Soon...Streaming and uploading videos of Video Games To Be Illegal

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jms493, Jun 30, 2011.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

alot of info there.....but I dont think it will pass....would suck major ballz if it does.

3. K-FaceKilla

K-FaceKilla Walk On

shit with all the other problems we have with our country u think they might want to do something about that. maybe start my actually arresting the people who brought about the recession in the first place? just a thought. maybe break up these to big to fail banks or the federal reserve.

not trying to hijack your thread and that bill is complete bull

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

looks like it is about making money off the streaming and videos. I dont but I am sure they would just ban them from youtube and justin...

5. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Hell, Its not like we're selling copies of our Videos for money.

Good God, Obama and the rest of his Crew needs to Go.

Congress and House included if this passes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

President Obama's fault?

*Leaves Thread*

• Like Like x 2
  7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Yeah. That was pretty hilarious.

In bamagrad 's defense, though, Obama did stop by my house last week just to kick my dog.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

not worried, i will just break the law.

I sped the whole way home from work...no repercussions

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

certain games would really be hurt by this... COD for instance, it gets a TON of free advertising from people that play the game and post videos on youtube.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Just to hit you over the head with this, that means that if you stream a game like Street Fighter 4 or Starcraft 2 (or a movie or a song etc) only 10 or more times in a full half year, and if you make a bit of money doing it, you either need to have a license from Capcom or Blizzard etc or you risk going to jail.

So do you have to make money for it to be illegal?

11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

jms493

Definitely need cliffs!

[​IMG]

12. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

jms493

I am going to call my buddy who works a US representative. I will talk to him about this more, and give everyone his take.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'm wondering how something like this would impact NCAA.....would using the dynasty wire be still considered OK since it's all through EA?

Damn lawyers, they should all be taken out back and poked in the eye with a sharp stick.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gowazzucougs

In fully reading this my take there are several different things going on here. Basically the TV/Movie industry does not like people using their stuff and posting it on the internet. However, in drafting their law they have encompass so many things, that youtube will almost need to be shut down. The only real question, I have is this making money requirement, if I post something on youtube I am not making any money, but is youtube making money?

Something similar to this is the posting of highlights between NBA and MLB. People can easily post highlights of NBA games, and games from like 25 years ago, but MLB will not let people post clips of any MLB game on youtube. The NBA has embraced the 21st century, while MLB is a bunch of old men who cannot grasp the greatness of the internet.

15. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

yeah i'd have to imagine a lot of the game companies wouldn't even be behind this bill, since a lot of games encourage videos to be made.

16. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

read the article

"But the good money is on it being passed. It enjoys bipartisan support; it was cosponsored by two Democrats and a Republican. Its goals were identified and proposed by the Obama administration. And if anyone in government is on the fence, it has the weight of very significant traditional entertainment industry lobbying behind it."

• Like Like x 2
  17. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

You know the Obama-Biden administration consists of thousands of people right? He only handpicks about 15 positions. Those 15 make up his Cabinet. What Cabinet member brought this issue up? Any of those thousands of people could have brought this up and since they are under his umbrella our President's name is brought up. Just like the Presidents before him. Even if he disagrees with it. I'm pretty sure you grasp the concept of our government so their is no need to go any further.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

members he picked that goes along with his agenda. I highly doubt any president picks people that doesn't agree with his line of thinking..

• Like Like x 1
  19. gowazzucougs

jms493

Okay, I talked to my buddy who works for a US Rep. It sounds as if the government would have to prove that by showing the copyright footage that the rightful owner lost in value at least that specific dollar amount. Thus if the threshold, let say is $2500 which I think was discussed, they must show the company lost that much money. There are a couple of things off hand I take away from my conversation with my friend. This $2500 or $5000 threshold is very high, and an argument could be made with my defense attorney hat on, that streaming video games, or posting them on youtube is free advertisement and encourages people to buy the game. Now, you would need some study backing this up, but that is a start.

Lastly, there is no House Bill, thus there is no real concern till that bill comes across.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

It's not like the government can just start pulling video from the Internet. EA would have to find it and get whatever website to pull it. That's why on YouTube you will see "This video had been removed due to a copyright claim by [insert company]".