Sony PS3/PSN Hardware Failure...

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by HackGolfer, Mar 1, 2010.

1. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Sony PS3/PSN Hardware Failure...

FYI.. For those of you who have not heard the news, Sony's PSN system suffered a major crash over the weekend, and may have rendered multiple online leagues useless...

It is advised to not try and log on to your PSN account at all, if you do not have a PS3 Slim, otherwise all of your data could be wiped clean. A few people have reported suffering the RLOD on their PS3 as a result of this bug..

2. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

... bump

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yup shit is effed up!

I tried to play PS3 last night and I couldnt play Heavy Rain.....bummer

4. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

How is "Heavy Rain"?

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I rented it....it is excellent. Looks like a game with multiple play throughs........it is very addicting.

7. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Updates from Sony's Forums:

Update 1: Sony is looking into the problem and will post updates.

Update 2: 120GB / 250GB Slim owners are reporting to be able to connet.

Update 3: Some are speculating that this problem is because of time signature problems on the PS3 due to the PS3 processing for a leap year. It seems to be a calender bug. (Rumored)

Update 4: Restarting the PS3 and changing the date to 2008 and below seem to be working for some.

Update 5: This is an global problem and all SCE stations are working on a solution.

Update 6: Trophies are now apearing but only for when you last synced them to the network.

Update 7: Playstation Official Site is being updated while this problem is being solved. New designed site will be visble when this problem is solved (or later on today).

Update 8: Debugged PS3's are also having this issue (Worldwide problem and not just few).

Update 9: Systems are coming back onine and games are now playabe. Not all games but older titles are no starting to work for some users.

Update 10: Its seems to be a hardware problem and nothing to do with firmware update. Still speculations are saying that a firmware update will be up by the end of the week (long wait!!) to solve the problem. Servers are still up and Slims are connecting so it might just be a problem with original PS3's.

Update 11: Citing unnamed "developers and studios", British site Develop say that the issue is affecting titles currently in production for the PlayStation 3, with debug consoles - used by developers to actually make games - thrown "into a rebooting cycle, due to an endlessly-looping error message".

Update 12: It appears that this problem is only affecting PS3 Phat units. All Slim consoles seem to be working perfectly fine and can connect online. Same goes for all PSP units as well.

Sony has said that the problem should be fixed by today.

8. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Yea this hit my PS3 around 5pm EST.

9. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Sweet...Fixed today. Well at least I can still watch my Jenna Jameson videos....Hurray!!

10. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Glad i havent turned on my ps3 since i still have my day 1 of the ps3. Got this one the day it came out and still going strong with no problems definately dont want this problem

11. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

this error is on PSN's end, i have the first model 60gig fat as well, cant sign in to psn. we need to just wait untill the problem gets fixed on sony's end imo, heres some info i found

Quote:
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

I understand from your e-mail that you are unable to access the PlayStation Network.

The PlayStation Network is currently unavailable due to a technical problem and you may experience the error 8001050F.

I can confirm that we are aware of this issue and are working to resolve the problem. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. I would also advise you to continue to try to connect to the PlayStation network.

For updates regarding this issue, please visit our website: www.playstation.co.uk

Should you have any further, please call PlayStation Support: 0844 736 0595, where an advisor will be happy to help you further.

Our operating hours are 8am - 10pm Monday to Friday, 10am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.

Yours sincerely,

Martin O'Brien
    PlayStation Team
    Sony Computer Entertainment UK
    PlayStation Support: 0844 736 0595
    E-Mail: Help@uk.playstation.com
    Web: http://www.playstation.co.uk/

Those numbers are for UK callers.

Quote:
    have been reading all the responses and claims people have been making about the error all over the internet

What people have managed to establish so far is the following:

The PS3 has two clocks

A system clock

And a OS clock

When you boot your PS3 up, the system clock says (or should say), "Its March 01 2010, set yourself as March 01 2010 mr OS"

The system clock is always running and never stops, even when your PS3 is off, it has a backup battery and recharges when your PS3 is on

Basically, it runs 24/7 counting upwards

The clock can not be altered by software or by hacking it and it only counts upwards

NOW, the system clock thinks theres a Feb 29th, so instead of rolling over to March 1st, it went over to Feb 29th and now when it tries to compare the system clock with the OS clock when you load your PS3 up, the OS clock thinks, "woooooaaahh, **bleep** is going on here" and it sets it to 1999

PS3 models affected:

CECHA01 - affected
    CECHE01 - affected
    CECHG01 - affected
    CECHH01 - affected
    CECHK01 - affected
    CECHL01 - not affected
    CECHP01 - not affected

Now, theres two solutions:

A. Kill the system clock so it restarts (you do this by taking the battery out in your PS3 + void your warranty)

B. Wait till March 2nd and hope that the clock fliks over to March 1st

Now the above is what everyone is talking about on the internet, but from my knowledge, I can tell you we are possibly looking at a mass recall by Sony

Why? Because as I said the system clock only counts UPWARDS and never downwards

And it is fully protected, even if Sony came to your house and done a hypervisor call on your PS3 to reset your clock, it wouldn't work

The ONLY way to reset the clock is to take out the battery, thus, voiding your warranty

Firmware update would also resolve NOTHING because its not a software issue, the software is perfect, its a hardware issue

Even if Sony worked some miracle and brought out an update, 50% of PS3 users don't even have internet access, or no internet on their PS3's, so how will they update? USB? Game disc?

The fact of the matter is Sony is in great trouble, they don't know where they are going to end up after this

So what WILLSony do?

Easy answer, wait until 12:01AM GMT (the system clock runs in GMT no matter what timezone you are in) and hope that the system clock fliks over to March 1st

But what if it fliks over to February 30th?

Then Sony will have no choice but to do a recall, because as explained before it is unpatchable and there is no working solution unless you void your warranty

So it looks like we will all have PS3 Slims with no backwards compatibility and no linux and we will have no gaming in our living rooms for the next 3 months

All thanks to Sony Computer Entertainment

Brilliant Sony, you really outdid yourselves this time

Not to mention the hundreds of court cases they'll have to go through

Imagine if you had bought a PS3 on February 28th

And then the next day, BAM, its a useless media player

Quote:
    To start off, THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, but you should already have no warranty left unless you were lucky enough to find a new 60gb unit in the store in the past year....so, here it goes.

I tested this on 3 60gb units and it worked on all three......checha01 models.

Turn off you unit and unplug it:

I took and opened up the PS3 unit, stripped it down to where I could take the motherboard out. On the bottom of the motherboard, there is a green battery with a black and red wire. UNPLUG IT!

put the unit back together and start it up. Sign onto the PSN network and everything WORKS.....its is that simple.

Then shut the unit back down and unplug it again...don't want to get shocked......

Plug the battery back in that is on the bottom of the motherboard and reassemble.

Turn it back on, set your new date and your back up and running....It is that simple

Quote:
    What you also should have done while you had your PS3 apart to unplug the battery.... was replace the thermo compound on the CPU and GPU with artic silver then put your 60 gb ps3 back together... Because after this problem with the internal clock is fixed your still going to have to deal with the YLOD.....

Quote:
    The PS3 is storing some form of date in GMT, then modifying that to get whatever you see in the on-screen clock. That modification process seems to be fine--the system can take 2/28/2010, 9PM GMT, add four hours, and get 3/1/2010, 1AM random time zone.

What's apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It's either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can't do because the front-end calendar doesn't have a 2/29/2010, and **bleep** explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it's hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system's been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I'm less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)

Now quit making random posts asking what caused it, quit making **bleep**ing posts about how its the network. Sony lied to you about that. Yes i know, unbelievable that sony would lie!!!!!! they are a corporation, get over it, they are gonna lie to save their asses from admitting that this is their fault. Which in a way can be or it couldn't be depending on who coded the actual syscon software.

Refurbs are not affected by this because their battery was already reset when they got reflowed by Sony, their internal clock was reset back 2006(and dont say well my date says 2010, you are wrong. System clock and internal clock run seperately of each other and often do not have matching times if the rct was reset) or they possibly have a newer version of the syscon software that the slim uses to avoid this situation.

this shit wont be fixed until it fixes itself, and that may be march 3rd, im not risking turning my game on, for fear of bricking it, i'll hurt simeone if i see the YLOD because of sonys flawed system

12. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

this error is on PSN's end, i have the first model 60gig fat as well, cant sign in to psn. we need to just wait untill the problem gets fixed on sony's end imo, heres some info i found

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    this shit wont be fixed until it fixes itself, and that may be march 3rd, im not risking turning my game on, for fear of bricking it, i'll hurt simeone if i see the YLOD because of sonys flawed system

13. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

not sure why that posted twice???

14. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

thank god i was drinking and having sex this whole weekend or i would be just as upset as this guy,

[YOUTUBE]aimPRKfqKGw[/YOUTUBE]

15. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

That's a hilarious video....this problem sounds a lot like the Y2K bug lol

16. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

from what ive read there are two things that are going to happen.

1) 24 hours from the time the problem started it will be fixed. in the ps3's view 1 date is messed up.

2) that is wrong and sony will have to fix it somehow.

17. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

more stuff to read

18. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

more stuff to read

19. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

From Sony's Twitter Account:

20. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

It's always the fat ones....

Diabetes, Heart Problems, No PSN Connection...

21. NDCOLTS1979

lmfao they say it leads to alot of issues

22. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

remember what hitler had to say about ncaa????

[YOUTUBE]hoENVnD3J8w[/YOUTUBE]

23. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

My fat PS3 is still working fine I used it before I found out about the error. The error never came up on my system.

However, my PS3 is around 1 year old, 80G.

24. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

It sounds like most of the cases have happened in the oldest ps3's that have the SD Memory card slots and work backward compatible with the PS2 discs. Those who have either the latest 80 gb or 160 gb systems have only been rarely affected, and there are a few reports of some PS3 Slim's being affected..

Sony advises everyone to just keep their systems off, whether it had the error earlier or not, so that the problem does not continue to spread..

25. NDCOLTS1979

Yeah i have kept mine off. It really sucks especially with mlb the show hitting the shelf tonight. I am grabbing mine at midnight and really hoping i can play it tonight