the realism of the league by not trying to turn their team into a fantasy team of speed. I mean no disrespect to the players that have done it this way in the past, but I feel it takes away the legitimacy of the term "sim" to try and create a team solely around one attribute that clearly this game leans too heavily on. It's damn near the same thing as calling play action pass all game, or running the same plays over and over. You are relying on one aspect of the game instead of trying to win based on skill, tact, and strategy. It's not sim, not one bit.

So my suggestion would be to create a list (determined by the owners) of players that cannot be moved regardless. I also would like to challenge owners to stop relying so heavily on the speed attribute. I don't mind an owner that likes to have speed on their team, but not sacrificing their star players just to get it.

If we truly want to call ourselves a sim league, lets build our teams like they would be in a sim league.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

There's always another spot I can add to the cap book for speed and put a limit on how many 90+ speed guys you can have on the squad.

I agree with you, Sci. I dislike people who look at just speed at if it's a player's overall. Yeah, speed is always good to have, but how's that "speed first" idea working in Oakland in real life?

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Thanks for the suggestion, but the rules have been tweaked as of now for what will be allowed. You can call it 'sim' all you want, but the funniest part of being in an online league is not the PLAY but the TRADING. We have limited a ton, how many players a team can move. All team trades were passed through a committee and were fair trades. I will never allow teams to have 'non-tradable' players. We will start to consider an owners time here in the OMFL before allowing them to trade marquee players, but I will never be told that I cant trade drew brees or marques colston or any of my guys, if it betters my team to fit my style of play. I would SUCK with a team who is set on a power running game because my style fits a speed offense who passes the ball. It was MY trade of brees which allowed me the team to get to the NFC Championship and if you don't allow me to move brees then I don't get there. Guys should be allowed to make the moves to fit their style and to fit the team they want. Trades, if fair, will always pass through. You can say what you want about the Manning deal, but the Colts had a good young qb that they drafted and it back fired a bit. I don't want to keep guys from bettering their teams or from doing stupid trades that back fire. It's all part of being a GM. I do agree, if a newbie moves in and wants to move manning then NO. Mustang and myself for that matter, stayed and should be allowed to make whatever moves we deem necessary. If Vishal is a good enough GM to pull of the deals for Bush and Manning then kudos to him and he was rewarded for it.

4. natedawg212000

I am sorry win but that wont happen here either. Its bull guys that you want to keep guys from building the team THEY want. If all it took was speed to win then there would be a lot more championships on my wall, but it takes more. I totally disagree with everything that is being said here. I dont mind discussing, but we will NOT hinder a owners ability to trade for talent that fits them. The speed thing is just not a good suggestion. So if I have 10 players out of the box with 90s speed I am not forced to drop some? no way, not going to happen.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I never said how many guys. And heck, it could be 20 or so guys on a roster minimum.

And I was just agreeing with Sci. Perhaps you might want to talk to him first.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

As far as the franchise players, though, I am with you, Nate: I think guys should be allowed to build whatever team they want. That is part of the fun of it is seeing, "what if".

7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

This is what I would consider an ideal list of players that cant be moved.

1. Peyton Manning
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Drew Brees (He wasn't nearly as great as he has been since in N.O, there is no way they let him go now)
    4. Aaron Rodgers
    5. Larry Fitzgerald
    6. Brian Urlacher
    7. Patrick Willis
    8. Demarcus Ware
    9. Jason Witten
    10. Andre Johnson
    11. Mario Williams
    12. Reggie Wayne
    13. Dallas Clark
    14. Adrian Peterson
    15. Darrelle Revis
    16. Troy Polamalu
    17. James Harrison
    18. Philip Rivers
    19. Chris Johnson

And I think there are some rookies that absolutely should not be traded, like those chosen to steer the ship for those lowly teams and are expected to be the future, i.e. Sam Bradford.

8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

EDIT, see Post #10

9. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

BTW, this rule would not handcuff teams that aren't very good. I don't believe I included a player on that list that plays for a crappy team. If you are the Seahawks, Bears, Browns, Skins, Phins, Bills, Bengals, Jags, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, or Lions, you have plenty of room to makes moves.

if you chose to be the Colts, you know that are you going to be stuck with Peyton Manning. Gasp!

10. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

You can build all the speed you want. No one is stopping you. I think its bull though that people sacrifice their Franchise Player to get a couple of average-good speed players.

That's not realistic at all.

If it's speed you want, no one is stopping you. There needs to be a line drawn on how you go about obtaining it though.

11. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Isn't speed being the only attribute that matters been fixed this year with locomotion?

12. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Yes, I think so.

13. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

That should help a little, but I agree with you about franchise players like Manning or Brees getting traded. Never been a fan

14. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

My heart dropped when I saw Warner, Fitzgerald, and Wells missing from Cardinals when I took them over.

15. natedawg212000

Sorry guys I won't allow this. If i want to trade brees I will. I will NEVER handicap a GM's ability to build the team he wants, period. There will never be a do not trade list, or a cap on 90s players, or anything that hurts a guys ability to build a team. Vishal pulled off some great deals and because of that he had a Championship team, I won't take that from him. The best way to solve this is to not have as much turnover, which we will. another great thing is it ALWAYS resets itself every year.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I see both sides of this issue, I really do. I hope that locomotion helps balance out the speed factor like EA says it will. And you're right Nate: the best way to counter the issues with trading "franchise" players is to not have turnover in ownership.

17. natedawg212000

The reason i dont have a issue with Mustang trading Manning and most didn't have an issue with me trading Brees is because we are STILL here and are core owners. There are major limits on how many trades can be done, which make it VERY difficult to trade a major player because to trade one you have to get enough back, and with the limits what you can get back. We also have a trade committee that makes sure all trades are 'fair'. IMO if you can make it fit in our system, then you earn the right to get the trade, franchise player or not.

18. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

We can't tell owners who they can and can not trade, we have limits set as far as how many players a team can trade but I am totally against creating some list of untradables. I agree with Nate one of the funnest aspects of playing online franchise is building your team the way you want. The issue with speed seems to have been fixed quite a bit this year too. We can't handcuff owners that seems very non-sim in itself.

19. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Well, I didn't expect this to go over well. I didn't expect it to be completely shut out, but it is what it is. I guess I have to get used to this sort of thing, whether I agree with it or not.

20. natedawg212000

Shut out would be closing the thread and calling you stupid, neither of which I think or did. I get your argument and your side, but it's not what I built this league to be. I played in a league that tried the exact thing that you are saying and it wasn't fun and it didnt last. 75% of the guys in this league know they will never win a championship, but it's fun to try and trade and draft a team that fits your style and create 'your' team. I hate out of the box teams and LOVE the trading aspect of the league to help put a team on the field that 'I' built, just like real life Coaches and GMs do all the time.

21. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Well it clearly wasn't a democracy, although it still wouldn't have passed given the responses. It's cool though, I guess you have a vision for your league and if you want to follow that vision, you can make the decisions based on the direction you see it going in.

22. natedawg212000

well we can do it if the league wants, I just won't play here. Not being the 'little boy' who took his ball and went home, its just not enjoyable to play in a league that does that kind of thing. I've ran, played, and managed online leagues for 12 years and I know it hurts ownership and leagues. If others feel the same as you we can take the needed steps but personally I feel with the restrictions that we have placed, which makes it harder than ever to get a great/blockbuster trade, that we will really hinder these kind of deals that you want to stay away from. I have heard the complaints about fantasy building and other complaints, and we have sense added things that make it harder. I just think your suggestion is too much and I want no part of it. I don't care for the calling out about being a democracy because the owners of this league have a huge voice and get what the majority want 99% of the time. It's whatever though.

23. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Sorry you felt you were being called out, but you just said loud and clear that it's your way or no way. If you feel threatened by the fact that I said its not a democracy, that's not my fault. You just said it yourself, so clearly you shouldn't have any issue with it.

I made a suggestion, you shut it out. I accept it, lets move on and not get emotional over it.

24. natedawg212000

Don't be a punk, no one getting emotional over anything.

25. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

If I called you a punk, you would be ready to kick me out of the league. I guess that's the way it is here, right?